Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User groups?

User groups?

I can't find any user groups. I think it would be an awesome feature so people in certain locality's or specific interests could get in touch with each other more easily. If there are user groups already by all means, please correct me and point me in the right direction.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    52 views and no responses; I don't get it.

I'm just gonna voice my vote for opening up user groups for donating members.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Usergroup posts don't populate the threads, so we'd have info on the site that doesn't get displayed to many of the users. We'll discuss it among the mods, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Usergroup posts don't populate the threads, so we'd have info on the site that doesn't get displayed to many of the users.
    I'm not very savvy about such things, but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I like the one big happy family we have here.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm not very savvy about such things, but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I like the one big happy family we have here.
    Me either brother. Would I be in the DIY, Fulltimer or Florida group? But then it might keep me off the computer so much but then I might miss out on my Euro, Asian or Down Under Brothers. By the way that 'brother' is non gender.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
    If there are user groups already by all means, please correct me and point me in the right direction.
    www.meetup.com

Lots of 'em.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Well, in all fairness, some of us simply refuse to join the myfacespacebook sheeple movement. I don't need my personal info, thoughts, friends, activities, ect. being made part of a public database. While meetup.com isn't as bad, it also isn't grounded around the outdoors camping atmosphere. For myself, my signature is literal when it says "Hammock Forums is my social network."

Here is an example:

Say I'm new to HF, new to camping or hiking, and definitely to hammock hanging. But, I'm an experienced... GoKart mechanic, because I race them as a hobby. Surely, I'm a member of other GoKart realted forums. But, what if it strikes my fancy to connect with others that are both into Hammock hanging and Gokarts?

At current I would have to either a) keep my karting discussion in another forum, or b) attempt to start an off-topic discussion in the donating members section. Good luck with that.

Now, if as a donating member, I could create a karting user group and invite other members that have displayed interest, I would have an outlet for my combined interests.

The exact implementation of such a system would require some technical logistics. Mainly in the form of a PHP programer to solve issues like "Usergroup posts don't populate the threads" or more over the incorporation of the Usergroup data into the existing user interface.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Truly I don't understand how a user group works vs. a forum topic area?
    But I like the whole international melting pot we have going here. If I were to try to start a Michigan group hang, I can just post it in the hangout get together section and I would welcome anyone who wants to come to the hang... not just michiganders.

The GoKart example seems like the Roundtable Off topic would be the perfect place for that. That would seem to be a pretty small cross section of the community so a user group so specific seems like overkill. Thats just my opinion, not trying to be rude. If I want to find something specific like Gokart hammock camping I go to google and search hammock forums ie: site:hammockforums.net gokart , and if anyone ever mentioned gokarts it will come up. And not breaking into user groups but just having it come up in the "new posts" or "todays posts" means I might see something I didn't know I was interested in (gokarts) but now suddenly am, so I click in to read more.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    My 2 cents--- I like user groups but they can and most often multiply into some far off groups. I would like to see a section where we can group according to state which would enable us to plan and hike w relative quickness and perhaps build better relationships. As far as being a noob the daunting task of becoming part of may be lessened. My concern with this is that it might tend to seperate rather then bring us all together as a whole community?
    Any thoughts?
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like to see what's going on in other states (or in Sweden for that matter) because I have traveled from Florida to Texas and attended their group hang. A couple of my Florida hiking buddies recently ventured north to hang and paddle with HF members.

Had the trip info been buried in a "user group" we may not even be aware of these events.

Our annual Florida hang has practically become a Florida/Tennessee hang. Now we have a couple of USA members packing up to hang in Sweden with our brethren in northern Europe (I'm sooooo jealous).

Maybe I'm just saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast