Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images

Diy UQ

I have acquired several poncho liners to make into UQ and TQ. I have several questions regarding the sewing of the UQ. 1. I plan on taking the time to save and reuse the nylon edging, has anyone else done this? 2).Since 90% of my camping will be in the Sierra's temps are now in low 40s, will just a sewn poncho get me to that or do I need to add batting? I plan on using my 20 degree down bag as a top quilt. will both of these get me close to comfortable at 40 degrees? 3) Does an air gap between the inner and outer layer of the UQ help or should they be pretty much touching?

Thanks
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    If you do plan on using a sew-em-up pluq in low temps, I'd use a couple of layers of pl and throw a layer of polar guard not batting. Batting doesn't provide much in relations to pack size and weight. Sure batting is cheap, but I wouldn't use it and I'm a car camper for now.

But to answer you question bluntly, yes a pluq sew or no sew will work comfortably to the 40 degrees area but I wouldn't go lower than that with one without extra insulation sewn in. Hope this helps...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts