Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Readable rants. That's why I tune in!

A couple of photos showing how I hang the Snugpak UQ on the WBBB. Request more photos if this is confusing!

Hoops tied in outer shock cord (A); also visible is a carabiner (1st photo) that hooks onto the elastic hoop of shock cord (2nd photo). There are four or five of these along the length of the UQ that, when closed, create a cocoon around the hammock. They can be closed either over or under the ridgeline.

Shock cord hoops tied to inner loops of UQ (B).

L-R: Coat hanger carabiner; (B) carabiner; (A) carabiner.

Showing (A) and (B) attached with me pressing down on the UQ. Prussik knot on hammock strap can be moved to adjust (A) tension and height. (B) is not adjustable so it takes a bit of playing to get the right length of shock cord, after which it can be left dialled in.

Forgot to say I've just been told I'm waiting around in Turkey for up to a month while my Iranian visa is processed.

It's only 6 days' riding from where I am to where I pick the visa up. So if anybody wants any more of these, I've got a lot of time.

Hammock
    DD Traveller
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Insulation
    Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Aaah.
    I've been checking the blog and wondered what had happened.
    Was getting a little concerned as to why you were delayed.
    Best of luck with it.
    I also read your S. American trip blog - very entertaining and eye opening. I hadn't realised it was that bare in that part of the world.

John

I probably make S.America seem worse than it is because I complain a lot. Tierra del Fuego is definitely a no man's land, though. No trees anyway.

Must be beautiful riding in the opposite direction to mine with that wind behind you. Most people have the sense to do it that way!

Guys I'm stuck in Turkey and it's looking unlikely I'll get into Iran. I'm considering a drastic detour: Fly to NY, cycle to LA then fly to final destination.

If I wanted to use/abuse that opportunity to beg fellow hammockers for free hanging space across the US, in which section of the forum would you suggest I start the begging thread?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    As I'm uncertain if you're asking seriously or with that dry British wit, I'll give give you a straight answer. I'd say the Hangouts, Campouts, And Trip Planning forums would be the best fit. Just remember that State lands generally frown upon stealth camping where as National forests are typically, though not always, more first come sort.

Loving the blog BTW.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Cheers for the info. I'm actually being serious. I'll put a new thread up if I buy the plane ticket. The blog will carry on as normal whatever happens. Same site, same bad attitude.

Anyone reading this and based anywhere between NY and LA, please pipe up. Even if you can't spare any space on the lawn, info about local roads and places to sleep would be much appreciated.

Very rough route plan below. Image turned out weird, sorry:

Plan would be to avoid mountains until Alabama, where I'd turn right to Arizona and try to be there with cousins at Chrıstmas. Then on to LA after a few free meals and drinks.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I love your approach to planning (great map!).
    Most of us think things through to the point of convincing ourselves that the task is impossible. You however, see it as "I want to get there from here - done!" I can learn a lot from you!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    If you're passing through the Athens, Ga area let us know. There's a free meal and cold beer in it for you if you're staying over.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast