Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Weekend

Images

Last Weekend

I had a crazy experience last weekend on the Colorado trail, and wanted to share.

I was setting up camp at about 7:00 on Saturday night after a day of backpacking. I hung up my hammock and tarp, and left camp to fill up my water in a stream about 1/4 mile away. I forgot that I had an empty Snickers wrapper in the side pocket of my pack.

I arrived back at camp to find my gear strewn about, my tarp ripped, and my pack gone. I went looking for it, and found a mamma bear and two cubs about 200 feet up the valley. I've seen several bears on my hiking trips before, but she was the largest BY FAR. She started to approach me, and I backed off. She would turn sideways to show me how big she was, and make some chuffing noises, and then move closer. I went back to the stream where I got my water and waited a half hour, and went to check again.

The bears were gone, but my pack was too. I had about half of my gear still in my pack, including all my food. I spent about an hour looking for it, and saw the bears again further up the valley, but found no sign of my pack. The bears must have taken it with them.

While I was searching, I found something else that was a little scary. I had camped about 300 feet from another campsite without realizing it. I found two tents, both destroyed, and gear was strewn all over the place. Two flashlights were turned on and were laying on the ground. The people were nowhere to be found. It was pretty clear by the gear in the campsite that that these people had little experience being in the woods.

I grabbed a flashlight and hiked about a mile down trail to the campsite of a guy I had passed earlier in the afternoon. I told him what happened, and enlisted his help to look for the missing people. We called and looked until after midnight, and gave up. I collected my gear, took it to his campsite, and I set up there for the night.

On Sunday morning the people were still missing. We looked all over trying to find them, and were trying to find my pack too. No luck. Finally, around noon, the two guys showed up. They said they were here from Florida, and had never been backpacking before. On Friday night they were approached by the same three bears that approached me. The bears wanted their food. They blew a whistle and discharged a firearm to try to scare the bears off, but no dice. They left everything and hiked about 6 miles to the nearest trailhead, and then hitchhiked to a motel. They hiked back on Sunday to collect their gear.

When I hiked out on Sunday, I used my hammock to collect everything and slung it over my shoulder. It was awkward and heavy on one shoulder, but I got it all out. It was a long, hot, hard hike though. I was dehydrated from the heat, and didn't have anything to snack on. My car was about 10 miles from my campsite.

Luckily, I had unpacked my hammock, top and bottom quilt, and tarp before I left camp to get water. I had a few other odds and ends too, my GPS, cook set, MIOX pen, water bottles, and a jacket. Everything else was lost: my pack, maps, first aid kit, clothing, rain gear, flashlight, food, and pillow. My awesome homemade cuben tarp is ripped in a few places, but patchable, I think.

Here's what I learned:

Never leave your food unless it's strung up a tree. Be extra careful with your food wrappers. I'm normally very careful about both of these, but I was hungry and thirsty and thought it'd be okay to be away for 20 minutes. I think the empty Snickers wrapper was the problem. My other food was still sealed in the packaging.

Let this story be your lesson!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Thank you for the information, and I am glad no one was hurt. It is a real eye opener for sure. I will be more careful when I hike and camp from now on.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Sorry about your gear, but I am glad you are alright.

Hammock
    eno, for now.
    Tarp
    eno, modified
    Insulation
    diy, mummy bag
    Suspension
    straps and woopie
    wow, pretty crazy situation. glad you made it out well. my brother just had his food bag ripped open and raided by a couple of crows on mt.hood last weekend. we just walked down to the creek for water as well. lesson learned

Hammock
    12ft dream hammock freebird
    Tarp
    Cuben 4s,
    Insulation
    incubator/burro
    Suspension
    Straps/Woopies
    Images
    what section?

Images
    Section 1. My camp was about a mile past Bear Creek as the crow flies, or about 6 miles from section 2. GPS: N 39.40756, W 105.12933. The other camp was west of me on a small ridge. If anyone happens to be near that area and finds a blue GoLite Jam backpack, let me know!

Actually, I did the same section two weekends ago and heard talk of some bears that went after a family's food. I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that they were the same bears. Maybe they've learned that campsites are a good place to go for food.

I'm considering calling someone from the Colorado Trail Foundation to let them know, but I don't know if they'd care, or what they could do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Glad you were ok. I usually keep a cliff bar in one of my packs belt pockets but we had allot of bear action here lately so i've been rethinking that. Most of the bears around here are not very habituated so generally run off at first site of a human unless their eating. Momma was afraid for her cubs. You were probably in no danger. Bear bangers work well as does an air horn unless the bears are habituated then they've figured that out and it only works temporarily. That;s the trouble with park campsites.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Too much adventure! Glad you and the other campers are OK.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Glad you and the other folks on the trail are OK. Bummer about your gear though. Thank you for posting this reminder to us all to stay on top of our game.

Another hiker once told me that a bear took his backpack out of his tent vestibule while he was sleeping in the tent! His food was hung, but he had left toothpaste in his backpack!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    Insulation?
    Suspension
    whoopies & MSH
    The future may not be very bright for those bears. Bears that learn to get food from humans sometimes get agressive and end up becoming a problem that has to be dealt with.
    Bad new losing all your gear. The good news is, you have a great story you'll tell many times over your lifetime!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast