Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Senior Member dimeotane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    Posts
    121
    With this many people interested surely we can get a group hang to happen soon!

  2. #22
    Senior Member BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,964
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    you guys should check out a tool called http://www.doodle.com - you put in the potential dates for an event (even times- which wouldn't apply to hangs, really) and everyone 'votes' by putting in yes/maybe/no for each of the dates. Then you pick the one which is good for all/most people. (similar: whenisgood.net)

    Or: say: "I'll be at X location on X date, come join if you can!" Everyone self caters. Once you've done it that way for a few times, you might feel up to the level of organizing that takes place for some hangs!

    TH
    Thanks for the tip on that one. Using the fourm poll feature will get much of the same functionality. The when part is easier than the where part as there is so many places to choose from. At least for me I don't want to drive 3.5 hours to go car camping.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

    Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ajax, ontario
    Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Thanks for the tip on that one. Using the fourm poll feature will get much of the same functionality. The when part is easier than the where part as there is so many places to choose from. At least for me I don't want to drive 3.5 hours to go car camping.

    Cheers

    Brian
    My sentiments exactly, I don't mind the idea of car camping though.

  4. #24
    Senior Member BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,964
    Images
    7
    Greetings

    Here is another issue for doing a group hang and that is reserving a site on relatively short notice. I did some inquiring at Ontario Parks Reservation and here is what I found

    Frontencac provincial park is booked every weekend in August for a couple of sites on the Big Salmon Lake hiking loop.

    Bon Echo Provincial Park - Abes and Essens Lake hiking trail is available on the weekend of August 24th and 25th (Friday Saturday). This was the original Ontario group hang location and it worked well (except the rain). However this trail doesn't lend itself to it having a different site on each night. So this would be a hike in, base camp for 2 nights and hike out type trip.

    I haven't checked Algonquin Provincial Park, however I suspect it will be busy every weekend from now until Thanksgiving on their backpacking trails.

    So that being said I would be willing to book the site at Bon Echo if anyone else wants to go on the weekend of August 24th and 25th, 2012. But we would need to decide that quickly so we can get the desired site. Also there is a limit of 6 people per site at Bon Echo in the back country.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

    Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ajax, ontario
    Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Greetings

    Here is another issue for doing a group hang and that is reserving a site on relatively short notice. I did some inquiring at Ontario Parks Reservation and here is what I found

    Frontencac provincial park is booked every weekend in August for a couple of sites on the Big Salmon Lake hiking loop.

    Bon Echo Provincial Park - Abes and Essens Lake hiking trail is available on the weekend of August 24th and 25th (Friday Saturday). This was the original Ontario group hang location and it worked well (except the rain). However this trail doesn't lend itself to it having a different site on each night. So this would be a hike in, base camp for 2 nights and hike out type trip.

    I haven't checked Algonquin Provincial Park, however I suspect it will be busy every weekend from now until Thanksgiving on their backpacking trails.

    So that being said I would be willing to book the site at Bon Echo if anyone else wants to go on the weekend of August 24th and 25th, 2012. But we would need to decide that quickly so we can get the desired site. Also there is a limit of 6 people per site at Bon Echo in the back country.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Hey BriaN, Did you mean August 25-26? I may be up for it depending on cost. is it a tough hike in or would I be able to bring in some luxuries?

  6. #26
    Senior Member BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,964
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
    Hey BriaN, Did you mean August 25-26? I may be up for it depending on cost. is it a tough hike in or would I be able to bring in some luxuries?
    Hi surreal_trip.

    No I meant the nights of the 24th and 25th of August (2 night 3 day trip). Ie Arrive Friday mid day, hike in, stay for 2 nights, hike out Sunday morning. This trail is a bit challenging it is Canadian shield and has some decent hills. So if you wish to bring luxuries, it would be at your own ability to carry them. The trail has lots of roots and rocks that stick out on the trail so one has to be mindful not to roll an ankle. If memory serves, this trail is 3 overlapping loops and the best site is on the 3rd loop furthest from the trail head. The total trail length is 17km and I would say that the hike to the site is a good 6-7 km from the trailhead.. Here is a trail map. We hiked the 3rd loop backwards as it is a shorter distance.



    Doing this as an overnighter would be a bit far to go, in my humble opinion.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

    Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ajax, ontario
    Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Hi surreal_trip.

    No I meant the nights of the 24th and 25th of August (2 night 3 day trip). Ie Arrive Friday mid day, hike in, stay for 2 nights, hike out Sunday morning. This trail is a bit challenging it is Canadian shield and has some decent hills. So if you wish to bring luxuries, it would be at your own ability to carry them. The trail has lots of roots and rocks that stick out on the trail so one has to be mindful not to roll an ankle. If memory serves, this trail is 3 overlapping loops and the best site is on the 3rd loop furthest from the trail head. The total trail length is 17km and I would say that the hike to the site is a good 6-7 km from the trailhead.. Here is a trail map. We hiked the 3rd loop backwards as it is a shorter distance.



    Doing this as an overnighter would be a bit far to go, in my humble opinion.
    I know the area actually. Spectacular views. So would it be a hike in on the blue trail to camp then crash for a few days? I might be up for that.

  8. #28
    Senior Member BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,964
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
    I know the area actually. Spectacular views. So would it be a hike in on the blue trail to camp then crash for a few days? I might be up for that.
    The campsite in question is on Abes Lake, so the way we hiked the trail the first time on the way in was to go from the start clockwise (red trail), take the start of loop 2, (blue trail), cross over the 2 loop and then hike the red loop backward (red trail again, counter clockwise).

    A for base camping, I was thinking of a 2 night trip. That gives all of the second day to do anything in the area that anyone would want (explore, hike the rest of the loop 3rd loop, etc).

    So if we want to do this trip, it needs to be booked asap, as there is no guarantee that site is available (it was as of Saturday).

    Cheers

    Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

    Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

  9. #29
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7dbl
    Tarp
    Chinook 14x12
    Insulation
    Shamu IX
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    44
    Looks good to me. I think my fiancee is free that weekend as well. As soon as the date is settled I can confirm my friend as well.

  10. #30
    Senior Member BackPackHiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Keswick, ON
    Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Posts
    386
    That sounds good to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Any TN or ARK group hangs in the Fall?
    By Tonykarter in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 09:15
  2. What have I gotten out of group hangs?
    By UncleMJM in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 22:26
  3. How do I find out about the group hangs in MI?
    By bmwrider in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 21:39

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •