Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Want to buy a poncho liner top quilt under quilt set.

    I Want to buy a poncho liner tq/uq set. Reason being it is summer and I cannot afford a 3 season set right now, right now all I have is a usgi mss, its kinda bulky want to save space on my pack. I may look into doing a DIY one I'm not sure yet. Depends on what I can get an already made set for. I can make a set for 40-60 bucks. So I don't want to pay more than 80 shipped for a both. So let me know what ya got or if I should just make my own.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,245
    Images
    207
    If you've got DIY skills, I'd recommend making your own. Unless you want to buy the materials, pay for shipping back and forth, I'm not sure it is cost effective (maybe find a neighbor?). I could make you both, but I'd have you ship me the materials and pay to ship it back.

    Lots of great DIY threads and instructions on the PLUQ.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/tags.php?tag=pluq

  3. #3
    Hould
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    If you've got DIY skills, I'd recommend making your own. Unless you want to buy the materials, pay for shipping back and forth, I'm not sure it is cost effective (maybe find a neighbor?). I could make you both, but I'd have you ship me the materials and pay to ship it back.

    Lots of great DIY threads and instructions on the PLUQ.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/tags.php?tag=pluq
    Never done any DIY stuff with hammock stuff. All bushcrsft and things like that. Totally different. My grandmother is top notch with a sewing machine. Bet I could get her to help. I was looking at the instrustions. Seems simple but I don't want it to look like crsp because Idk how to sew. So ill just make my own and have her help. Should I buy used woobies off eBay used for like 10 - 16 or brand new ones off a military surplus site for 22.00ish?

  4. #4
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,650
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorJunkie1992 View Post
    Hould

    Never done any DIY stuff with hammock stuff. All bushcrsft and things like that. Totally different. My grandmother is top notch with a sewing machine. Bet I could get her to help. I was looking at the instrustions. Seems simple but I don't want it to look like crsp because Idk how to sew. So ill just make my own and have her help. Should I buy used woobies off eBay used for like 10 - 16 or brand new ones off a military surplus site for 22.00ish?
    Depends on how much the shipping is going to be and whether or not you can get the seller to include a photo of the tag. Make sure that the tag doesn't say "Made in China"; the US-made ones are better quality, slightly warmer, and definitely have a much softer outer shell (less important in an underquilt, but for the topquilt...).

    The basic sewn-up instructions for the underquilt (the ones that dejoha put out there) are exceptionally easy to follow. You don't need to know anything other than how to set the tension on the machine and to use the reverse button. If you can do those two things, you're good to go.

    Anyway, hope it helps!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Depends on how much the shipping is going to be and whether or not you can get the seller to include a photo of the tag. Make sure that the tag doesn't say "Made in China"; the US-made ones are better quality, slightly warmer, and definitely have a much softer outer shell (less important in an underquilt, but for the topquilt...).

    The basic sewn-up instructions for the underquilt (the ones that dejoha put out there) are exceptionally easy to follow. You don't need to know anything other than how to set the tension on the machine and to use the reverse button. If you can do those two things, you're good to go.

    Anyway, hope it helps!
    Ya I'm gonna buy the ones from us surplus. I'll never buy any outdoor stuff that is not us with an exception of my se wetterlings axe. Just gonna do it my self ill post pics when ever I get it done in a new thread. Thanks for the help guys.

  6. #6
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,650
    Images
    14
    Not a problem. Let us know how it goes!

  7. #7
    Made my own set till I can afford quilt combo set. Close thread thanks
    Last edited by TheCoyote; 08-04-2012 at 16:30.

Similar Threads

  1. Poncho Liner Top Quilt
    By Steve D in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 16:42
  2. DIY Poncho Liner Under Quilt
    By Trail Medic in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 09:10
  3. No Sew Poncho Liner TOP Quilt (PLTQ) - DIY
    By Boston in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 20:42
  4. DIY Poncho liner Top quilt
    By alrany187 in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 15:39
  5. Poncho Liner top quilt
    By rigidpsycho in forum Top Insulation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 16:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •