WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Who uses Figure 9 tarp rigging?

I am curious who out there is using a figure-9 to rig up their tarp? I've seen lots of illustration of the prusik method, including Shug's videos on Youtube, but I haven't seen how it is done with a figure-9.

Could some of you post some photos here of how you rig up your tarp with a figure-9? It would really help me understand how to do it.

I've seen the sticky with the illustration of the different tarp riggings, but it doesn't show exactly how to rig up the figure-9.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I use it. Dutch hook on one end of the ridge line, and the figure of nine to tighten the line on the other end. Prusiks on the ridge line to be able to move the tarp.
    Sorry no pics in the moment.
    yakass.net

Images
    i use the figure 9. its about the same as a dutch fly and can be used interchangeable in the illustrations. i just haven't changed my method in 3 yrs. i use a fig. 9 at one end and mini S clip on other. prusik knots to slide on zing-it to center the tarp.

too slow same as post above
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There are a couple of different ways to rig a tarp using figure 9s. I don't have pictures but maybe I can describe it to some degree.

So the figure 9 has a couple parts, the hole, the notched hook, and the smooth hook. Now I always picture it like this: The notched hook and smooth hook make almost like an arrow that points to something. This is important. Now for the setup:

1) Put a bowline into one side of your guyline, and then slipknot it through the grommet of your tarp. Bowline: http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline...matedknots.com

2) Then eyeball or measure the distance between you and the anchor point, and compare it to the amount of line you have. You'll want to place the figure 9 in such a spot that the guyline can go around your object and reach the figure 9.

3) Put the figure 9 on in a spot the guyline will reach after wrapping around your anchor. To do this take a bite out of the rope and thread it through the hole in the figure 9. Do it such that the "arrow" on the figure 9 is pointing TOWARDS your anchor. Take the line threaded through the hole and loop it over the "arrow". Now the figure 9 should be locked into that portion of line.

- For an easier adjustment you could attach the figure 9 to a prussik (learned this from Shug!) and keep it on your guyline. Then you won't have to be as accurate in placing the figure 9.

4) Take the remaining line, wrap around your anchor and back up to the figure 9. Use the smooth hook to tension the line, and the notched side to lock it in. I always wrap twice on the notched side.

5) Tie a half hitch stopper knot to make sure that the remaining guyline stays taut. Not tensioned, but just so that it doesn't come loose at the hook.

Alternatively, you could fasten your figure 9 at your grommet or webbing loops on your tarp and run line from the tarp to the anchor and back to the figure 9. The downside of that method is that it will require you to carry more line. Gram weenies probably frown at that. Then again, they probably frown at figure 9s when you can just use a truckers hitch for the same thing.

A truckers hitch is a very easy knot to tie, and should be learned anyways. Figure 9s are just for convenience.

Truckers Hitch: http://www.animatedknots.com/trucker...matedknots.com

Hope this helps. Try experimenting with it. I'm sure there's probably better ways of doing it than I've even thought of.

Edit: I should clarify this is just what I did on the guylines (I now use truckers hitches for weight conservation and knot tying fun!). I do not use this technique for the ridgeline of the tarp. I'd describe it but I'm low on time. Good luck!

OH YEAH, if you opt to not use a prussik to attach your F9 to the guyline then I recommend leaving the bowline in the end and attaching your figure 9 to it for convenient storage - if you chose to remove your guylines at tear down.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    0/~ I use them for tarp lines and tie outs.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    fig nines on one end and a knot bone on the other. knot bone goes up first, tighten with the fig nine, and then center the tarp (with prussics). the two ends are color coded as I pull out the tarp.

easy as pie and about 60 seconds in the rain.

Col R

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I use one on each end of the ridgeline. Don't feel the need to carry the weight by using them on the stakeout cords. Will not do without having them on the ridgeline though.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    No pics that I can find. On the ridgeline I put the figure 9 on a prussik so it's easily adjustable. Much faster than an elephant trunk which I'm trying now. I was using them on the tie-outs but I've switched to modified trucker's hitch. I got tired of the figure 9's getting all the lines tangled when I stored it.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Just think of the Figure 9 as being the 'loop' part of a Truckers Hitch. The Figure 9 can be positioned along the ridgeline so that the free end of the ridgeline can be passed around a tree and back to the Figure 9. Then pulled tight and tied off as described above.

Edited for spelling errors.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Medecine Hat View Post
    Could some of you post some photos here of how you rig up your tarp with a figure-9? It would really help me understand how to do it.
    There are a number of tarp-use photos on my BGT Figure 9 test report. This review was written back when I only had a HH, but I still use them with my WBBB & Siltarp as well. Its a bit of a hassle when you encounter radically different hang distances and have to adjust them on the tieouts, but I still like using them after several years.

Hope this is of some help.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast