DB 68 Custom DL; WWM 64 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG 40*; UGQ 0*/20*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Could not agree more on the over cover. Got eight straight nights out in cool-to-cold weather, including the recent NE hang (35* low), and the oc really made a difference. Protection and privacy factor (and up-looking appearance) of a two-man tent but sooo much more comfortable.

Lack of bug screen would also save a small amount of pack space. Liking the idea for a winter solution.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The whole reason that I liked the DB (aside from size + comfort), was that it had both the netting and OC. To have a removable version, I think the zippers would have to be put in with male/female connector. You could have a couple of zippers with a biner & loop to hold the end in place.

Initally, I had ordered a custom DB with the idea of having an undercover build it to it. Randy couldn't figure out a workable solution. I was thinking along the lines of the overcover being in a sudo bishop bag, like is done on the top. The problem was how to attach the undercover around the outside of an UQ, without compressing it. The other thing was that I could get an undercover for about $35, so I didn' know if I'd be worth the extra cost...

Thanks for the review. It would seem that there's finally a challenger to the mighty BB!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by brucky View Post
    How does the dangerbird stack up when compared to the traveler. Seems like it would be more comparable
    I bought the roaming gnome to replace my traveler and Warbonnet bugnet. I couldn't be happier. I find the taffeta fabric much more comfortable and I like having the bugnet built in. I prefer to sleep without a bugnet, and you don't always know if/when you will need it. Deploying the roaming gnome bugnet is a cinch, and it can be quickly stowed if I decide I don't need it.

I did install Warbonnet's cinch buckles on the Gnome, because i find them quicker and easier to set up and take down.

Thank you Papa Smurf...

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    I did install Warbonnet's cinch buckles on the Gnome, because i find them quicker and easier to set up and take down.
    One of the best aspects in dream hammock are the buckles, much better than those 'hard to loosen' cumbersome aluminium triangles in BB, and better than those ascend rings in SB which need holding knot.

Only IMHO's though...

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    One of the best aspects in dream hammock are the buckles, much better than those 'hard to loosen' cumbersome aluminium triangles in BB, and better than those ascend rings in SB which need holding knot.

Only IMHO's though...
    Yeah, I don't know why I didn't request cinch buckles when I ordered. My Gnome came with whoopie slings. I'll have to check out the dangerbird buckles at some point.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    HF 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by raisins View Post
    Thanks for the review. It would seem that there's finally a challenger to the mighty BB!
    Well, I think that depends on how critical weight is for the backpacker. I'll say it again, the more comfortable the gear the heavier it is. The width of the DB is super comfortable.

IMHO, where a bugnet is needed, the BB has the best balance of comfort to weight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Well, I think that depends on how critical weight is for the backpacker. I'll say it again, the more comfortable the gear the heavier it is. The width of the DB is super comfortable.

IMHO, where a bugnet is needed, the BB has the best balance of comfort to weight.
    Actually, the length is the factor that gives it more comfort.

If you compare feature to feature, I think that the DB comes out ahead. You can also have some mods done by Randy. For example, you can lighten up the DB with the use of whoopies (instead of buckles), not having an overcover (which the WBBB lacks), and having Randy switch out materials. Even then, it will likely weigh slightly more, due to length and width. With the DB, you can lay diagonal to either side and it feels like it has a lot more interior volume.

The other major difference, IMHO, is that you can only see out of one side of a WBBB when you're laying in it, and even then it's not so great of a field of view...

Hammock
    Dangerbird 68" Dig. Camo.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I received a 68" dual layer Dangerbird in Digital Camo with whoopies and adjustable ridgeline from Randy recently (order #181). I asked Randy to use a material that was waterproof for the top cover. He used a nice green material that is exactly what I had in mind. My thought was that if the top cover is there why not make it as functional as possible. It's possible that I could have to use the top cover to shed moisture. You never know what situation you may find yourself in! The hammock weighs 28.8 ounces (1.8 lbs) bag and all. I haven't had a chance to sleep in the hammock yet but I have inspected it thoroughly and am very impressed with the quality of the hammock. My father has been an upholsterer for 40+ years so I know quality work when I see it.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Sounds Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ralexander9646 View Post
    I received a 68" dual layer Dangerbird in Digital Camo with whoopies and adjustable ridgeline from Randy recently (order #181). I asked Randy to use a material that was waterproof for the top cover. He used a nice green material that is exactly what I had in mind. My thought was that if the top cover is there why not make it as functional as possible. It's possible that I could have to use the top cover to shed moisture. You never know what situation you may find yourself in! The hammock weighs 28.8 ounces (1.8 lbs) bag and all. I haven't had a chance to sleep in the hammock yet but I have inspected it thoroughly and am very impressed with the quality of the hammock. My father has been an upholsterer for 40+ years so I know quality work when I see it.
    I am thinking about that exact model. I live in Asheville, NC, but stayed at my in-laws in South Knoxville last night. I am about 20 miles from Maryville right now. Sent you a PM. I would love to check out yor hammock before I order. Let me know if that is possible. I get over the mountain about once/week for work. My in-laws have 60 acres with 700' of riverfront on the French Broad. Hammock Nirvana!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast