Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I don't know how tall you are, but the HH Expedition is smaller. It is better to get something that is better suited to you than to get something too small and not like it.
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You could eliminate #4 with whoopie slings and a marlin spike, and you could also get rid of the figure nines by learning the very simple prussic knot. These are much cheaper and less hardware to loose or forget at home. I have tried to keep my equipment on the low budget side and this system has worked great for me, but for each his/her own. You just got to get out there and try a few things. One more suggestion is to try and find a forum member close who would let you try out different suspensions or hammock that they use.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    yeah - i am very torn - cost vs what i know is probably a better product - but from what i am gathering the cheaper one is no slouch by any means - $127 for everything to get started or $175 just for the hammock

I am 5'6" 165 lbs

Hammock
    Seaside Elite Naturale
    Tarp
    HG camo cuben
    While NineIze Firegure-9s have a place, I don't think that they're well suited for tarp guy lines. Most of the time, you have enough flexibility to stake in that adjustment isn't really needed. Some tensioners (shock cord, rubber bands, or these) might be a good compliment on your tarp. Prussics can provide additional adjustability, if you think you need it.

One thing that you didn't mention (since it is kind of out of context) that I missed when I first started was insulation. A simple sleeping bag isn't going to cut it. While most 20-24" wide sleeping pads can provide under insulation, they're less comfortable and easy to move off of. Some kind of underquilt is a good idea, though not absolutely necessary (you can make due with CCF/Thermarest!).
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    for insulation...at the moment i am considering this a warm weather solution - if needed i will go with my thermarest and then the next purchase would be an underquilt

i guess my other concern is availibility - the WBBB will probably take a few weeks to get as far as I can tell - I have trip coming up on July 13 I would like to try and use this for and I suspect that would be cutting it close if even possible

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i had to go with the hennessy due to current cost constraints and also delivery time on the warbonnet - if i decide i like hammock camping and want to upgrade...the option is always there of course

thanks everyone for your input - this is a great forum