Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobsh View Post
    Cheers for the info. I'm actually being serious. I'll put a new thread up if I buy the plane ticket. The blog will carry on as normal whatever happens. Same site, same bad attitude.

Anyone reading this and based anywhere between NY and LA, please pipe up. Even if you can't spare any space on the lawn, info about local roads and places to sleep would be much appreciated.

Very rough route plan below. Image turned out weird, sorry:

Plan would be to avoid mountains until Alabama, where I'd turn right to Arizona and try to be there with cousins at Chrıstmas. Then on to LA after a few free meals and drinks.

From what your map is showing, you will be in the mountains in NC, SC, GA. However In SC there should be a few good places to hang.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great adventure!

I use hte same set-up with hammock and uq. Your way of attaching it looks good, and will be tried!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You're coming pretty close to West Virginia, where you'd be welcome, but we are mostly mountains. I've enjoyed your blog so far. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about us.

Guys, thanks for the positive response. I'll try to reply one by one:

MAD777, cheers! I'll have GPS maps once I get a new laptop in NY and manage to get them onto the GPS unit, so I'm a little more organised than I appear!

2ply, what a gent. Extremely possible I'll be passing through. A British friend works for Cirque du Soleil. Apparently his show is in Atlanta in December. Will try to be around there then.

Firemedic, the map above is not clear but the rough idea is to avoid 'the bumpy bit on Google terrain maps'. Is that the Appalachian range?

K0m4, my setup works for me more or less but never tried it way below freezing. Any and all feedback appreciated. Bear in mind I'm only 5ft6 so if you're much bigger you may experience it differently.

WV, in theory I'm not going through your state but things can change. As for reviews of my American brethren, I'll be fair . I'm certainly not planning a Louis Theroux-style tour of the small but vocal nutjob element you have (we have them too).

Finally, a noıte on the plans. Looks like I'm buying a flight for tomorrow morning if I can get a box to pack the bike for the plane. Nothing arranged in NY. Warmshowers hosts not responsive. Probably sleep on a park bench until the 5-0 busts a cap in my ***. Oh yes I speak Yank.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    K0m4, my setup works for me more or less but never tried it way below freezing. Any and all feedback appreciated. Bear in mind I'm only 5ft6 so if you're much bigger you may experience it differently.
    Yeah, I never tried it below freezing either, the quilt looks on the thin side for that.. about 5C has been my experience so far, and it worked like a charm though. I'm 186 cm, whatever that translates to, but it's a fair bit more than 5'6" I believe! Still covers me fine. The suspension is what I'm struggling with at the moment, your ideas look nice!

I think I went down to about -2C or -3C (sorry can't remember fahrenheit) with the Snugpak and an old sleeping bag on top. I took the hammock sock off because at that temperature it was too warm. I've been carrying a Thermarest on this trip as well for extra back insulation. Only ever used it as a stool when there were no rocks or logs to sit on in the woods. Haven't unrolled it once.

The worst I expected to face on this trip was -30C, probably during a treeless stretch in W.China, but I don't think I'll be able to experiment now. How cold does it get in the Rockies in December?!

Flight about to be booked. I'll do a new thread and link to it in here eventually.
    Last edited by Gobsh; 10-04-2012 at 04:11.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Firemedic, the map above is not clear but the rough idea is to avoid 'the bumpy bit on Google terrain maps'. Is that the Appalachian range?
    Yes, yes it is. I hope that your trip to the US winds up being as smooth and easy as possible. I'd offer you a place to stay, but I'm a little out of your intended route; you'd wind up having to go an extra ~400 miles or so out of your way.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hehe cheers FLRider.

Guys, new thread here:

I suppose that's the end of this one but I'll keep an eye on it if anyone wants to ask anything or comment.

Thanks for reading.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345