WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. That's kinda how I felt finding this lifestyle. Can't take the heat and humidity though. That's why I'm in mine every night in the AC.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Oh yeah, I like you without even meeting you. I like the way you go for what you are interested in, and no doubt you will soon have enough experience to deal with hammocks in most any situation. Try to make friends with our fellow hangers in Minnesota and up that way, they enjoy hanging in awful cold weather, and have honed it to an art form. Look forward to more from you about your journey into the craziness of hammocking.

Thanks for the welcome!

All! Thanks for the welcome!

I already feel like I can just ask whatever I need to know and someone'll help me...or point me to places where I can learn the answer on my own.

Spent the night out last night...as previously. Still winds, high temps and no wind...oh, yeah and some humidity (around 92%).

At about 2:30 AM, I had to get up to visit the head. I went inside and saw myself in the mirror: hair plastered to my head, T-Shirt soaked through with sweat. I grinned at myself, did my business and went back outside.

The forecast was calling for some spotty T-Storms around. I could see faint flashes of lightning off the coast to my east, but it was still dead calm.

For an hour or so, it was nearly hallucinogenic; fitful sleep, waking to see flashes off in the distance (by counting thunder differential, maybe 5 miles away), sweating in the hammock...no breeze. Dozing again for a few minutes.

Then, oh so gradually, some spit of rain...only a pitter of it on the fly. For 20 seconds or so at a time, maybe the hiss of some drizzle. Then, nothing again. Around 4:00 AM, more lightning - but brighter; with the thunder pronounced.

At some point, I fell asleep - deeply.

A little back story information: When camping or sleeping outdoors, I'm usually awake a couple of hours before daylight. Usually it's kind of a "I can't lay here anymore" response. I get up, kick the fire up, start coffee and watch the day roll in.

Not this morning. After falling asleep around 4:15 - 4:30 AM, I woke around 6:00 and felt like someone had given me a shot of some kind. I was almost drugged. I would slip right back to sleep. I was dry; no sweat. The humidity had dropped and the temperature was around 78 degrees. And I was indescribably comfortable. NOTHING hurt. NOTHING was uncomfortable. It was raining lightly, but I had no drips (snakeskins and driplines). My eyes would flicker open and take note of things, but I'd immediately drift back off. I didn't wake again until 7:45 or so. And when I did, I didn't want to get up. I turned on my side and slept for another 1/2 hour or so. Than back on my back. Never moving because I needed to or was uncomfortable, but to experiment.

Don't want to sound too much like a Hallmark card or anything, but I felt as terrific as I've felt in a long time. And this was after heat, humidity...basically sauna conditions. I literally could not believe how comfortable I was.

So, anyway....thanks for the welcome .

I'm excited and enjoying the heck out of it.

C

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

Why do we do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Halostatue View Post
    ...for some unknown, maybe primal reason, I love being outside in the hammock. And I guess I like the discomfort. 'Cause when the next day rolls around and I'm at work or doing something else, I'm thinking about when I can get back out in the hammock.
    I prob'ly come off as a nut to my neighbors and family, but I'm sleeping out there every night I can. I mean, I'm a grown, **** man... made lots of money and have TV, electricity and everything.
    I try to be out every time there's a storm coming to force myself to compensate for the weather. I WANT to know what the weaknesses of this system are. I look FORWARD to nights when a rainstorm is coming.
    So, I'm learning...all the time.
    Hey Charlie, I loved your post! It's great to have you aboard HF and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. What you wrote, it speaks to me in a big way.

I was mulling over some similar thoughts yesterday when I was out on a hike and hang. What possesses me to just pack a bag and walk out into the woods? Isn't it weird to choose a random spot in the forest and have a picnic? What's that all about?

When I set up my hammock and gear in the back yard in freezing temperatures to test it out, my neighbours must think I'm nuts too. Their version of "camping" is with a trailer and portable generator.

There's certainly a pleasure in learning... and especially when you find that you can apply your learning and use your new skills effectively.

Practising wilderness survival skills is a kind of self imposed discipline and training. I want and need to harden up (HTFU). My ancestors of past centuries had it no where near as good as I do, and the more I learn and attempt, the more I have respect for the common way of life people used to live in silent desperation. Learning you can survive and get by with the essentials is empowering. I'm lucky to have the luxury to learn this stuff at my own pace now while the going is good, not because necessity demands it for my very survival.

It's also empowering to discover you can pack and set up a small portable shelter in the wilderness that keeps you feeling warm and comfortable. I'm not only able to merely survive in the wood, but I can do complete creature comfort! I do like my snivel gear...

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!
    Last edited by dimeotane; 07-01-2012 at 15:38.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the forums Charlie. I agree that we need to break away from all this modern lifestyle and just simplify sometimes. You'll meet some really nice hangers there in Texas. Be sure to attend the big hang at Fairfield State Park in mid November. I've had the wonderful pleasure of being there.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Big Hang?!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Be sure to attend the big hang at Fairfield State Park in mid November.
    Tell me more about this or tell me where I can learn more.

Halo

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images

Thumbs up

Welcome from NC, Halostatue,

Thank you for putting into words some of what hammocking delivers.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Welcome from central California! Sounds like you've been bit by the bug! It's funny how many of us run outside to tinker with our setup when the rest of the world is running inside (the rainier, the windier, the thunderier the better). The Missus rolls her eyes every time I head out into a storm, but it's the only way to know you're ready for anything (and the first few times I was definitely NOT ready ).

A little back story information: When camping or sleeping outdoors, I'm usually awake a couple of hours before daylight. Usually it's kind of a "I can't lay here anymore" response. I get up, kick the fire up, start coffee and watch the day roll in.
    Funny. Before hammock camping I would always wake up HOURS before daylight waiting until it was time to get up--now I'm usually the last one out

Again, welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing about your future adventures.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Charlie, from deep South Texas.
    But, for some unknown, maybe primal reason, I love being outside .in the hammock. I look FORWARD to nights when a rainstorm is coming.
    Folks...this is a kick in the ***! What a fun gig
    Charlie
    Ummmm, I'll have what he's having. Welcome to the addiction!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast