Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Final report - pics later

Last night it was -24 C (-11 F) at the evening and -22 C (-8 F) at the morning.

No problems. Clothing - same. Weathercover - closed.

Wiggy's bag warmed up instantly, Exped pad took aboun 5-10 minutes. No cold spots anywhere, I did adjust those halved EVA pads little, the other one was moved away from the optimal spot.

Now I know I can sleep safely many nights in row in -25 C (-13 F) temperature. And when I add my normal winter under ware and normal acclimation to the cold there will be no problems in hanging even -30 C (-22 F). And if it hits under -35 C (-31 F) I can always sleep on ground if I get cold in hammock.

But here in Finland temperature under -30 (-22 F) is rare and those nights it can be avoided by going up to the hill, where it can be substantially warmer than on the low ground. For example in Kuopio on top of the hill it can be -18 C (0 F) and at the same time at the lakes ice it can be -25 C (-13 F). And the height difference is only about 70 m (229 feet). Cold air simply flows down. And in Lapland this phenomenon is even more pronounced because there can be temperatures as cold as -40 C (-40 F).

Now I have my cold weather habitat covered - next thing would be to test functioning all day and day after another in -25 C to -35 C (-13 F to -31 F) temperatures even in windy conditions.

At some point I have a dream to make an "expedition" (similar to this one:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16999) to the Lapland during cold and sunless season late December, January or at early February.
    Last edited by voivalin; 12-25-2012 at 09:33.

• + New Posts