ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies

Whoopie directly to a continuous loop?

Changing out my stock ENO DN rope/biners. Want to use a continuous loop with a Larks Head (this part seems pretty standard around here), but then I want to larks head the fixed end of my whoopie sling onto that loop.

It seems it should be fine, but I was hoping to be corrected or affirmed before I got too far away from civilization with that setup.

Wanting a semi-permanent continuous loop to whoopie connection that is secure. At home the whoopie needs to get swapped around, but on a trip I'd just assume have them stay together. Obviously I could just thread the whoopie through the channel, but I was hoping to avoid that by having a continuous loop always on the hammock.

I really did look through here to see if this question was asked or directly addressed, but wasn't able to find anything. I have seen some mention this is how they setup their hammocks, but never if this is advisable or not.

Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Seeing more and more folks doing the loop + whoopie thing. Where it only takes a moment to change suspensions I never really got the benefit of adding more stuff. You can do it and it will be fine but your only looking at saving seconds if you need to change suspensions.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I always prefer to put a descending ring, dutch biner, carabiner, or some other piece of hardware between the amsteel continuous loop and the whoopie sling. The piece of hardware acts as a drip ring when rain runs down your suspension. It adds a tiny amount of weight but I never liked doing a rope to rope connection for abrasion reasons.

I'm with Paul, if you're going to larks head a whoopie sling to a continuous loop then you might just as well eliminate the continuous loop and larks head the whoopie sling directly to the hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwillan View Post
    i'm with paul, if you're going to larks head a whoopie sling to a continuous loop then you might just as well eliminate the continuous loop and larks head the whoopie sling directly to the hammock.

Cheers

brian
    +1 .

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Well Pgibson, BrianWillan, engine386 you all make some sense, and I thank you for your responses.

Perhaps I was over-thinking it. I will just attach my whoopies directly to the hammock. If I end up having to swap them enough and have enough difficulty in that process then perhaps I will look for a "better" option for me. Until then I will just keep it simple.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    you pretty much allude to the dutch whoopie hook with this setup.
    if 6.8 grams are too much extra weight though, you may reconsider.

i personally love that setup.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    None now!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies or straps
    I actually did just that with the whoopee larked over the continuous loop. I did it on a cheap-o flat jungle hammock that had all the leaders coming off of the end. The metal rings were really heavy, so I swapped those out with small continuous loops. It worked fine, but could have eliminated all of the extra stuff like what was mentioned earlier by running all of the leaders right through the fixed loop on the whoopee. In fact, dragging out the hammock now to fix that!

Thanks for posting that!
    Last edited by bushcrafter; 07-02-2012 at 19:24. Reason: Needed to say thanks for a point

Me YouTube Channel

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    you pretty much allude to the dutch whoopie hook with this setup.
    if 6.8 grams are too much extra weight though, you may reconsider.

i personally love that setup.

Ya I looked at that, and that certainly has its advantages. I might go that route, but still getting into this all so trying to limit the spending and pieces to keep it simpler.

Is this the sort of application what the whoopie hook was made for, or commonly used for?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
    Ya I looked at that, and that certainly has its advantages. I might go that route, but still getting into this all so trying to limit the spending and pieces to keep it simpler.

Is this the sort of application what the whoopie hook was made for, or commonly used for?
    pretty much, it replaces a carabiner or dutch biner to make the connection -- also serves to prevent the adjustable loop of the whoopie from being pulled into the adjustable bury.

the whoopie is used in an inverted fashion- with the fixed eye loop making the connection at the tree strap. in the meantime, one could certainly use a climbing rated biner if more convenient.**(also good to hang stuff from - boots, pack, stuff)
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a continuous loop larks headed onto the hammock and then use a Dutch whoopie hook to attach the whoopie sling to the loop.

The advantage for me occurs in the rain. I can attach the separate suspensions to the trees after my tarp is set up. Then I can take the hammock out of the sack under the protection of the tarp and reach out to the suspension lines and connect them to the hammock.

The other advantage is that I can pack away the suspension separately when it's wet or full of sap.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast