Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My camping here in Minnesota is c-c-cold in the winter! I also have a Montbell half-sleeve down vest and use it all the time. My preferred method is to put it on backwards, arms through sleeves so that is over my chest, neck and stomach. That way it stays in place and provides great warmth. Have used it on my feet at times and also as a pillow!
    Great piece of gear..... http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...0&p_id=2301288
    Get it!
    Shug of the Snug
    That's a great idea Shug. I'll have to try that with my montbell alpine light down jacket.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I have two opinions; 1)I think the vest would be more effective if it was worn and 2)I think bottom insulation is key and is the limiting factor when trying to stay warm in a hammock. The problem is, opinion 1 may work against opinion 2 because of the compression of the vest.

But the concept of integrating clothing into the sleep system is valid. Mid-20s is as low as I've gone on the trail in a hammock and, to date, I've not used a bag or top cover in those temps. I've been perfectly comfortable relying solely on a thin pad, my jacket w/hood, and insulated pants (plus the normal collection of sleepwear; fresh baselayer, balaclava, booties w/fresh socks, etc.). However, in the low 20s in the backyard I've felt cold coming through the pad...I'm convinced that if I boost the pad, the rest of the sleep system is good for much lower temps. If and when I unexpectedly come up against those lower temps I'll at least be able to double over the pad...

If your under insulation is adequate I think the vest used as an extra cover (either over the bag or directly over you inside the bag) would add a lot of extra warmth for the weight...

FB

Images

militay liners

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Those of you who hammock in cold weather: Have any of you used a vest to boost your sleep system, and if so, how helpful was it?

Thanks
    Bill
    these liners are cheap. could test things out you can cut the sleeves off or add button
    http://www.rddusa.com/Liners.html ($9.00 handling charge, was ok for large orders)

i also have used a Thermolite bag liner. i cut a head hole and arm holes in the bottom. wear it like a night shirt. great for 60 degree weather by itself.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My camping here in Minnesota is c-c-cold in the winter! I also have a Montbell half-sleeve down vest and use it all the time. My preferred method is to put it on backwards, arms through sleeves so that is over my chest, neck and stomach. That way it stays in place and provides great warmth. Have used it on my feet at times and also as a pillow!
    Great piece of gear..... http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...0&p_id=2301288
    Get it!
    Shug of the Snug
    Having trouble picturing this. Backwards? Are you saying with the vest unzipped, so that you can still put your arms thru the arm holes, so that pretty much the entire vest can lay on top of you?
    Bill
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Images
    PS: Shug,
    Yep, I think that must be what you were saying. I just tried it in my recliner. I put my vest on that way, and then put my 14 oz PG parka on that way. Holy cow, I ended up with what appeared to be about 4 or 5 inces of loft over my neck/chest/abdomen area. That could be quite the boost, and could do a good job of obliterating any warm air escape from the lower half of my PeaPod, especially if I have the the Pod opened much for a breathing hole.

It was not quite as tight of a neck seal as when using the vest normally. And an even better seal is with my parka hood up, plus I can't use the parks hood itself. But, I am definitely going to look into this general idea, using one or both in this fashion! Thanks for the idea!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You got it BillyBob58!!!
    It'll do ya' right....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ... unzipped in single layer mode, it is wide enough to tuck under my shoulders like a quilt,
    Careful about getting a zipper between you and the hammock. Might be a minor irritation for you, but maybe a major irritation for the hammock.

A pull-over vest insulated with climateshield combat is my basic cold weather insulation supplemented with 1 or 2 wool Ts and head protection, varying with season. It has worked fine from zero on up.

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Careful about getting a zipper between you and the hammock. Might be a minor irritation for you, but maybe a major irritation for the hammock.
    Actually the Montbell has buttons so no issues on that with that garment. As well my SPE protects the ol' hammock. Then the UQ under there keeps a fellow quite toasty on a below 30 night.
    Shuggedy
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    I wear a Cabela's 200-wgt fleece shirt in my hammock. The fleece is less compressible than down in a vest, and the sleeves keep my upper arms from getting chilly.

FarStar