Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 132"x60"
    Suspension
    Whoopies

First hammock a DIY that I can't get right

I made a hammock and it's comfy for hanging out in for a bit but I can't imagine sleeping in it. I'm 5'7" and my hammock is 8' between the whipping but there's pretty bad shoulder squeeze and it's almost impossible to lay diagonal enough. I've played with the sag but haven't gotten a ridgeline up yet. Any suggestions to make this comfier?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That hammock looks a bit tighly hung. Sag the suspention more and try again. Dont be afraid to let it sag a ton, just be sure your straps are high enough to handle it.

Images
    How wide is the fabric?

8' between whipping seems short to me, but I certainly don't have as much experience as others on the forums. My first hammock was 9' between whipping and was too tight, so got passed along to the kids. It's fine for them as long as they don't get taller. I currently have ~10' between whipping and find that comfortable with 60" wide fabric (probably 58" after hemming).

Hammock
    DIY 132"x60"
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's 60" wide before I hemmed it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    8' is way too short, IMHO.

I'm 5'11" and my happy length is 10'6" or 11'. 10' would make a big difference.

x2 on the tight hang. You want to add a LOT of sag to that hammock... makes a huge difference... Try setting your ridgeline length down to 80" and adjust down from there...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    I'm 6'-1" and it takes an 11' long hammock for me to feel unconfined. Then you can hang it loosely and find that diagonal sweet spot. The length along the ridgeline when hung, compared to the length of the hammock should be around 83% - 87%.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Like ebedtime else said, go longer(just from What I've read.. I'm no guru)

Autocorrect got me *EVERYONE. I would say at least 10' 6"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    lol. Here I was trying to find a post by "ebedtime."

I'm 6'2" and I actually find 10' to be a fine length (so long as the width is at least 60"). I couldn't live with an 8' hammock though. There's an idea kicking around where a short "spreader bar" can be put at each end of a gathered hammock like yours, and it will increase the virtual length of the hammock, but I doubt it would get an 8' hammock to feel comfortable even then.

Might I suggest getting a crinkle taffeta tablecloth? They are only about $13 for a 126" by 60" version, which I find quite comfortable. www.tableclothsfactory.com is the place to look. They have regular sales alternating between a discount or free shipping.

Good luck, and stick with it! You will be rewarded!
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY 132"x60"
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just added a yard of fabric to the end (I figured at my weight the seam would be fine) so now it's 11' between the whipping. I can't wait to try it out but the snakeskins I made yesterday don't fit now lol oh well. I'll update on the comfort later.