Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Space blanket + Pads

Hello,Most of my questions are about keeping warm,So heres another one.

Well my idea is,What about making a sleeve out of a space blanket for a pad? Would this help at all?

While using a old sleeping bag as a blanket?

That is really my main question..

But i have added a little bit more below.

------------

I received my HH Explorer Deluxe A-sym Recently and in the first night i got it,I went out into the Forrest(Close to my house) and set up.

So i have a few questions and ideas.

One:When i first set my hammock up i noticed i had problems with the tree huggers,They weren't big enough at ALL.

Is it safe to just do the figure 8 knot without it? or no?

Two: Also,I couldn't figure out how to set up my hex fly.
    Is they any videos on how to do it?

I also bought a couple of stakes and thin rope...I used two of my stakes to spread out the bottom of the hammock (The two ropes on the side.) So that worked fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I quite often cannot find trees small enough to wrap the huggers completely around, and havent fallen out of mine yet using the figure 8 knot with the huggers not closed completely. If you're concerned, you could add a half hitch or 2, but, with enough firgure 8's, I dont think it'll go anywhere. You may experience some additional stretching, but this can be remedied by laying in it and taking up the slack before you crash for the night.
    As far as setting up the tarp, here is what I do: I separated it from the hammock itself, and rigged a ridgeline for it with 550 cord. I then secured either of the long ends to the ridgeline using prussik knots, so they could be adjusted independently. To set up, I put the fly up FIRST; I tie the ridgeline off on the same two trees I will use to hang from. I slide the prussiks out on either end, fully extending the tarp. Now, all I have to do is stake down the two loose sides. You will notice that it is asymmetrical, so, when you set your hammock up, you want to match the hammock sides with the fly sides. Once you do this a couple times, it is simple.
    One note about putting up the fly; I have read suggestions of rigging the fly ridgeline below the tree huggers, so it will hang closer to the hammock. To do this, you will have to set the tree huggers ABOVE the ridgeline for the fly, if you set the fly first. It can take some adjusting to get it right, and you REALLY only need to put the fly up first if there is rain. But, you DEFINITELY want to tie the ridgeline for the fly below the tree huggers.
    I will have pics after this weekend, and feel free to browse them, once uploaded.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naiya44 View Post
    (...)
    Two: Also,I couldn't figure out how to set up my hex fly.
    Is they any videos on how to do it?
    (...)
    I have the Polyester HH Hex Fly (the heavy one), not sure if you have the silnylon one, but this i can tell you from what i know from mine:
    The corners with the Hennessy Hammock Com logo pockets are the ones you tie to the same trees as the suspension of your hammock; these corners also differ from the four other tie outs in that they don't have the little hook thingys and the cord is attached to a plastic triangle, not cricles as with the four tieouts. These corner also come with a thicker cord than the four tie outs, imagine these two corners are the two suspension lines of your hammock: you would tie these two first to the same trees as the hammock, then the side tie outs.
    Depending on the weather you could tie the fly higher or lower that the tree huggers. Cold weather lower, hotter weather higher to allow more wind flow.
    Also, i've read arround here that it doesn't matter which side faces up or down, but i rather put the shinny side* downwards since its the side with the pockets and if it rains and they were facing up, exposed to the rain, they'd fill up with water. Remember these pockets can be used to store the tieouts not only when storing the fly, also you could use them when its set up, for storing the remaining cord so it doesn't get dirty or wet.
    Hope this helps.

*I think only the polyester tarps come shinny on one side. So if you have the lightweight silnylon fly, just use the pockets to know which side should face up.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 09-10-2008 at 09:29.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    And if I may suggest a solution for the tree hugger problem, you could switch your suspension system to ring or cinch buckle systems. The info for these really easy to do mods and easy to handle systems are in the following section of the forums: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=52. I used the Ring Buckle Supports guide by Just Jeff but with out the biners, they are quite expensive over here.
    These systems free you from doing knots or lashings and I have still not found a tree too thick that my straps are not able to go around.
    Good Luck
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Thanks for the fast replies guys, I really don't wanna "Ruin" My hammock yet with mods..But I will probably do it in the future.

No comments on the space blanket sleeve for a pad idea?

--

Also,I still can't figure out what you mean for the fly..=[

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Also,I still can't figure out what you mean for the fly..=[
    I'm assuming your talking about oldsoldier’s post:

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    One note about putting up the fly; I have read suggestions of rigging the fly ridgeline below the tree huggers, so it will hang closer to the hammock. To do this, you will have to set the tree huggers ABOVE the ridgeline for the fly, if you set the fly first. It can take some adjusting to get it right, and you REALLY only need to put the fly up first if there is rain. But, you DEFINITELY want to tie the ridgeline for the fly below the tree huggers.

A trick many of us use early on in Hennessy training is to ignore what TH says about attaching the tarp to the hammock. Use a ridgeline tie-out to tie the fly to the trees (like the hammock). Using this method will help keep a good pitch on the fly when you get into the hammock and ‘drop’. With the fly attached to the hammock, it drops too. Tying tarp lines to the trees below the hammock suspension helps keep it closer to the hammock (giving better coverage) once the hammock is loaded.

Never used a space blanket, so got nothing for ya there.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm assuming your talking about oldsoldier’s post:

A trick many of us use early on in Hennessy training is to ignore what TH says about attaching the tarp to the hammock. Use a ridgeline tie-out to tie the fly to the trees (like the hammock). Using this method will help keep a good pitch on the fly when you get into the hammock and ‘drop’. With the fly attached to the hammock, it drops too. Tying tarp lines to the trees below the hammock suspension helps keep it closer to the hammock (giving better coverage) once the hammock is loaded.

Never used a space blanket, so got nothing for ya there.

When you mean ridge line,Do you just mean having a piece of rope tied to the same trees as the hammock,And resting the middle of the fly over that? While staking the other ends down?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well my idea is,What about making a sleeve out of a space blanket for a pad? Would this help at all?
    My first thought is that the SB would be really easy to tear w/ rotating & shifting the body on top of it.
    There's a thread where SBs are disused here. I'll see if I can find it if no one beats me to it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    My first thought is that the SB would be really easy to tear w/ rotating & shifting the body on top of it.
    There's a thread where SBs are disused here. I'll see if I can find it if no one beats me to it.
    I'm not really a huge mover,Only a little bit during the night,I don't see if ripping,But might as well try it.

Was just thinking it might have some condensation? Problems.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    When you mean ridge line,Do you just mean having a piece of rope tied to the same trees as the hammock,And resting the middle of the fly over that? While staking the other ends down?
    No, just tie a piece of cord to the points of the tarp (head and foot). You don't need an actual ridgeline, just attachment points.

One piece of cord on each end. Same way your hammock is set-up.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast