Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Zippers on a curve

I want to do a u-shaped bug net opening for the hammock I am working on. This means running the zipper around a curve. I know the coil zippers can do this, but I can not find any chart of other figures that give me a radius to follow for the size zipper I am going to use.

I plan on using a #5 continuous coil zipper with a double tab slider so I can run the zipper both from the inside and out. Any suggestions as to the sharpness of this curve. I want to make it as reasonably tight as I can but not crimp it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    you don't really need a chart, all you should have to do is, sew the netting directly on the hamock body, then sew the longest piece of zipper first (the one on the outside of the curve) then, the shortest one, open the zipper and cut the mesh, fold and do your second seam
    hope it helps
    FRED

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Ramblinrev,

I'm not sure if this would help or not, but a few years ago when I was doing the zippers for a couple of diy tarp tents, I started by pinning both ends of the zipper where I wanted them to end up (right on top of the netting). Then, I also pinned the middle of it. The rest of the arc I sorta just curved around in between those points, which to me, seemed to help prevent any parts from curving too sharply.

It may just be a process of pinning it on there, and then moving and re-pinning (hopefully not TOO many times!)

Best wishes on your zipper! Keep us posted!

Perkolady

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Ramblinrev,

I'm not sure if this would help or not, but a few years ago when I was doing the zippers for a couple of diy tarp tents, I started by pinning both ends of the zipper where I wanted them to end up (right on top of the netting). Then, I also pinned the middle of it. The rest of the arc I sorta just curved around in between those points, which to me, seemed to help prevent any parts from curving too sharply.

It may just be a process of pinning it on there, and then moving and re-pinning (hopefully not TOO many times!)

Best wishes on your zipper! Keep us posted!

Perkolady
    This is what I did too when I put the U-shaped zipper on my DMB. As you form the curve and pin the second side down you will have a feeling for whether the zipper is being bent too sharply or not to "make the curve". I went ahead and pinned both sides of the zipper down pretty solidly also, and then ran the zipper through the curve to make sure it was going to be OK.

Here's a picture of my curve.
    zipper-curve.jpg
    I'd guess that the distance from the corner cut by the curve to the points on both sides where the zipper transitions between curved and straight (i.e., where you'd put the pins on the furthest arcs of the curve) is 6-8 inches.

Hope this helps, but knowing you, you're in the projects room already figuring it out for yourself

Grizz