Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Trip Report: Burlingame State Park, RI

So this last weekend the wife and I went on a car camping trip to Burlingame State Park in RI. We usually go there a few times a year for some relaxation.

Well, overall, the weekend was good. Here is the story…

Thursday morning, my wife and I packed up and hit the road to Burlingame State Park in RI. When we arrived, I unloaded all the gear and sent my wife on her way to get some groceries, while I set up the entire camp in the 95F weather. No big deal. A couple hours later, she comes back with the food to a fully set up campsite, which consisted of the portable cabin (a 7 man tent complete with air bed), a screen house around a picnic table, a large tarp suspended about the screen house, and the easiest but...my WBBB & Superfly.

P6240043.jpg

We proceed to relax a little, and then go out for a nice dinner. We had a great seafood dinner, steamers, flounder, wine, and some dessert. We went back to camp, had a nice campfire, relaxed, drank some wine, and went to sleep. About 2 in the morning I woke with a stomach ache. I thought that it was probably gas. So, I tried to tough it out…still hurts, pain is getting worse. So, I went to the bathroom…3 times…to try and work it out. No change. It was a very severe burning ache with a stabbing pain right through to my back . The pain was about a 7 on a scale of 1-10. It was painful enough that it prevented me from sleeping, even in my wonderfluly comfortable hammock. About 6 o’clock I had enough. I asked my wife to take me to the doctor, urgent care, or the ER. She asked me if I thought I needed to…well, I don’t see doctors for anything, so if I ask to see one, something is serious.

We got in the car and drove to the ER. I spent the first half hour filling out paperwork. Then they finally saw me. They asked me a bunch of questions, then hooked me up to an IV of saline and gave me some morphine for the pain. Ahh…that took the stomach pain away, but did not touch the stabbing pain in my back. After a few rounds of questions and a bunch of blood work, they thought that it could be my Gall Bladder. So they did an EKG of my heart (they had to cover their bases), listened to my lungs, tested my liver and kidney functions, then did an Ultrasound of my Gall Bladder, Liver, and Kidneys. Everything checked out A-Okay! They have no idea what the issue was. So they gave me 40mg of Nexium and the doctor’s phone number and sent me on my way.

By that evening I was feeling alright, and by the next (Saturday) morning, I felt fine. I have no idea what the issue was, it was not food poisoning. I have felt fine ever since.

After that, the rest of the weekend was great. I spent some time on the salt pond in my kayak. We sat next to the breach way and watched the boats.

P6240049.jpg

P6230036.jpg

P6230037.jpg

Relaxed a bunch, and had a enjoyable time. It turned out to be horseshoe crab mating season. There were everywhere in the shallows!

P6230038.jpg

Here is a view of my setup, I even managed to get my wife into my hammock for a short time...

P6240045.jpg

P6240046.jpg

One evening we went into Watch Hill to have soome ice cream and enjoy the sunset.

_MG_4980.jpg

_MG_5002.jpg

_MG_4998.jpg

So we had a mostly enjoyable weekend. Then we packed up our gear, headed back to the breach way for a couple hours and some lunch, and then headed home. It is too bad we had to come back so soon.
    Last edited by raiffnuke; 06-29-2012 at 07:54.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Thats a great area, I've stayed there in my pop-up. Watch Hill/Point Judith all great areas too. Sorry to hear about the illness, better luck next time.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice, looks like we used to before the portable cabin. ;-)

• + New Posts