Hammock
    ///
    Tarp
    ///
    Insulation
    ///
    Suspension
    ///
    You might check cheaper than dirt for tarps too. They have nylon a 10 x 12 for around $25 shipped.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    Thanks for the info Brian. Have now visited all of those vendors as well as BIAS. Got distracted by the BIAS sale on hammock kits ($22 for the full suspension kit vs. $50 for the hammock AND the full suspension kit!), then started pricing mods to the hammock (don't you think the second layer would be good to have?? Great for sliding in a pad or other insulation), then added an adjustable ridge line and pretty soon I was getting a whole new setup.

At that point, I knew I had to leave the site and re group.

"Hi. my name is Bruce. I'm addicted to acquiring camping gear."

I'm just going to order the suspension and adjustable ridge line....for now.

Bruce

Bruce
    From my gear seletion, you can see, the same thing happened to me. Fortunately with BIAS concerned, it was fairly easy on my wallet. They offer great gear, super customer service, fast shipping, and they don't take too big of a bite, compared to many other kits.

If using a pad, the double is very handy. SilverSurfer in here has one, and loves it.

I use a pad, but intend to upgrade to UQ's, and don't find myself wrestling with the problems as others do. My WW Single has such a sweet lay, I'd rather change insulation, than hammock!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Naegling: Thanks for the rec! Will definitely look into tarp options there. Something "cheaper than dirt" would make the wife MUCH happier!

Rolloff (BTW: GREAT username!): Good to know about the WW. I was REALLY torn when reviewing the BIAS site last night... They're stuff looks good, and, I mean, they're HAVING A SALE! I'd actually end up SAVING money by getting the WW Kit!

Fortunately, I should have some time to get the set up dialed in before cold temps start to be a major issue. Next non-Boy Scout summer camp outing is in August (kayaking somewhere nearby)... probably won't have to worry too much about keeping warm. Will definitely need to focus on ways of keeping as dry and as bug free as possible.

Bruce

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I bought the WW kit/suspension myself. Very nice to have everything you need to hang, right out of the box.

I'd toss in the few extra bucks for the Knotty Mods again, in a heartbeat too.

Nothing but sweet, and you get a free BIAS footbox!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Welcome to the party! Be careful or you'll find yourself buying a sewing machine...
    As funny as that sounds...... my wife tolerated me walking around a few stores and looking at them. They asked what i wanted for my birthday... and i told them either a sewing machine or a madcat tarp.. I'm waiting to see what they come up with. Knowing my family it will be a sewing machine that magically floats along the trail and makes costom tarps as needed. At leat that is what my son would make if he could.

Thanks Steve! It's funny you mention that....stated looking for deals on old Singers on Craigslist. not that I know how to sew...I don't. But, it can't be THAT hard, can it?

Bruce
    Actually its not that bad. The biggest problem I've had is when I use a heavy string and I have a hard time adjusting the tension. It will bunch up and make a big mess. But once you get the tension right it works fine. It just take some work and practice to find that sweet spot.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Naegling: Thanks for the rec! Will definitely look into tarp options there. Something "cheaper than dirt" would make the wife MUCH happier!

Rolloff (BTW: GREAT username!): Good to know about the WW. I was REALLY torn when reviewing the BIAS site last night... They're stuff looks good, and, I mean, they're HAVING A SALE! I'd actually end up SAVING money by getting the WW Kit!

Fortunately, I should have some time to get the set up dialed in before cold temps start to be a major issue. Next non-Boy Scout summer camp outing is in August (kayaking somewhere nearby)... probably won't have to worry too much about keeping warm. Will definitely need to focus on ways of keeping as dry and as bug free as possible.

Bruce
    One of the rangers I met told me about a site called steep and cheap. Here is the link. He said they run one deal until its all gone then something new goes up. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what comes around but he said he has bought some awesome gear for super cheap from them. He did mention his head lamp but I dont remember the brand. I think he said he got it for $15 or something and it is usually $100.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Quote Originally Posted by Oper8or View Post
    One of the rangers I met told me about a site called steep and cheap. Here is the link. He said they run one deal until its all gone then something new goes up. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what comes around but he said he has bought some awesome gear for super cheap from them. He did mention his head lamp but I dont remember the brand. I think he said he got it for $15 or something and it is usually $100.
    Was looking at that site looks great.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    And you don't need to be able to sew. There's a no-sew version (probably good down into the high 40s or low 50s for most folks) located here. Scroll down; Dejoha modified the original design a few posts down.

Oh, and welcome!
    FlRider is right. I literally just bought a sewing machine and made my no sew into a sewed uq not two weeks ago. Haven't used it yet, but I am sure it will work just as well.

You are most welcome for the info. Have fun and hang safe!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 &amp; Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Brian over at Buttinasling is a great guy, just ordered a big order from them yesterday

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123