Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Home made down qui
    Suspension
    whoopies

underblanket blanket and quilt wanted

alright i have to have these is there any for sale out there lads , or do you have any links to makers.who do you recomend ?without spending an arm and leg .there is a british company snugpak here that do a set for around £140 plus postage does anybody use these and what are your views please ,are they worth that kind of money or can i get a down set for the same monoey in the states

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm not sure how to answer your question except to say that I would check with our HF member warbonnet, & see how close he is to having a synthetic quilt set ready for sell. That would be a good quality, well designed set for less cash than down.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, that Warbonnet torso UQ is one great piece of gear. Has kept me warm when other folks were shivering.

But if you want down, and my converstion is correct, you can get a No Sniveller from the Jacks for a few (like $20) more than the 140 Pounds you mentioned in your post. No clue what it would cost you to ship.

Me, I'd get both and use the down on top. Wait a minute, I did do that! Wow, I'm smarter than I thought.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    alright i have to have these is there any for sale out there lads , or do you have any links to makers.who do you recomend ?without spending an arm and leg .there is a british company snugpak here that do a set for around £140 plus postage does anybody use these and what are your views please ,are they worth that kind of money or can i get a down set for the same monoey in the states
    stonecold, et al,

your real question should be what temp range do you need protection too?

today there are under quilts and top quilts that function in low temp ranges from easy zero * F to 40-45* and range from $180 to $360 usd.

equal temp ranges and insulation quality regularly price down or synthetic comparably.

then real issues like, durability, compressability, weight enter.

euro to dollar is currently in your favor.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some guys on bushcraft.co.uk based their design on Patrick's (kickass quilts), then had SnugPak manufacture it for them. I didn't keep up with how it has evolved but the first ones didn't even cinch up at the head and feet. I'm sure they've made improvements since then, though. Check their forum for details on getting a synthetic underquilt made in UK.

Otherwise, I know JRB ships overseas...shoot them an email or a PM here and you can probably get exact shipping costs. Expensive, but worth it. www.jacksrbetter.com

Not sure if Ed ships the SnugFit overseas or not - Youngblood (here at HF) designed it so maybe he knows. Shoot him a PM or email Ed for details. I don't think I've heard any significant criticism of this design...should be awesome if if fits your temps. www.speerhammocks.com

And send Warbonnet a PM re: his synthetic underquilts. Haven't used one but apparently he puts crack in them b/c Cannibal is addicted!! I really like the system of half-underquilt with a torso-sized pad for the legs, though.

Otherwise, check the "kick your own ***" link to make your own. www.kickassquilts.com

There are other options for top quilts, as well - www.fanaticfringe.com, www.nunatakusa.com, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    I use one of the first gen Snugfit/BCUK underquilts and it does the job just fine, I haven't taken it to freezing but have used it at around 5degC, damp conditions.

It packs down ok but you will know you have it in your pack). I use a cheap tesco down sleeping bag as an overquilt and that packs down far better.

I don't think I could see a reason to go for the Snugpack topquilt as well especially if you all ready have a suitable sleeping bag..

The underquilt alone works out about $135 delivered so that might be hard to approach on a US sourced quilt. (topquilt $5-10 less).

In an ideal world I'd love a JrB underquilt, or a Warbonnet torso to reduce the size of my kit.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    I think it depends on what temp you need to go to!! I use a poncho liner fitted with some shock cord and am good spring through fall and use a second poncholiner as a top quilt Works great for me! I don't winter hang though this New England boy sits by the wood stove when it gets cold!!! I bought 3 poncho liners for $25 including shipping just looking for a deal on ebay and bought some 100' shock cord for another $10 and added 4 cord locks I had from so old gear. total investment $35 and I have an extra poncho liner for the drive ins for my wife when she says she's cold and a lot of extra shock cord hanging around which I've found useful for securing water bottles on my pack and replacing cord on my pack and tackle box. This was just a quick fix for me and turned out to work pretty darn good. My original plan was to make a synthetic set of quilts for this purpose but at this point I don't think I need them as I'm not a member of the Polar Bear / Penguin Hanging Club, lol!!!

• + New Posts