Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap???

Quote Originally Posted by JDBaughman View Post
    My wife just got a little perturbed with me... Can't say nothin now cause I told her she smelled good this morning before work

...gets 'em 60% of the time, every time!
    Lol ya know how that is. Wish mine would be ok if I told her she smelled good or something but that don't do a not of good lol

I have been doing a bunch of research on here and looking at a lot and I have come up with an idea that I am going to use on my canoe trip and see how it works. Since this is all last minute for me. Then when I get back I will start ordering things and adding to my setup to make it lighter and less bulk. Will try to take pictures of the setup when I am on the canoe trip if I can if not I will setup at home and take a few pictures. Wish me luck. And thanks for all the help.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Good Luck with your trip. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that if you aren't scared by a thread injector (aka - sewing machine) you can make some gear yourself. I started with a bug net for about $7, moved on to a tarp and am now ready to start injecting thread to make a top quilt for the fall. Check out the DIY section, start with the sticky articles and move on. There's not a lot of $ to be saved, but a lot of us enjoy it and you can customize your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    Good Luck with your trip. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that if you aren't scared by a thread injector (aka - sewing machine) you can make some gear yourself. I started with a bug net for about $7, moved on to a tarp and am now ready to start injecting thread to make a top quilt for the fall. Check out the DIY section, start with the sticky articles and move on. There's not a lot of $ to be saved, but a lot of us enjoy it and you can customize your gear.
    Ok thanks you all have helped out a lot

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Fishman I saw all you need is a tarp and a bug net, you can order a bug sock for about $30-60 depending or you can make your own with a sewing machine for $15 when you buy a coglahan's cot net and resew it to fronky diy version.

Tarps can be anywhere from a blue cheapie from walmart to quite a bit, just look under the individual sections of the forum for the advise in the sticky threads at the top

Ya the guy that got me started in hammock camping is going to help me make a bug net and I was thinking about getting this tarp http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/3-2810092. But their shipping is crazy but not sure if it is a good tarp to get cause don't want to spend a ton right now just want to het started and then make my own later

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I will second the Hennessy Hex. Decent price and GOOD coverage...We hang our beds off the same trees, side by side and are well protected! It is a bit heavy tho.
    It also comes with lines to hang it. Skinned up in snakeskins i fold it in half twice an strap it to the outside of my pack. Use a continuous ridgeline with no hardware.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_man View Post
    Ya the guy that got me started in hammock camping is going to help me make a bug net and I was thinking about getting this tarp http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/3-2810092. But their shipping is crazy but not sure if it is a good tarp to get cause don't want to spend a ton right now just want to het started and then make my own later
    That tarp is just a camo version of a blue one from any big box store

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_man View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have that same tarp from my ground-dwelling days. Once I check on the size (and whether or not it's molded during storage, which happens with those poly tarps if they get put away wet, and might have happened here), I'd be willing to forward it to you for the cost of shipping.

It works (it kept me dry in some serious thunderstorms, though water came up from outside the tarp and caused the bathtub floor of my tent to float on the tent pad), but it's heavy and bulky.

Let me check on its status and get back to you.

Edit:

Just checked it. It's in decent condition (I'd describe it as "like new", except for the fold lines from being stored folded), has a woodland-esque camo pattern on one side and is OD green on the other, measures 11.5 ft x 8 ft, and weighs ~3 lbs (according to my bathroom scale; I have a more accurate scale, but that one only measures up to a pound).

PM me if you're interested; I'll send it for the cost of shipping. Won't be able to get it out until next Wednesday, though. I'm either out of town with the wife or at work until then.
    Last edited by FLRider; 07-07-2012 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have that same tarp from my ground-dwelling days. Once I check on the size (and whether or not it's molded during storage, which happens with those poly tarps if they get put away wet, and might have happened here), I'd be willing to forward it to you for the cost of shipping.

It works (it kept me dry in some serious thunderstorms, though water came up from outside the tarp and caused the bathtub floor of my tent to float on the tent pad), but it's heavy and bulky.

Let me check on its status and get back to you.
    Ok cool. I would be willing to pay for a fast shipping even. I need to get one before the 18th of this month lol I have a trip on the 20th

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast