Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,358

    Where to go near Denver and what to expect?

    I'm heading to Aurora next weekend and plan to do a few days somewhere in the area. I've been leaning towards something in the Mt Evans Wilderness for fishing or Glenwood Springs because I'll be camping with a group in that area anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere good to go where I can do some fishing and stay away from heavily dayhiked areas? Are there any good backpacking/fishing spots in the Glenwood Springs area? I've never been at high altitudes so I don't wanna do anything too high. And I obviously need to stay below the treeline. I either wanna be able to hit multiple fishing spots along the way or hike into somewhere and setup camp at a good fishing spot and do some dayhiking.
    I'm also wondering what to expect since I've only hiked in the southeast. Will my stock 42" tree huggers work or should I bring 72" ones? The 42s have worked everywhere I've been here so far. I'm confident my JRB Hudson River and WM Versalite will keep me warm but what about weather protection? I olnly have the stock HH tarp, I know it storms daily in the afternoon but what about at night? That thing doesn't have much coverage and I'd sure hate for all that down to get wet.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BullFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Posts
    215
    Sorry, I can't comment on fishing, but I camped in the Mt. Evans wilderness a month ago, and it is unspeakably gorgeous. Highly recommended if you can find some fishing spots. I know there are a few streams and lakes in the area. You might want to call the ranger station too, they are very knowledgable and helpful.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    9,002
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
    Sorry, I can't comment on fishing, but I camped in the Mt. Evans wilderness a month ago, and it is unspeakably gorgeous. Highly recommended if you can find some fishing spots. I know there are a few streams and lakes in the area. You might want to call the ranger station too, they are very knowledgable and helpful.
    My bet is that all of those lakes and streams would have some trout, though maybe not all will have big trout. But, yep, checking in with a nearby ranger station can be really helpful.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  4. #4
    Senior Member SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,358
    I know Mt Evans has lots of lakes and many of em are stocked. It's just figuring out which ones aren't dayhiker destinations. I definitely wanna be away from the crowds.
    Is there anywhere in the Glenwood Springs area that would be good?

  5. #5
    New Member EdD270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    White Mountains of Arizona
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BushcraftUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    blue foam pad
    Suspension
    factory ropes
    Posts
    44
    You say you'll be camping with a group in the Glenwood Springs area? There are several streams and lakes around there, notably the Colorado River that runs through town. From Glenwood springs go either North or South into the White River NF, lots of lakes and streams. South toward Redstone and Marble would be my preference. Ground right around GS is pretty steep and rugged, but once you get away from town and on top of the mesa it's not bad. Be sure to pick up a map of the NF at the Ranger station in GS.
    BTW, just to be safe, I'd take the 72" straps. You can always wrap them twice around smaller trees, but it's hard to make the shorter straps stretch.
    Mt Evans is very beautiful, you should drive up it and bag a 14'er while you're there. However, it's a very popular place and close to town so it gets lots of use by hikers and campers.
    You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.

  6. #6
    Senior Member SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
    You say you'll be camping with a group in the Glenwood Springs area? There are several streams and lakes around there, notably the Colorado River that runs through town. From Glenwood springs go either North or South into the White River NF, lots of lakes and streams. South toward Redstone and Marble would be my preference. Ground right around GS is pretty steep and rugged, but once you get away from town and on top of the mesa it's not bad. Be sure to pick up a map of the NF at the Ranger station in GS.
    BTW, just to be safe, I'd take the 72" straps. You can always wrap them twice around smaller trees, but it's hard to make the shorter straps stretch.
    Mt Evans is very beautiful, you should drive up it and bag a 14'er while you're there. However, it's a very popular place and close to town so it gets lots of use by hikers and campers.
    Are any of those lakes and streams backpacking destinations or just a place to go fishing? What about South makes it your preference? Don't think I'll be bagging any 14ers. I've only been in Southern Appalachians, don't have any experience in that kinda terrain or altitude. Plus my brother is coming with me and he doesn't backpack. Are there any crowd free areas of Mt Evans?
    I'll go ahead and bring the 72's. I was hoping I wouldn't need em, I'm very weight conscious. Around here I've never had trouble finding trees for the short ones, but I didn't know if the trees out there were typically bigger.

  7. #7
    New Member EdD270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    White Mountains of Arizona
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BushcraftUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    blue foam pad
    Suspension
    factory ropes
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Are any of those lakes and streams backpacking destinations or just a place to go fishing? What about South makes it your preference? Don't think I'll be bagging any 14ers. I've only been in Southern Appalachians, don't have any experience in that kinda terrain or altitude. Plus my brother is coming with me and he doesn't backpack. Are there any crowd free areas of Mt Evans?
    I'll go ahead and bring the 72's. I was hoping I wouldn't need em, I'm very weight conscious. Around here I've never had trouble finding trees for the short ones, but I didn't know if the trees out there were typically bigger.
    Mt Evans is a drive to the top 14'er, no problem with altitude as you can drive up, take a picture and drive back down before problems develop. The parking lot is only about 50 ft. below the summit, with an easy trail up. You should do it since you'll be here anyway, it'd be a shame to miss the opportunity. You'll probably also see mountain sheep and/or goats, as well as pika and other alpine critters. The scenery is awesome with Long's Peak and other 14'ers visible. Take some pictures and you'll be the envy of your buddies.
    This time of year anything with water is a camping destination. "Crowd" is a relative term, but the area is popular and as I said very close to the city so lots of people go there, especially on the weekends and holidays. Whether any particular place is crowded at a given time is a roll of the dice.
    I prefer the area South of Glenwood Springs due to the differences in elevation, topography, and streams and lakes. I think it's prettier, and it's more forgiving to hike around in once you get on top. My personal opinion, based on many seasons of family camping and elk and deer hunting there when we lived in CO. Since your friends seem to be familiar with the area, see what they think and go from there.
    You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.

  8. #8
    Senior Member SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
    Mt Evans is a drive to the top 14'er, no problem with altitude as you can drive up, take a picture and drive back down before problems develop. The parking lot is only about 50 ft. below the summit, with an easy trail up. You should do it since you'll be here anyway, it'd be a shame to miss the opportunity. You'll probably also see mountain sheep and/or goats, as well as pika and other alpine critters. The scenery is awesome with Long's Peak and other 14'ers visible. Take some pictures and you'll be the envy of your buddies.
    This time of year anything with water is a camping destination. "Crowd" is a relative term, but the area is popular and as I said very close to the city so lots of people go there, especially on the weekends and holidays. Whether any particular place is crowded at a given time is a roll of the dice.
    I prefer the area South of Glenwood Springs due to the differences in elevation, topography, and streams and lakes. I think it's prettier, and it's more forgiving to hike around in once you get on top. My personal opinion, based on many seasons of family camping and elk and deer hunting there when we lived in CO. Since your friends seem to be familiar with the area, see what they think and go from there.
    In that case I'll definitely have to take a drive up Mt Evans so I can show all my fellow hill dwellers what real mountains look like haha. When I said camping destination I meant somewhere you have to backpack to, not drive a car up and setup camp. I want wilderness not family barbeques. I'll look into the area south of GS. Unfortunately none of the people I'll be with backpack, they're more of the drive a car into the woods, build a fire and get trashed type.

Similar Threads

  1. what to expect from pillows and such from Ebay?
    By miyanc in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 18:47
  2. What to expect with a Traveler...
    By Buffalo Skipper in forum Warbonnet Hammocks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 21:50
  3. My first hang - What to expect?
    By lgremi8 in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 23:18
  4. What to expect from a Top Quilt
    By Buffalo Skipper in forum Top Insulation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 19:21
  5. What Can I Expect??
    By BEAS in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 17:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •