Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Just a word of warning: that bureaucrat may well have the power to arrest you or evict you from the park. That'll ruin a trip a lot more than going to ground.
    Freedom is not free. He who bows to the bureaucrat who writes his own rules is not free, but merely a slave.

That being said, I retract my recommendation. I looked up "rope." Per Merriam-Webster the definition is:

"a large stout cord of strands of fibers...twisted or braided together; a long slender strip of material used as a rope...."

Thus, seems to me that a strap can be legitimately regarded as a rope, even though everyone here understands the difference.

Freedom must be constantly earned, but one needs to pick one's fights carefully. I should have looked up the definition before offering my initial opinion.

FarStar
    Last edited by FarStar; 09-19-2008 at 03:15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    OK, one more at Indiana's expense: Do you guys have to reserve the state's two trees to avoid hanging between stalks of corn?

Thanks. I'm here all week. Try the veal. [crickets chirping; audience member throws beer bottle]
    Naaa, we just shove two rusted pieces of scrap iron (recycled from all those empty steel mill scrap yards in PA) in the ground and hang from those.
    Now shade, that's a different issue. (corn has limited shading properties)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Walmart Blue
    Insulation
    Thermarest Prolite
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    I was planning on using my hammock at an Indiana State Park (Chain of Lakes). The park map has the following statement:

NOTICE: attaching ropes, wires, or chains to trees, by any method is prohibited.

I assume this prohibits my hammock. I also assume that the odds are very low that they would actually confront me on the violation.

Here's my plan: bring my hammock and plan on using it. Bring a tent in case they make an issue.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
    No sir, it does not seem reasonable.

Nobody else on here sees a problem with just going and hanging thier hammock when it is specifically prohibited i.e (attaching ropes wire and chains to trees by any means is prohibited). Sure YOU might get away with it or have a ranger that understands but if it keeps happening in prohibited areas people who hammock will be labeled as "rule breakers" and lead to more widespread regulations within parks. I would either pick another park, take a tent or ask park officals if it is OK to hang the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Versailles State Park (in the south east corner of the state) has never given me or the few friends of mine that hang hammocks problems. Never had a problem in several years that I've been hanging there. In fact I've strung a rope light up between two trees and lit up a couple of adjoining camp sites and never heard a word. It appears that the Rangers are looking for the rowdy and disrespectful group people that are tying ropes up between trees to dry wet clothes, hang trash bags, lanterns and the oversized tarps that are covering the keg.
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    This past September I hung in Charlestown State Park along with several friends and the park personnel never said a word. A year ago I was at the frank O'Bannon state park and I asked the gate attendant what the policy was on hammocks. Her reply " no one has ever asked that". I used my hammock and the ranger gave it a long look the next morning but he never said anything to me. Seems like the Indiana state parks would have one policy for all the parks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by act View Post
    Seems like the Indiana state parks would have one policy for all the parks.
    This thread is from 2008. A lot can change in 6 years.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123