Seems Like there's 2 Classes of Hammocks

In my short time lurking on this site it seems like there are two classes or types of hammocks here.

The true camping hammocks like the War Bonnet, Clark, Claytor, Danger Bird, Henessy etc...and the modifications that the gram counters make.....AND

The DI-your-selfer's (aka light useage) such as the whipped ended table cloth hammocks, the Target/Wal-Mart finds, the Grand truck, and Moon hammocks. Different tools for different uses - for sure. I was looking at the king size Moon Hammock (because its over 5-fet wide and I really need to sleep on my sides) but it lacks a double layer and probably wouldn't be much good in the spring/autumn seasons of the high country.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    My friend you woefully underestimate the DIY crowd.

This is a good buddys DIY Blackbird tribute:
    http://www.farflunggallery.net/main.php?g2_itemId=5739

I would agree that there are two major camping hammock types:

Bridge
    - DIY
    - JacksRBetter
    - Warbonnet Bridge (Due this month)

Gathered End
    - DIY (with and without bug net)
    - basic parachute style (GT, TTTM, Eno, Kammock)
    - Various vendors (with bug net) Hennessy, TTTG
    - with a footbox (DIY or warbonnet)
    - with a "knotty" (side stretch) mod.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Well, you're right. There are camping hammockers and backyard hammockers. Camping hammockers can be backpacking hammockers and/or car camping hammockers.

But the DIYers span all areas. In fact, most backpackers are DIYers to some extent because the comfort-to-weight balance comprises a lot of personal, highly subjective choices.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Shoot, half of Shug's videos show him using his DIY Spear hammock AND a Franken quilt.

You only need bug net when they's bugs out there. My last hang, in June, I used my DIY hammock. Time I went to bed the bugs had packed it in an hour or so earlier. Lightweights!

But I do like jumping into my WBBB and zippin those pesky fellows out. But my WBBB is a little tighter then my DIY especially my new DIY Tablecloth. Not that it really matters. I'm snug as a bug in all of them and sleeping away.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Well, you're right. There are camping hammockers and backyard hammockers. Camping hammockers can be backpacking hammockers and/or car camping hammockers.
    And those pesky paddling campers, somewhere in between car camping and backpacking, probably closer to pack animal campers.....

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    don't forget the bike hangers either,,
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post

You only need bug net when they's bugs out there.

A bug net is also useful when there are no bugs as well. First, with a tarp pitched to view the sky (windward side only for quick deployment in case of sudden rain), the bug net stops most items falling from trees (leaves, pincecones, sap, squirrels) from hitting your face. Second, it traps heat. A considerable amount actually. This allows one to extend the range of their top quilts. My experience, ymmv, the weight savings from no bug net are offset by needed a quilt with more insulation.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Like dant8ro, I class hammocks based on their overall style: Bridge, Gathered-end, Spreader Bar.

Accessories like tarps, bug nets, insulation, pockets, etc. add value and options to a hammock, but I wouldn't use them as the first type of classification.

The basic hammock style -- the ubiquitous "gathered end" -- has been around for thousands of years. It's simplicity and utility are difficult to beat. When I purchased an authentic mayan hammock, its comfort was unbelievable. No foot box required. No mods needed to improve the comfort. The difference with the mayan hammock is the material and size. The problem is that most "camping" hammocks today are made from an entirely different type of material and size so we have to add modifications (e.g., foot boxes, whipped end mods, rail riders, etc.) to "improve" the comfort.

It's a trade-off because I can't/won't bring my mayan hammock backpacking. It's 4 lbs and very bulky. Plus, it's HUGE and I'd need a HUGE tarp to cover it.

Hammocks used backpacking, in my opinion, are compromises of the original design. Necessary and good compromises, but compromises nonetheless. If you've ever tried a mayan, like I have, I think you'd probably agree. Nylon and polyester have advantages for outdoor use, but we're also making hammocks smaller and therefor we limit the diagonal lay. And while nylon does stretch, it's not as forgiving as the mayan weave, so adding a foot box simulates what the mayan hammock does naturally.

I keep thinking of sewing up a hammock using a patchwork of fabrics like nylon and spandex or something really flexible for the foot end.

But back to the OP -- all the accessories, as I mentioned, are really site/location specific. In my neck of the woods, bug nets are rarely needed, as are tarps. In my opinion, those accessories add value, versatility, and function to the hammock, but I don't think they change the fundamental design of the hammock.

• + New Posts