Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby

Cool Just getting started and on a budget

Howdy all! I was hoping to get access to concentrated wisdom from the group. I'm relatively new to camping, but have gotten a lot more involved since my son became a Boy Scout. I've also become an assistant Scoutmaster, which means I'm going camping at least once a month....which at this point mean packing up and dragging along a big ol tent and cot to try to get a decent night sleep. I JUST got a hammock initially as a way of relaxing (for those few moments on outings when one can relax) at the campsite. Would expect that the boys would have some fun playing in a hammock as well. But, as I started investigating hammocks, it turns out that you can actually CAMP in them! What a concept!

So, I am interested in seeing what might be involved in getting set up as a hammock camper with a couple caveats: my DIY skills are somewhat limited (no sewing machine, and i'm knot challenged) and I'm on a budget. I just bought an REI tent and the REI cot (which is actually quite nice, just large and heavy). In order to maintain some family harmony, would be good to try to keep costs reasonable.

What I currently have: Hammock Bliss Double, homemade tree straps (thanks Professor Grizz!). Just using Figure Nine carabiners to connect the rope that came with the hammock to the home made tree straps. Easy to adjust.

I've been eyeing the Hennesy Explorer Deluxe (and drooling over the WBBB!) as sort of an all in one system. Was curious if folks had suggestions for other setups (e. g. tarp, bug net, suspension) that might be less expensive and could use my existing hammock.

BTW: I'm ~6' and ~200lb. And, this set up would be for car camping only, so weight isn't a big deal...at least for now.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Bruce

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

Using your existing hammock is fine. I would suggest upgrading the stock suspension to either whoopie slings and tree huggers or an adjustable webbing system with cinch buckles. These are available as all in one kits from Arrowhead Equipment and a couple other vendors. At this site, there is also a half bug net available too.

As for a tarp, for car camping purposes any blue poly tarp from the big box stores will do the job. While at the big box store, pick up a blue CCF pad for insulation, unless you already have an insulated mat from your ground dwelling days. Your existing sleeping bag will work fine in a hammock. Just unzip it somewhat to form a foot box and use it as a quilt.

If you stick with hammock camping, you can always upgrade as time and finances allow to the lighter weight stuff meant for backpacking on a hiking trail.

Welcome to the madness and be sure to keep a firm grasp on your wallet, lest you spend all your cash on the gear goodies offered by the vendors here.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    You can cut down a cheap coghlans net for a bug net. $15 bucks or so there.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Thanks for the rapid responses, Brian and Crash! Good to know I can get by on a budget.

Q: are there other cottage vendors that would be good to consider for whoopies and tarp line aside from Arrowhead?

Bruce

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    Thanks for the rapid responses, Brian and Crash! Good to know I can get by on a budget.

Q: are there other cottage vendors that would be good to consider for whoopies and tarp line aside from Arrowhead?

Bruce
    whoopieslings.com would be one vendor. Jacks R Better would be another. Just visit their websites. Several of the vendors offer whoopie slings and tree straps. I just suggested Arrowhead as they offer both the whoopie sling kit and adjustable webbing suspension kit.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Thanks for the info Brian. Have now visited all of those vendors as well as BIAS. Got distracted by the BIAS sale on hammock kits ($22 for the full suspension kit vs. $50 for the hammock AND the full suspension kit!), then started pricing mods to the hammock (don't you think the second layer would be good to have?? Great for sliding in a pad or other insulation), then added an adjustable ridge line and pretty soon I was getting a whole new setup.

At that point, I knew I had to leave the site and re group.

"Hi. my name is Bruce. I'm addicted to acquiring camping gear."

I'm just going to order the suspension and adjustable ridge line....for now.

Bruce

Bruce

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post

"Hi. my name is Bruce. I'm addicted to acquiring camping gear."
    Welcome to the party! Be careful or you'll find yourself buying a sewing machine...

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Thanks Steve! It's funny you mention that....stated looking for deals on old Singers on Craigslist. not that I know how to sew...I don't. But, it can't be THAT hard, can it?

Bruce

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Suspension and ridge line ordered from BIAS.

Next stop, Wally World for a tarp!

Bruce

Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    If you're using the good ol blue tarps. Get some good tensioners. Or better yet, DIY! It's a good way to get started. The blue flapping around will keep the campers in the next park awake. It's also a great way to start uP them DIY skills.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast