Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New in FL

New in FL

Hi from Orlando. Been "lurking" for a while.

I recently picked up a lightly used HH Expedition with the "supershelter" kit. I guess I hadn't done enough "lurking". Friday night I slept out in the hammock for the first time, and when I got up, I had literally hundreds of mosquito bites anywhere bare skin had contacted the hammock. Luckily, I was at least wearing shorts.

Thanks to this forum, I have some permethrin spray on the way, although given my current state of discomfort, I am understandably a bit hesitant to "test" it. I decided to try hammock camping as tent camping in the summer here is tortuous for me. Happy to say I was reasonably comfortable hanging in the back yard, given the heat and humidity. Unfortunately, in the places I plan to camp, mosquitos are going to be a big problem.

This leads me to ask y'all for some ideas. I need to get a second hammock for my son, who like to motorcycle camp with me. I was looking at the HH Scout, but if I am going to buy another hammock, I am thinking I should get something I can use as well. Assuming the permethrin does the trick, I may pass the HH Exped over to him, as I plan to do a bit of solo camping later this summer. What would be a good choice for another hammock? I see that the Clark's are supposedly made from mosquito proof fabric, and the WBBB is a popular hammock as well. What is going to give me the most comfort on a hot, humid Florida night? Not too concerened about the cooler weather in a hammock...yet.

Thanks for reading my long winded intro!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada! Wish I could help with the cooler question. I can say that my lighter materialed hammocks tend to be the ones that come out with me whenever I was hanger in much warmer temps (1.0/1.1). I also tend to use double layer hammocks which protect me further from mosquito bites.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida. To help guide you toward a hammock we would need to know your height & weight and also whether you backpack or get to you camping site by vehicle (car, bike or kayak).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Welcome .. Love the name .. I had a truck named Mud **** .. permethrin will do the trick .. look up Fronkey bug net here as well..or one from WL that encloses the hammock ..treat it with permethrin and our state bird won't even get near the hammock ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Ocoee.
    Looking forward to meeting at one of the Florida Hangs.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome from Jax.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Greetings from MS!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I was kind of in the same boat with regards of what to get. A hammock that's too small will be miserable but I don't really think it can be too big. If you'll notice on the HH website the weight between the Scout and some of the larger hammocks really isn't that significant (in fact he scout is heavier that a lot of full sized hammocks). This is why I just got my 7yr old an expedition. He's got tons of room and I can always use it for a loaner or to entice a new hanger (already scored one partial convert).

I treated my expedition UL about a year ago and so far no bites through the thin fabric with the bugs in central FL. I forgot to treat my son's expedition the first night out and he got a ton of bites on his face and arm. So, the stuff works!!

I don't think you can go wrong with most any of the hammocks on the market. I've had my HH for about 7 years now but I've laid in my buddy's Warbonnet Blackbird and it didn't seem like an apples and oranges kind of difference to me. Keep an eye on the forum here. We're all a bunch of gear nerds and it seems someone is always swapping out some gear for the next new toy. That's where my son's setup came from, already converted to whoopies for just over half what a new one would cost.

Take your time and do plenty of reading on here and of course watch Shug's videos. Don't get in too big of a hurry to go out and buy a bunch of insulation. A blue walmart pad and an old sleeping bag will work just fine for the moment. You've already got the supershelter so you're pretty much set. Here in FL you won't even need that to prevent a cold butt in most cases. That's another case for getting a bigger hammock. I don't think the supershelter will fit on a Scout (at least they don't list it).

There are enough hangers around that if you want to try out a piece of gear or need someone to help check out your setup you won't have a problem. Welcome to the forums.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Lakeland.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast