Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)

Permanent Mount on tree (don't want to hurt the tree)

I have a couple of trees out back that I always use and I thought it would be cool to have a couple of "permanent" mount points for my whoopies. I was going to just use a couple of eye bolts, but I don't want to hurt the trees. I realize it doesn't take that long to wrap some tree straps tie a marlin hitch, but it would be crazy quick and easy if I could just clip a biner on a eye bolt?

Thoughts?

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    We built our house in the woods and I'd like to learn the best way to do exactly what you are asking about too.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I can't see a couple of screw eyes hurting a thing. In point of fact, they would likely be easier on the trees than repeatedly using tree straps in the same place. Over time, that will eat away at the bark.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Check out what these guys did. This is the Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course at Fort Tuthill. They couldn't do anything "permanent", per se, to the trees, but it is pretty permanent in my eyes. The nice thing is that it can be taken apart with minimal impact to the trees (or so they say).

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Farmers (aka my grandparents) used to uses trees, as fence posts, that where in line with a fence line ...

They would wrap the barbwire around the tree and place some staples, the tree would produce some sap the "heal" the holes and eventually it would also grow over the wire (like my belly does to my belt LOL). Fact is that 1 hole is alot better then contunied removal of bark. The tree can "heal" that one hole then it is done... After 10-15 years (depending on type of tree and weather) the eyelets will be overgrown by the tree.

But if this is "permant" camp site make sure the fire pit, waste water disposal and other unfriendly enviromental practices happen far enough away from the tree (and more importantly any surface water).
    Last edited by Not_Yet; 07-03-2012 at 11:45.

Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps
    As an Arborist I know that a trees back is like our skin, it keeps the good in and the bad out. Any time I must break that skin/bark I risk letting a pathagen into the tree. I also know that trees have defences to protect themselves.

For repeated hangs the eye bolt is a better option. Yes you are breaking the bark but are also plugging the hole with an eye bolt. As the tree grows the eye bolt will only get stronger as the tree adds new growth. Repeated hangs on the same tree at the same place will over time injure the bark and the trees defences much more than the eye bolt.

Go with the eye bolt.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    This is what I was hoping to see. I'll go with the eye bolts! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose Climbers View Post
    As an Arborist I know that a trees back is like our skin, it keeps the good in and the bad out. Any time I must break that skin/bark I risk letting a pathagen into the tree. I also know that trees have defences to protect themselves.

For repeated hangs the eye bolt is a better option. Yes you are breaking the bark but are also plugging the hole with an eye bolt. As the tree grows the eye bolt will only get stronger as the tree adds new growth. Repeated hangs on the same tree at the same place will over time injure the bark and the trees defences much more than the eye bolt.

Go with the eye bolt.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I've had eyebolts in my two maples out front for decades. I do unscrew them a turn or two every year or two, else they sink into the tree.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    As a forester... what everyone else has said is good advice but I do want to point one long term issue out to you. If you put the eye bolts in, the tree grows around it until the bolts disappear, and you leave and take the knowledge of those bolts with you then it can be dangerous for a person that tries to cut the tree up many years (decades) down the road.

Not a huge deal but something to think about.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have two trees 34 feet apart. According to the hammock calculator I need to install eye bolts 11.3 feet high. Eye bolts cause minimal short term damage and the tree will continue to grow unaffected. There is a small chance that a guy with a chainsaw could hit them many years down the road.

I my case I will need to attach a 5 or 6 foot chain, via shackles, to the eye bolts, and then figure out how to secure the chain from damaging the trees when not in use.
    To support the Boy Scouts, please buy some popcorn from http://www.trails-end.com/shop/scout...sp?id=28250585

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast