Tarp
    HG CF Airstream
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Mr Hankey
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Linville Gorge 4 days 3 nights

Mid-South Loop (sort of) trip report.
    Conley-LGT-Spence-LTR-MST-Cambric-Pinch in-105-Conley TH (Missed Rock Jock TH)

I posted this trip report on the Linville forum, thought I would share it here too.

Well our 5 day 4 nighter turned int 4 days 3 nights.

Friday: Conley Parking Lot- Grabbed our gear in a down pour then hit the Conley Trail at 2:30. Conley is a sweet trail. All the boulders and rock features welcomed us to the gorge. We headed down to the LGT and upstream and camped directly across from cathedral falls. Now that was an awesome spot to hang a hammock. Not so great for my ground dwelling buddy, but he made do.

Saturday: Cathedral Falls- We played around the falls and river for a couple hours then headed out later that afternoon for Spence Ridge Trail. I didn’t realize coming in that Spence was such a heavily used trail, virtually a highway by comparison. We made up to the parking lot and realized that we passed the Little Table Rock Trail, so rather than road walk to the MST we headed back. LTR was an awesome hike. The unbelievable grade was rewarded by the end with spectacular views. The rewards kept on coming as we headed down the MST. All I have to say about the MST is WOW! We elected to camp at Saddle Camp since we were out of water and it also appeared to be outside the wilderness boundary. We got plenty of water at 4AM with a 30 min down pour. It flooded out my ground dwelling buddy, and nearly flooded us hangers.

Sunday: Saddle Camp- We spent the better part of the day drying out, resting up, and just flat out enjoying camp. At about 3PM we continued south on the MST and went down Cambric. It was pretty thick and steep, but a needed change from going up to going down. The rain had dried up by then. Otherwise I believe we would have skied all the way to the bottom. We found a nice camp on that side of the river that we now call “Rolling Jerry’s Campsite.” My ground dwelling buddy is named Jerry, who did a slow motion head-over-heels roll in the river through a rapid. Then, my fellow hanger Jerald (aka Jerry) was sharing a bite of spam with Jerry. They were sharing a back rest on a tree next to the fire when Jerald’s rock seat gave out. It sent him slowly rolling around the tree to the other side of Jerry, sporked spam in hand in a failed attempt to save it. Of course he ate it anyway.

Monday: Cambric @ Linville River- Jerald had a USFS map and I had the Map provided by the forum. The USFS had been a good resource with exception to the LTR. For some reason I didn’t take a peek at the forum map and we put all our faith in the USFS map. After crossing the river and heading a couple miles south towards what we thought was Pinch In. We were clued in when we found no trail and we were pretty much in line with Shortoff. I decided to take a look at the forum map and promptly u-turned. Pinch In, now that was awesome. I still haven’t mastered hiking backwards. I certainly got some practice on this trail. By the time we got to the parking lot it was pretty late. We went down the road attempting to meet up with Rock Jock. We expected to see a parking lot with a pretty sign. Unfortunately we didn’t see either of those. We did see a trail next to a turn-around but we were unsure. The waypoint was labeled MCRT which threw me off a bit. At the point we were ready to just lay on the side of the road a truck came up behind us. Since it was already dark we got a ride back to the Conley parking lot to finish the loop. I am totally disappointed that we missed out on the pie.

This was an awesome trip. I can’t speak for all of us, but I will most definitely be back ( For Rock Jock and pie).http://youtu.be/-ffU5h728pA
    MEDICINE
    MAN
    The GAME '03

Medicine Man's YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Great trip report. Thanks for posting and taking the time for the video.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl /traveler 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    camo superfly/ BMJ
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Man that was great!
    Got to get back there!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad the Gorge was good to ya'll. It is still my favorite place to go and hang for sure. Enjoyed your pictures.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Spruce Goose
    Tarp
    HG CF Airstream
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Mr Hankey
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Thanks for checking it out fellas. We have been talking about hit'n the gorge for years after we had some jobs around Marion. Shug, you definitely motivated us. If it wasn't for your vids of the gorge we may still just be talking about it. I will return to it sooner than later. It left me wanting more... plus I must get a hold of some of that pie.
    MEDICINE
    MAN
    The GAME '03

Medicine Man's YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Nice vid, thanks for the hike along in that 'Big Ditch' ....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Great pics! I hiked the Gorge back in November and was weilding a Nat. Geo map.. Talked about a map being wrong! I had to rely on memory from reading the Google Earth map provided by the Linville Gorge Forum. Nat. Geo showed an intersection that didn't even existed.. I can't wait to go back.

• + New Posts