Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Video: Another round in the Smokys

Pain is a hard reality. We've been 'training' for the Hundred Mile Wilderness...after my foot pain Saturday evening (and it was easy trail) I realize my chances in the Wilderness are slim...so how much is a wilderness extraction? in the meantime I'll double up on the DMSO and keep training.
    This hike is towards Poofs 100 miles this year toward the 900 miler thing in the Park...HEAT was the challenge but night hiking and getting the big climb started at 0700 really helped. Downtime in camp was spent napping (heat prostration) and cooling off in Forney Creek.
    Near gear toyed with=the Grand Trunk stool roched unto me by FireInMyBones....it's really not that bad of a seat. The baking system with the FireFly, it works and works well....could have used a little more heat for browning but the cornbread was fully cooked, fluffy and I was surprised by how sweet the Jiffy brand is. Neutron used an Osprey Exos 34 and liked the ventilation bug did not like the padding in the hipbelt. Poof also used an Osprey but can't remember which model-she hates a hot back and also loved the ventilation. The one she used Sirrus maybe? was heavier than the Exos series but did have good padding on the hipbelt.
    I used a new water system....1 x 2 quart Gatorade versus my normal 2 x 1 quart (i have a hole drilled into the cap for my hydration tube)....using 1 x 2quart bottle saves 1.4 ounces BUT I like the convenience of 2 bottles so back to 2 x 1 quart bottles I will go.
    We all used Steripen Journey this time and Neutron was roched into one at REI post hike.
    This loop has lots of water features but no grand views, still very enjoyable and it was fun challenging the heat. One thing we all noticed was that creekside was at least 10-15 degrees cooler than even 15 feet away.
    Did see a bear post the trailhead while driving away so it didn't count

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Glad to hear of cornbread success . . .

Hard to know what to do for an encore. I did find some "Bisquick Complete" garlic and cheese biscuit mix the other day. Figure if I'm out for two nights, I'll make cornbread one night and biscuits the other night.

http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Bra...st%20page.aspx
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Another great episode. Thanks for posting and the hike along. Interesting to see , and in hindsight kind of obvious, how you got your trailname.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thanks B2R...for me no meds=no life
    QiWiz....I've discovered something important (for me); two charcoal briquets (Kingsford Match Light) weight 1.9 ounces and make a great insurance plan!
    I think us 'bakers' have only touched the surface of what is possible yet still go lightweight.
    With 5 meals (plus one extra days worth for just in case), a stool, and complete baking apparata I was still 15 pounds out of the chute and whether its a bisquit, cornbread, muffin, or cinnamon roll-it sure is a delight in camp.
    QiWiz-the cornbread is a no loose deal...after the go at it I can't see how you'd go wrong. Of course we had serious ambient temps helping it along HA!
    Forgot to mention I used the HG sewn through 50F burrow on the trip and it was perfect for the 58-62F lows. I used the double IX underneath and wouldn't have been happy with the single layer.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Cool trip MM. Nice work with the cornbread. Thanks for taking us along.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    Beautiful footage.

Watching HF.net trip reports from a drought-striken state is much like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b52F3K3cmQ

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for the shout-out MM. That looked like a refreshing trip! Dipping in the creek was the thing to do! I was almost doing the same... but was paddling in a dam released river with 42 degree white water. The cold water was such a relief!
    This is certainly the weather for a sewn through quilt. Wonder how my Pea Pod would do opened up with just a sheet or fleece bag liner? Or maybe I should just take my poncho liner TQ and use a 1/4" evazote pad for this weekend's hang at the lake?
    Sorry to hear your feet problems have returned. Mine have cleared up by wearing my Chacos everywhere! Try them, you never know.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very nice Video that you all made....Glad to hear its not as hot there as it is here in Southern Indiana,,yesterday was 105 w/heat index of 109 and today was 104 w/heat index of 107 and last 5 days has been 100 or plus..and dry! June was our dryest month ever,,in weather keeping and hot..need to go back to the mountains to cool down for sure and soak like you people enjoyed that cool mountain waters. Take care of the foot,,soak in epsoms salts??? you need my hot tub, with the vocano of jets in the bottom for the feet! Keep the videos coming for us land locked flatlanders! Hummm,,going to have to try the baking for the wife to enjoy. Hey,,there's some quick muffin mixes that just add water to make like 4 cup cakes,,like banna nut, triple berry, blueberry,,in packets at the groceries you could bake, all you do is add water and stir up and bake. Check out near the cake mix section of your store to look at. Peace to all.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Did you get that thermometer from Flavor Flav ??
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks for taking us on your hike! 50* water! Cool clear water. Guess that will refresh ya! Neat system to bake some cornbread. Jiffy is sweet. Are you used to the salty tasting kind? Looked like a nice trails. Good luck on your training for the 100 mile wilderness!
    Was thinking bout them GT stools but they look a little small for me. Thanks for showing them. Its been cooler down here in FL than what y'all been having. Its creeping up though. TS Debby brought some dry weather and nights actually got down in the 70's.
    Keep them vids coming Daddy-O! Also thanks for the shout out!
    Last edited by richtorfla; 07-02-2012 at 19:55. Reason: added text

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast