Hammock
    DIY Black 60x120
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie's
    Images

First Hang, First Solo and First Camping in 20 yrs

I just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of info on this forum, more than enough material to gather the knowledge to venture back out in to the woods. The reason I am writing this is in case there are others out there who may be on the fence still and I would say go for it.
    I mostly do day hikes with my wife but after a recent multi day trip in the Venezuelan Andes I decided that I would like to start doing overnight and 2/3 day trips.
    This all led me to hammock research as many years ago I was a ground dweller and now older and wiser would like a bit more comfort.
    I obviously read a lot and watched videos that have been posted. I didn't want to spend a lot on initial kit and so decided on a Skeeter Beeter Ultralite and added whoopie slings and straps from Arrow Head.
    I went with a large tarp in the hope that I can get my wife interested and so went with a Kelty Noah 12.
    Most of my hiking is done in the tri state region of North GA, TN and NC and so that is where I planned my first trip. Supposed to be 2 nights but turned into 1 night due to a lack of water sources. The Big Frog Wilderness in GA can get very dry and so a lesson learned......carry a bladder in case you need to haul extra water when you can get it.
    The first day took me further than I wanted to the Jacks River where I knew I could get water, so about 15 miles from my start point, I must get my pack weight down.
    Had a great site next to the river though, you couldn't ask for a better spot for my first night in a hammock. The hammock went up fast after tree selection but because I had not had the opportunity to test the tarp that took longer to get it set how I wanted.
    Found a spot to hang my bear bag, also a first......hope no one was watching.
    I didn't sleep too well and I have read other posts mentioning the same problem and I think it was because it was too quiet but the hammock was comfortable. I am a side sleeper and that was not an issue. I did add a structural ridge line that helped with this a lot though. Also interestingly I was able to detect cold spots mainly around my shoulders and I doubt the temperature was much below 60 so that is something to address next time out.
    Next morning I spent more time enjoying the location and adding a ridge line to the tarp and guy lines etc, experimenting before continuing my hike looking for the next site. Sadly the 2 litres of water that I had were barely enough to get me the 5 hours it took to find another water source and by that time it was late and I was only an hour away from my truck so I decided to call it a day.
    Overall though I had a great time, learned a lot and plan to get out again this month when I return to the area, hopefully with my wife this time.
    So for anybody thinking about hammock camping I would highly recommend it.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For water troubles, I recommend a sawyer gravity filter. For 1 person, a two liter setup is pretty ideal, when you'll be trekking between watering holes. The benefits of the system are that you can have 2 liters of filtered water for drinking, 2 liters of gray water for cooking/cleaning, + whatever containers you have filled, i.e. nalgene etc.

For me and the lady, I have considered getting a 4 liter setup, but then running a 2 liter blue bag with it (in lieu of the 4 liter blue bag), to cut down on weight. You can filter on the move if necessary, but why not just relax a bit at the watering hole?

Another benefit, if water is a short hike, just bring the gray bag and return to camp to filter.

Also, once primed, the filter does produce clean water at a good rate. I typically back flush it before I leave on my trip, that way the filter is good and primed when I reach my destination. Make sure to get any air out of the hose, as it can create an airlock effect and stunt your water production.

All in all, I can't say enough good things about it. The only drawback I can think of is during cold conditions you will want to prevent it from freezing, as the expanding ice crystals could damage the porous ceramic material that acts as the filter. AKA, you're sleeping with your filter. Personally, it's too valuable to even be off my person in those conditions. But truthfully it's not that big/heavy. I usually put it in my breast pocket of my soft shell and am good to go, with minimal discomfort or bulk.

Oh I guess another drawback is that filling it could be tricky with shallow water sources. You cold potentially siphon into it though...

Hammock
    DIY Black 60x120
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie's
    Images
    Sounds like a good setup I will look into. My biggest problem was that I only had 2 x 1 liter bottles to carry and I just needed more capacity as water sources were too far apart and the weather was hot.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What were you using for water filtration/purification?

Using a gravity filter eliminates redundancy because your filter mechanism is also your carry mechanism. Some people forego the nalgene entirely and use just the bladders with a bite valve that comes with the set. I do not do this, however, because a nalgene can double as a waterproof container in a pinch, and I do not have to worry about accidently dropping it and puncturing it.

The bags are durable, but I have had a small hole develop in one when a person stepped on it. It was rough granite that they ground the bag into. I suspect not much would have held up to that abuse. He was also drunk.

So was I for that matter. But the hole was patchable so whatever.

Hammock
    DIY Black 60x120
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie's
    Images
    I was boiling and I had some purification tabs as a back up. Just as well because I forgot to mention that my stove quit the first night also.
    I will definitely look into a filter but lack of carrying capacity was my biggest issue. If I could have left the river with 4 liters instead of 2 then a 5 hour trek to the next water source would not have been a problem. 15 miles in 80+ degrees with a too heavy pack on 2 liters was not the relaxing hike I was after.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Smartc - Welcome back! Has it been too long?
    I, too, just started back hiking after a short 30 yr hiatus. Here in IL the vast majority of water sources we are likely to find have flowed from agricultural land. Roundup may be a fine product and useful for the farmers, but I just don't think I want to drink it, even with my Sawyer Squeeze. So carrying it is a must.

I wish I had some mountains to hike...

As for pack weight...you can work on that. I have been doing so for a few months, having a great time at it, and I am quite happy with the results so far. Materials science has come a long way, baby! You'll be hiking much lighter in just a few months, I bet!

All the best to you and yours!
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu Trekking
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I never sleep well my first night in a hammock but subsequent nights are no problem - guess I just need time to adjust. Probably why I don't do many one nighters.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Short trips not far from the car are great for fine tuning your gear and setups. Glad that you are back on the trail!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Black 60x120
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Smartc - Welcome back! Has it been too long?
    I, too, just started back hiking after a short 30 yr hiatus. Here in IL the vast majority of water sources we are likely to find have flowed from agricultural land. Roundup may be a fine product and useful for the farmers, but I just don't think I want to drink it, even with my Sawyer Squeeze. So carrying it is a must.

I wish I had some mountains to hike...

As for pack weight...you can work on that. I have been doing so for a few months, having a great time at it, and I am quite happy with the results so far. Materials science has come a long way, baby! You'll be hiking much lighter in just a few months, I bet!

All the best to you and yours!
    Thanks. I am going to DIY a summer top quilt which should help knock about a 24oz off by ditching the sleeping bag. I have moved to an alcohol stove so another 8oz.
    Biggest issue I have is that I will have to carry my wife's stuff when she comes with me so I have my work cut out.

Hammock
    DIY Black 60x120
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trewornan View Post
    I never sleep well my first night in a hammock but subsequent nights are no problem - guess I just need time to adjust. Probably why I don't do many one nighters.
    I am hoping for a 2 nighter in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I will sleep better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast