Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BushcraftUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    blue foam pad
    Suspension
    factory ropes

New "Beginner Basics" topic or sub-forum?

Would it be feasible to create a new sub-forum or topic for "Beginner Basics"? I'm a rank beginner and have found some posts to be very informative and useful, notably Dehoja's "Illustrated" posts and some of Shug's videos. However, I spend lots of time using the search button, and my google-fu is not that strong so I'm always wondering what I'm missing.
    I think consolidation of these very informative posts on very basic topics would be a boon to us newbies as we could find them easily and learn so much more so much faster, without missing anything because we didn't pick the right combination of words to search>
    Just my suggestion, what do you think?
    You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Excellent idea. However, it's quite possible that the "consolidation" would still be overwhelming. Although maybe to a lesser degree. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I think you will find this forum to be quite different from others. Members here are always happy to help out newcomers. It would be extremely rare if you got negative "SEARCH FOR IT" feedback. Make use of the search tools, if you are still lost, by all means ask the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
    Would it be feasible to create a new sub-forum or topic for "Beginner Basics"? I'm a rank beginner and have found some posts to be very informative and useful, notably Dehoja's "Illustrated" posts and some of Shug's videos. However, I spend lots of time using the search button, and my google-fu is not that strong so I'm always wondering what I'm missing.
    I think consolidation of these very informative posts on very basic topics would be a boon to us newbies as we could find them easily and learn so much more so much faster, without missing anything because we didn't pick the right combination of words to search>
    Just my suggestion, what do you think?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome. Be sure to read the "sticky" messages in each forum, especially the General Hammock Talk forum. Lots of good info there in one place.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Geez, I don't know if there's a way to do what you are considering because the topics discussed on this forum are so diverse. When I first looked at hammocks a couple of years ago, I found this forum. I needed to get a hammock for an upcoming trip but was too overwhelmed by all the information. After two months of research, I still couldn't digest it all so I just bought a complete system from Hennessy and got out and started hanging.

For the last two years, I have researched individual areas of this sport (or hobby), in easily digestible chunks. I first started playing with splicing Amsteel, making whoopies and continuous loops, then slowly moved into different hammocks, tarps, UQ/TQ, etc.

That's what makes this sport (or hobby) so fun: it's easy enough to start hanging immediately, but it's complex enough that two years in, I'm still learning and experimenting.

The closest thing you'll get to "Hammocking for Dummies" is dejoha's "The Ultimate Hang" book. That should be more than enough to educate you on the basics.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    +1 on dehoja's "The Ultimate Hang"
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I think most everyone that comes to this site has a similar problem. Even though I see the same questions brought up in thread after thread I still notice slightly different answers to each one. HYOH is quite the mantra here and it really fits. There's no right or wrong way to hang. If it's comfortable and you don't get a cold butt then you must be doing it right.

I think getting a better search engine would fix a tremendous amount of the duplicate questions. The hammock hangers seem to love acronyms (UQ, TQ, UQP, HH, WBBB, etc). The search engine doesn't seem to like 4-letter or fewer words at all. Luckily....google doesn't mind so you can do a search of just this site using that search engine (I've forgotten exactly how at the moment). I've used it a few times to really focus in on some kind of obscure items.

The other problem is where to draw the line between "beginner" and everyone else. We have gear junkies, car campers, gram weenies, and tons of sub-groups on the forum. Some newbies will drop $1000 on gear out of the chute while others are content for years with DIY hammocks and blue wal-mart pads. Again....HYOH.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I think getting a better search engine would fix a tremendous amount of the duplicate questions. The hammock hangers seem to love acronyms (UQ, TQ, UQP, HH, WBBB, etc). The search engine doesn't seem to like 4-letter or fewer words at all. Luckily....google doesn't mind so you can do a search of just this site using that search engine (I've forgotten exactly how at the moment).
    put "site:hammockforums.net" at the end of your query. E.g.,
    UQP site:hammockforums.net
    will get you links to posts that use the keyword UQP in them.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    The other problem is where to draw the line between "beginner" and everyone else. We have gear junkies, car campers, gram weenies, and tons of sub-groups on the forum. Some newbies will drop $1000 on gear out of the chute while others are content for years with DIY hammocks and blue wal-mart pads. Again....HYOH.
    Exactly. I am the two-year beginner. Reminds me of "What I Am" by Paul Simon's wife, Edie Brickell.

I'm not aware of too many things
    I know what I know, if you know what I mean
    Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
    Religion is the smile on a dog
    I'm not aware of too many things
    I know what I know, if you know what I mean, d-doo yeah

That's me. I know some stuff about hammocks, but I ain't no expert. I'm a beginner.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Stickies were my first thought too, besides Dejoha's book and Shug's videos.

@ Grizz: thanks for the "site:hammockforums.net" tip!

I guess I just spend too much time browsing, dreaming, reading and more on HF when I could have gotten it quicker

Newbie, beginner, expert, whatever label... I am not sure what I am but after hanging for years I still keep on experimenting. Part of the fun, plus, I like change...

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BushcraftUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    blue foam pad
    Suspension
    factory ropes
    Thanks to all for the advice.
    I've ordered "The Ultimate Hang" from Amazon, and saw Shug's video's, some more than once. I really enjoy Dehoja's informative "illustrated" posts, too and have looked at them several times.
    I'm a raw beginner still. Have a brand new hammock, but have yet to spend the night in it. Life happens. Looking forward to a long learning curve.
    You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast