Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My Speer hammock suspension

I took a bit of a different route on my Speer kit hammock. I started with a length or cord about 36" long (something like Amsteel would work fine) and tied that into a loop using a Double Fishermans's knot. Then using a Prussic knot attached the loop to the descending rings. Next, I used the normal gathering method as laid out in Ed's book for the end of the hammock. I took that and folded it over the Double Fisherman's knot and secured the fabric with a tie wrap. Tested it all out and it held well with no slipping of the fabric. Here's some pics:

Anyone see any issues with this method? I gain about 6" of hammock length on each end over using the overhand knot that Ed talks about in his book.

John

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I would feel better if you at least wrapped the rope around the material so it is cinching down on it. I can'tbelieve the wire tie doesn't slip or just break.
    Last edited by Dutch; 08-26-2008 at 18:38.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I worried about that as well, but there is no way that tie wrap is going anywhere! It may break and if that does become an issue, I will have to whip the ends instead. There was absolutely no slipping of any fabric under the tie wrap and I gave it a pretty good toss and turn test.

John

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    *cough* sheet bend *cough*
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Similar to a sheet bend, that is what got me thinking, but I don't think I could trust one in a situation like this.

John

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If it were me then, I'd use a double sheet bend with an overhand knot to tie it off for security. But it's not my hammock. It's yours. Let your conscience rule.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Personally I would trust a sheet pend over the tie the way you have it. The tie is fine for the whipping. I don't like the idea of the tie being the only thing keeping the fabric and rope joined. The breaking strength of those ties is not all that high last I looked at them. Something <100# if I remember right.

I have hung from a sheet bend and it held my 250# just dandy. I've also used that knot in my theatrical rigging for major loads and never had one give way.Even a larkshead would be a step up in my opinion. Just my own thoughts.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    If it were me then, I'd use a double sheet bend with an overhand knot to tie it off for security. But it's not my hammock. It's yours. Let your conscience rule.
    Thanks for the input. I'll whip the end. Using all those knots would shorten the hammock too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Personally I would trust a sheet pend over the tie the way you have it. The tie is fine for the whipping. I don't like the idea of the tie being the only thing keeping the fabric and rope joined. The breaking strength of those ties is not all that high last I looked at them. Something <100# if I remember right.

I have hung from a sheet bend and it held my 250# just dandy. I've also used that knot in my theatrical rigging for major loads and never had one give way.Even a larkshead would be a step up in my opinion. Just my own thoughts.
    Thanks, I read that sheetbends are not as reliable when there is a huge difference between the materials being tied. A wad of material and a 3.8mm cord seems to be quite a bit of difference. I'll whip the ends. You are right about the weakness of the tie wraps although I don't think the pressure is in a direction which would break the tie, but to be safe....

John

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is my understanding the sheetbend is used when there _is_ a considerable difference in thickness between the two lines. It has been a long time tho and I could be wrong about that. What _is_ critical is the knot be tied correctly. The trailing ends (loose ends) of each part needs to be on the _same side_ of the knot. In other words,,, the ends should be above each other rather than diagonally aligned. That aspect is not well known but very important. The opposite side configuration is very unstable and can upset easily. The same side alignment is very stable and holds tight. Using a sheet bend would not shorten the hammock to any great degree over what you have there is I picture this correctly. I will sometimes take the precaution of whipping the trailing end to the standing line so that everything remains in one piece .

As was stated above... it is your piece and you need to geel comfortable. If what you have meets your comfort standards... then stay with it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast