Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Im thinking about getting another HHSS. I sorda miss mine. I find it lighter for a winter setup over my 0degree quilts. And I like how it lets my use all the tieouts.
    I also find its effected less by a cool breeze that may hit it. If I get another one I will make a mod to my over cover to make it easier to unclip one side for easier entrance . I have also had no issues with condensation.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    LOL...pretty much! =-)

I was inside the 20 deg synthetic sleeping bag, with it unzipped. The fleece blanket was mostly on top of my...sometimes under my head/arms/shoulders. I side sleep and turn over, so I do have a lot of issues with anything under me moving around.

I've never had noticeable condensation with the HHSS/space blanket combo below 30 deg. Now, I've also never tried using the overcover yet...although I have one.

I was toasty enough to sleep well...was the last person to wake up that particular hang...LOL. There weren't any cold spots on my back that I noticed...but remember, I was using a synthetic bag, so that was also underneath me to some degree.
    I agree, being inside a syn bag can make a noticeable difference. Still, sounds like you were plenty warm with just the most basic system at about 20F, and that is pretty good. I think for a while I might have been the main HHSS Guru around here, by default. Only because I was the almost the only frequent poster here that used one back in 06-07. And I only got one because I didn't know any better, it was what Tom Hennessy recommended for me. ( actually, he was at first telling me about windshield reflectors until I told him I might see < 20F 1st week of Sept where I was going). This was fall of 06 right before I discovered 1st hammocks and 2nd HF in Jan. So I was really the odd man out when I got here, every one was using either pads or JRB quilts and the occasional PeaPod or Snugfit and even more rare KAQs. But because I kept working/experimenting with the HHSS- particularly on how to boost it - and hardly anyone else would even use one- and a few that did had a totally bad experience- I just kind of became the HHSS guy, seems to me. At least until Jan 09 when kwpapke joined Shug for the famous minus 27 dual night backcountry trip, Shug usin lots of down and kwpapke using a souped up HHSS ( plenty warm with some extra insulation under the HH OCF pad).

But, while there are several folks who simply could not get the HHSS to work for them, there is now a fairly good size number for whom it not only works, but many of Y'all do much better than I ever did. You and some others at ~ 20F, some others actually below 20, a very few by a good bit below 20F. I think I started a thread recently pointing out how COTW (CryoftheWild) has used his well below zero, HHSS alone. Amazing! The reason I got the HH kidney/torso pads was part of my 1st attempts to push the SS below 30F, which a couple of tests had seemed to establish as the absolute bottom comfort limit for me. So now you guys are now the Gurus! Still, I get a kick when I see others do even better than I have done with this bottom insulation.

BTW, I have found the over cover adds a lot of warmth and wind resistance. About 15*F added on top. But I think you do need to pay attention to the humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Im thinking about getting another HHSS. I sorda miss mine. I find it lighter for a winter setup over my 0degree quilts. And I like how it lets my use all the tieouts.
    I also find its effected less by a cool breeze that may hit it. If I get another one I will make a mod to my over cover to make it easier to unclip one side for easier entrance . I have also had no issues with condensation.
    I know what you mean, there is just something about that HHSS, I keep going back to it from time to time. And I see that you find it is a good system for windy conditions, a point I am always harping on. For me, this is the HHSS's main selling point compared to all other systems. True, you can get an UQ protector or sock for other systems, but at extra money and weight.

Interesting that you find it lighter than your zero quilts. But, what temps are you able to stay warm to with the HHSS?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12