WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    40/20 HG jRB HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

About to take the cuben fiber tarp plunge looking for advice

I知 about to take the Cuben Fiber Tarp plunge and I guess the question I知 looking to have answered is should I go with the Hammockgear 4 Season (4 Doors) Cat Cut Cuben Fiber Tarp or the Zpacks Hammock Tarp with Doors? Are there any major differences between them to make me choose one over the other? Looking at the two they look very comparable. Any advice from current Cuben Fiber Tarp owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    KC

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Netmonster View Post
    I知 about to take the Cuben Fiber Tarp plunge and I guess the question I知 looking to have answered is should I go with the Hammockgear 4 Season (4 Doors) Cat Cut Cuben Fiber Tarp or the Zpacks Hammock Tarp with Doors? Are there any major differences between them to make me choose one over the other? Looking at the two they look very comparable. Any advice from current Cuben Fiber Tarp owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    KC
    These tarps are more similar now than they originally were as I believe zpacks is now simply bonding his ridgeline as well instead of sewing. Both vendors will work with you on customizations. Buying again I'd ask for little to no cat cut at the baseline and a modest cat on the ridgeline. Really you'd be quite happy with either vendor, I just happen to own more stuff from HG.

David

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Honest truth,,,,,got a better deal off HG and quicker service...even tho I have bought quite a few very great and nice items off Joe of Zpacks and will continue to contribute to the both of them. Its kinda always a hard decision to decide who to use but they both have fantastic gear so on my cuben tarps I went with HG due to the dash of savings. Shop is all I can say, but the cuben tarps are great items to use and will hook you on other cuben products. You have been warned!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a ZPacks and a friend has an HG. They are so similar that I really do not think that you can go wrong with either.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I have both a HG 4S tarp and the Z-Packs hammock tarp. I have an older Z-Pack that is sewn and with out cat cuts and the HG has cat cuts and is bonded. However Joe is now bonding his tarps and will put shallow cat cuts if you ask. I have several pieces of gear from both vendors and they are all of excellenf quality. However If I had to pick one I go with HG cause its a newer model and weighs less.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I have a zpacks large cuben tarp. Would have bought a HG but at the time they were not making the Winter Palace. Maybe they are now?

Love my zpacks. As everyone has said, can't go wrong with either.

S

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    40/20 HG jRB HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thoughts on Cat vs. Rectangle cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    These tarps are more similar now than they originally were as I believe zpacks is now simply bonding his ridgeline as well instead of sewing. Both vendors will work with you on customizations. Buying again I'd ask for little to no cat cut at the baseline and a modest cat on the ridgeline. Really you'd be quite happy with either vendor, I just happen to own more stuff from HG.

David
    Why would you go with little or no cat cut at the baseline? Are there any concerns with coverage on cat cut tarps? My current (Heavy) tarp is a hex cut. I like the coverage it provides especially at the bottom. I usually carry a light footprint and lay my pack and boots on it while I sleep. Even in hard driving rains my stuff never gets wet. Is this something I may have to worry about if I go with a cat cut?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well....I am a Hammock Gear user and love mine! Plus, Stormcrow and Thorwren hammockers and active on this site. I have the one with door flaps and one without door flaps.
    Though I have heard nothing but good stuff on Z-Packs as well. So i offer this....
    Shug

Here is my HG Hex Cuben
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Netmonster View Post
    Why would you go with little or no cat cut at the baseline? Are there any concerns with coverage on cat cut tarps? My current (Heavy) tarp is a hex cut. I like the coverage it provides especially at the bottom. I usually carry a light footprint and lay my pack and boots on it while I sleep. Even in hard driving rains my stuff never gets wet. Is this something I may have to worry about if I go with a cat cut?
    One of the reason I prefer the HG tarp over the Z-Pack tarp is because the HG tarp has a very slight cat cut in the RL and about 1 to 1.5 inch cat cut in the side walls. These cat cuts really help pitch the tarp tight as can be with little to no wrinkles and a perfectly pitched RL. My Z-Pack tarp without a cat cut RL folds over a little however but my HG tarp pitches straight as an arrow. Also without securing the middle tie out on the Z-Pack tarp the side wall do flap some.

I did a review on my HG hex tarp which is the same as my HG 4S tarp but with out doors. Link below.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54889

And here is my review of my Z-Pack tarp.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32511

The only thing Id add is that I really like that the HG tarp due to it having less tie outs. Its a much easier and faster tarp to pitch then the Z-Pack due to having two less tie outs. The reason being is that if you do not tie out the middle tie outs on the Z-Packs you get flapping. This adds weight having to attach two extra lines for tie outs. On the HG tarp you only have four tie outs plus the two door tie out. Think that all makes sense.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    These tarps are more similar now than they originally were as I believe zpacks is now simply bonding his ridgeline as well instead of sewing.
    David

I can't add too much to the great advise that has already been given but I did want to point out that Joe (Z-Packs) is "Not" bonding the ridgeline on his tarps, here is the excerpt's from his page:
    New - The ridge seam and all tie out reinforcements are now sewn and taped for extra strength. No seam sealing necessary!

New! Hexamids now have taped seams and bonded tie outs. No seam sealing necessary!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast