Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch

WBRR or BMBH- why?

These seem to be two top notch bridge hammocks and thinking of grabbing one to compare to my gathered end- then I always have an extra for friends/son... To use.
    Thoughts/differences/quality? If you were getting one which would you buy and why?
    Whatever I get I will buy an UQ/tarp/TQ... The whole thing so please recommend those as well.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have the BMBH UL and find I get a bit of shoulder squeeze, and since I have a bad shoulder, it can get uncomfortable. I don't get it in the Ridgerunner. I also love the spindrift cover for the Ridgerunner in the colder months. UQ's snug up great to either one.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    If you go with the wbrr I would recommend the UGQ Ambush under quilt. Fantastic piece of gear.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wife has a BMBH. I get shoulder squeeze in it but still sleep great in it. Quality is perfect.

Never laid in WBRR.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I bought the RR because it was sized to fit up to 6'6". I am 6'5". the BMBH is recommended for up to 6'1".
    I don't have any experience with the BMBH but it looks like any rectangular UQ would probably fit OK. With the RR, a rectangular UQ extends up past the cat cut sides a little which may interfere with the saddle bags. So, an UQ made just for the RR works best. My UGQ AMBUSH will arrive in 3 days - I will know more then.
    Which reminds me - those saddle bags are great feature in the RR.
    Any tarp that you can install a pole mod, to clear the spreader bars, should work. I use a pole mod on a Superfly - but really, a pole mod is not absolutely necessary if the tarp is pitched with enough clearance.
    I would like to try a BMBH sometime - but have no desire to ever lay in a gathered end again.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    I've had both. Liked both.

I normally sleep on my side. I feel like that was easier to do in the BMBH. I used a Jarbidge UQ on my BMBH and it worked great.

I have a WBRR now. I like that the bugnet is pulled away from your face. But I feel like I have to sleep on my back in the RR. I've gotten comfortable doing that.

I kinda wish I still had the BMBH but the WBRR is my favorite hammock I've ever had. Won't get rid of it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler88 View Post
    I've had both. Liked both.

I normally sleep on my side. I feel like that was easier to do in the BMBH. I used a Jarbidge UQ on my BMBH and it worked great.

I have a WBRR now. I like that the bugnet is pulled away from your face. But I feel like I have to sleep on my back in the RR. I've gotten comfortable doing that.

I kinda wish I still had the BMBH but the WBRR is my favorite hammock I've ever had. Won't get rid of it.
    Good points about the pros and cons of each! I have both also. Unlike many, I have not totally abandoned the BMBHs in favor of the WBRR, I just see that each has pros and cons. I may change my mind someday with more experience, but recently I have not had near the time for testing as I used to, hope that will change soon.

I have not yet found the time to really put the WBRR to the test compared to my 2 BMBHs. This is mainly due to the MUCH greater length of the RR's suspension, which makes it unusable on the hammock stand that I have been using for many years. And just like I have not had as much time for hanging, I have not yet got around to buying the materials and spending the time to build a stand for the RR. So if hanging at home, I do NOT ever hang with the RR due to stand problems.

When I take the RR to the woods, it is very comfy but the length again works against it FOR ME. Often times nearby trees that work great with the BMBHs or any of my non-bridge hammocks are not usable with the RR. So I have to hunt harder for usable trees. Of course I can always find some, but it is a bit of extra hassle. So a pro for the BMBH for me is shorter suspension. Like 2+ feet shorter.

I am 6'1", 205-220 lbs, up and down. The WBRR has way more shoulder room than the BMBHs. No comparison. So that is a pro for the WBRR.

But this is accomplished with very wide spreader bars. The RR's spreader bars are maybe 8 or 10" wider than the BMBHs. I already found it a hassle dealing with the spreader bars contacting tarps- with a possible puncture, with the BMBH. This required larger tarps than my non-bridge hammocks, and/or side pull outs to keep the tarps from slamming into the bars during high winds. Some folks here have had tarp punctures from this. So I would say both the WBRR's longer suspension and way wider spreader bars only make all issues with tarps even more troublesome. It can be compensated for, but just be aware of this problem with all bridges and for sure with the RR.

I personally- though I am broad shouldered- don't suffer lack of comfort in the shoulders with the BMBHs. Don't get me wrong- I can definitely tell there is a lack of shoulder room, and my shoulders are forced into the U-shape of the hammock when on my back. But if I just relax and cross my arms- how I often sleep anyway- I find that overall comfort is way high and I can sleep good. But I often turn on my side anyway and even slightly on my side there is plenty of shoulder room.

Keep in mind there are 2 BMBHs. I find the UL model has more shoulder room than the original or Deluxe, which is deeper and has a wonderful pad pocket. But with either- and more so with the deeper Deluxe- the deeper sides provide a nice support for my back so I can lean back into the sides of the hammock when on my side. The deep and narrow aspect- though it does not have as good a view out as the RR- also seems to act like a funnel, causing my TQs to drape down on me more than usual. I seem to have less trouble with drafts at least compared with my non-bridge hammocks. IOW, there is not as much room out to the sides for the side of the quilt to spread out to or maybe lift up an edge. Seems that way to me, anyway. I don't yet know if it would work as well with the RR as it def does in the BMBHs, especially the deeper (EDIT: original/Deluxe) BMBH.

So those are some pros and cons for you. The shoulder room thing may not be related to user size. Even my wife, 80-100 lbs lighter than me, felt the shoulder restriction. Because there is a curve and your shoulders are forced into that curve when on your back. I hated that at 1st- I even returned my 1st one- but loved everything else about the hammock. So after giving it a good enough 2nd trial, I realized my shoulders were not really uncomfortable even on my back, and every thing else was maybe the most comfortable of all my hammocks. So I have stuck with them.

So, Signguy, I think you will find the WBRR does have a lot more shoulder room. But for me personally it is not all that much- if any- more comfy for sleeping, though I may change my mind with more use. Still, it needs to be a good bit more comfy to make up- for me- for the added bar and suspension size. Thus, I have not yet dumped my JRBs. Good luck on your choice!
    Bill

EDIT: I forgot: if you are that rare person who wants to use a pad in your hammock, bridge hammocks are easily the best. And when I put a Neoair pad(25" wide?) in my old BMBH, all shoulder issues are gone. If memory serves, my shoulders do not even touch the sides. Also, a good sized pillow really helps in my original BMBH, or any of them when on my side.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-18-2014 at 13:52.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Awesome info- thank you!
    I am leaning towards the WBRR just because I am a big shoulder guy-
    I love the fact you can buy an entire package UQ/TQ/hammock/tarp from JRB and the JRB TQ I already have is excellent.
    I will probably let the Christmas rush die down and grab a whole package from WB-

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    I have a BMBH. I use a air pad in the sleeve. This completely eliminates any shoulder issues for me. The shape transforms from a U shape to a |_| shape.

I have a Hudson River quilt and an Old Rag Mountain quilt. They can be TQs or UQs. One of the strengths of the BMBH that does not get enough attention is how easily a rectangular quilt can be suspended as an under quilt.

So
    High Summer - HR TQ with pad in sleeve
    Spring / early Autumn - HR UQ, pad in sleeve, ORM TQ
    Late Autumn in New England - pad in sleeve, HR and ORM UQ, three season bag
    Winter - pad in sleeve, HR and ORM UQ, -20 bag, winter config of my JRB 10x12 tarp

I can totally see how the asymmetrical design of the WBRR has advantages if you didn't use a pad.
    Love my JRB BMB

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    To partial quote Cali, I have the BMBH UL and find I get a bit of shoulder squeeze, and since I have a computer in one shoulder along with screws, wire and a ceramic plate in my left shoulder, and pins/wire in the right shoulder, the squeeze becomes uncomfortable.

I am probably going to purchase the Ridgerunner, and see if it works for me. Maybe I will just DIY, stay with short, the longer distance between trees with the bridge is a bit of a problem for me, where we Hang it is sometimes difficult to find trees 14 feet apart. I am 62 inches tall and shrinking. Maybe shorter is better for me. However, I want to try the RR...indecision.

After reading through the posts comparing JRB and WB, I think I am going with WB because it is less enclosing, I hope it will put less pressure on my shoulders. With the computer in my shoulder, pressure in that area is painful, I can feel the defibrillator hit on the ceramic plate and my clavical. In my BMBH UL I found if I put my foot pad under my shoulders, that helps with the squeeze and helps to keep my shoulder a bit warmer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast