Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap???

Cheap???

Are there any good hammock kits out there that are good quality but still don't break the bank. I am 6'4" and weigh 188. A buddy of mine gave me the hammock part you lay in but that is it. I need bug net rigging to hold it up. And a rain tarp. I am open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    If you go on amazon, you can get the Hennessy Hex Rainfly for $70. It's poly but fairly light for what it is. It is 12'x10'. Great for the price!
    16S/3873805/0669292

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Give us a little more help. Are you going to be packing this rig or car camping?

If it's the latter, weight and bulk, not a factor, then WW or Harbor Freight Blue tarp special. Hard to beat for the price and coverage. Cheap. Bombproof, Noisy.

A piece of Tyvek recovered from jobsite is free, and much lighter, takes a bit of DIY skills.

A clear plastic painters drop cloth, while more fragile, is very lightweight, packs down small, is pretty cheap too.

The HH Hex is good coverage and a decent value at 70 bucks, but another 25 dollars can get you into what I consider, "Real Tarp Land", with a good cottage vendor Sil tarp, that will provide coverage for about 14 oz or so.

BIAS makes a nice hammock suspension for about 16 dollars.

A bug net once again from one of the cottage vendors is going to run 50-60 dollars, unless you DIY one yourself. A little cheaper from the box stores, but might or might not fit as well as one made specifically for your rig.

A fixed or adjustable hammock ridgeline will make suspending the bug net and adjusting the lay a snap. 25 bucks, unless DIY'd, You have to buy 50' lengths of Lash-it or Zing-it, for line and tie outs, so once again cottage vendors very competitive on price and quality of this item.

Don't forget you'll need a Tarp line or lines to suspend it as well independently from the hammock suspension. These don't cost a lot, and don't need to be as strong structurally. 40-50' for a continuous ridgeline should be plenty, maybe another 30-40' for tie outs.

Hope some of that helps

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If cost is more important than being ultralight for the tarp, I recommend the Chinook 12 x 9.6 ft. It is polyurethane coated ripstop instead of lighter silnylon, but they can often be found under $40. Check out fedtacticaldirect.com where I found mine. They had the best price I could find a few months ago.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The For Sale section on this Forum is an excellent source. 95% of my set up has come from stuff I've purchased from other members through that Froum. Folks are always upgrading and selling thier entry level stuff, or have bought something that is good gear but "just not for them". I haven't had one unpleasant experience and shiping times have actually been better than retail sources. I've gotten a couple lof nice DIY projects from folks who's skills have advanced and they've sold their first or second efforts

Great deal on a whole set up here, that has a hammock wth bug net, tarp and underquilt:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55372

If that's not for you, a little patience, perseverance, and frequent checking and you'll have eveything you need in good condition and at less than retail. A great JRB tarp just sold for $85.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    At $45 the Byer-Moskito-Traveller is not a bad starter hammock. I started with one. I could never get comfortable in it. But some folks love them.
    I gave mine to a buddy who spends a lot of time in airplanes waiting to jump out of them. It seems those types have been stringing up hammocks in the fuselage. I have to say it beats the hell out of jump-seats.

http://www.rei.com/product/736088/by...veller-hammock

As for the tarp. you could go with Tyvek or a cheap gear guide tarp. I love mine. But I hear the quality has really gone downhill lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Give us a little more help. Are you going to be packing this rig or car camping?

Rolloff
    Sorry ya that would help lol.

I am making this for a yearly canoe trip that I take. We put our gear in 6gal gamma sealed buckets. With our other stuff so weight and space is an issue. But money right now is also.

May just work on it slowly over the year with all the info from here, till I go next year.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    How about the GrandTrunk Ultralight Skeeter Beeter? About $60 so you only need to add suspension, a tarp, a pad and a quilt. (Never tried one, I have a GT Nano and I love it.)
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    How about the GrandTrunk Ultralight Skeeter Beeter? About $60 so you only need to add suspension, a tarp, a pad and a quilt. (Never tried one, I have a GT Nano and I love it.)
    Ok thanks will look that up and see what I can find. I like all the learning and trying put new stuff like this but the wife don't like all the money lol

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    My wife just got a little perturbed with me... Can't say nothin now cause I told her she smelled good this morning before work

...gets 'em 60% of the time, every time!
    16S/3873805/0669292

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast