Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calf Pressure?

I went with the Deluxe. I wanted the option of the pad pocket, but haven't used it yet and don't see a need to. The Incubator underneath is toasty.

BP

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bpctcb View Post
    I went with the Deluxe. I wanted the option of the pad pocket, but haven't used it yet and don't see a need to. The Incubator underneath is toasty.

BP
    I have both. You never know, that pad pocket might come in handy some day! I love the deluxe pad pocket, it has always been a thing of beauty IMO. The UL saves me some weight ( no pad pocket for one thing ), and seems to be roomier in the shoulders, though I'm ok that way in the deluxe anyway. Just got used to it I guess. In some other ways I think the deluxe is actually a bit more comfy, not sure why. Maybe it is a tad roomier. Anyway, subtle differences, unless you need a pad.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Stock
    Got my BMBH and 20 inch pad last week. Calf pressure is non existent now and I'm loving it!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Did a comparison today at a local park: BMBH with Incubator vs. BMBH with 25" Thermarest Prolite Pad.

I was sure I'd love the pad better, and at first I did. Hammock seemed more spacious and flat. But side sleeping wasn't so hot. Then I removed the pad and put on the incubator. Yes, the squeeze on the sides was there, but what a lovely cocoon. Side sleeping was cool because you had something to put your back against---something warm because of the height of the Incubator on the sides (with the pad the sides would be cold when a knee hit it). I bet with the Mount Washington quilt it's even better, as it's made to fit perfectly, but you got to go with what you have, and the Incubator worked well, I was happy to find.

I think I've found my new go-to hammock. I just couldn't get comfortable in my gathered end hammock after about 20-25 nights total sleeps over two summers tweeking this and that and finally using a big stuffsack-roll under my knees to make things tolerable.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    All I can add is try it,,and give it a chance,,the BMBH UL is absolutely fantastic to sleep in...just try it.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    All I can add is try it,,and give it a chance,,the BMBH UL is absolutely fantastic to sleep in...just try it.
    +1 for sure. Love my BMBH with Neoair wide pad.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I've slept a few nights in a bridge and I can say you shouldn't ever have a problem with calf pressure in a bridge. You lay FLAT. The only complaint is that a bridge has a slight squeeze in the shoulders, but that is my own experience. You'll need a pillow!
    Right now this is my only complaint about the UL. I'm ok on my side and it actually feels perfect on my stomach (though I eventually cut off the circulation to my arm ). On my back, though, my shoulders get squeezed too much.

Hopefully I'll find a way to try the Deluxe some day.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Did a comparison today at a local park: BMBH with Incubator vs. BMBH with 25" Thermarest Prolite Pad.

I was sure I'd love the pad better, and at first I did. Hammock seemed more spacious and flat. But side sleeping wasn't so hot. Then I removed the pad and put on the incubator. Yes, the squeeze on the sides was there, but what a lovely cocoon. Side sleeping was cool because you had something to put your back against---something warm because of the height of the Incubator on the sides (with the pad the sides would be cold when a knee hit it). I bet with the Mount Washington quilt it's even better, as it's made to fit perfectly, but you got to go with what you have, and the Incubator worked well, I was happy to find.

I think I've found my new go-to hammock. I just couldn't get comfortable in my gathered end hammock after about 20-25 nights total sleeps over two summers tweeking this and that and finally using a big stuffsack-roll under my knees to make things tolerable.
    Was this the the BMBH UL or DLX with pad pocket?

That is indeed an advantage of the UQ with this hammock. Like you, I love to lean back against the side when I am on my side, and this is always very well covered with my MW UQs. With a pad, I would have to figure something else out to cover that area. Maybe some strips of WM CCF blue pad? I actually already have some of these.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    BillyBob58, you read my mind. I went to the park to measure and cut CCF pad pieces to put on the sides when I use a pad (in this case, a Prolite L ). I was trying to figure out how to keep them there--Binder clips? Velcro?

Then I took the pad out of the sleeve (yes, it's a deluxe BMBH) and tried the incubator on the BMBH just for fun (I bought the Incubator for my Blackbird), and forgot all about cutting the pieces. I was too comfy and promptly had a twenty minute nap.

I posted pics here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=60696

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12