Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strategy for ultralight top and under quilts

I have a couple quick questions.

I'm planning on doing the PCT next year and I'm starting my prep now so that I can have my gear tested and burned in by then.

I've upgraded to a hammock... the Hennessey ultralight hammock but will probably switch to the Blackbird.

I want to get a under quilt and top quilt instead of using my current sleeping pad and sleeping bag.

1. I think I can actually shave weight by doing this since the down under my body is wasted since it's compressed.

2. My current bag is rated for 0 degrees and I should be using a bag rated for about 30 degrees since in the summer it rarely gets below freezing in the Sierras...

3. For nights where it IS colder than freezing I'm going to be using the boiling water bottle trick where you boil water BEFORE you sleep and then throw them in your bag wrapped in a sock.

... I'm going to be packing in a WOOD stove instead of an alcohol stove. I did the math and if I have cooked breakfast and dinner then after 2 days the wood stove saves weight... significant weight.

Further, I can create as much tea as I want and I can also create as many warm bottles as I want.

I guess what I need is a top and under quilt which are BOTH rated for 30 degrees.

Is this correct?

Does this seem like a good strategy?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I don't know much specifically about the area, but ensure you've been in an area similar to where you're going in similar temperatures with all your gear.

My one suggestion on the woodstove, make sure you are extremely proficient with it. Make sure you've test boiled water with it in the rain, wind, etc. Make sure you can start a fire with wet wood...soaking wet wood.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress of finding Gear Nirvana

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It sounds like you've put some thought into this, and I agree it's a good plan, but I'm not sure how much weight you'll save. How much of your research is based on personal testing and how much on reading? Both are good, but before you hit the PCT you need personal experience with everything you mentioned - 30 degree temperatures, hot water bottle in the hammock, and cooking with wood - not just insulating layers for your sleep system. I'd say you're off to a good start, planning early and collecting information. Let us know how your testing goes.

(Tendertoe types - or thinks - faster than I do.)

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sounds like you are really thinking this through. I was wondering about a hammock on the PCT and haven't found a great deal of info. I had believed that there were a few areas where lack of trees would be a concern (desert and parts of the High Sierras). Have you found anything similar in your research?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Sounds like you are really thinking this through. I was wondering about a hammock on the PCT and haven't found a great deal of info. I had believed that there were a few areas where lack of trees would be a concern (desert and parts of the High Sierras). Have you found anything similar in your research?
    I was thinking the same thing as well. If this is true, you could use the hammock as a bivy but now you would need a sleeping pad for use on the ground in addition to/instead of a UQ (either packing a pad AND a UQ or packing just a pad).

All things to consider.

+1 on all things WV mentions.

An ounce of experience is worth a pound of research (at least when it comes to outdoor gear).

Can you hang in Cali? Not sure if there is any spots to do that in the desert??? Then once you get north of Cali there could be some pretty big trees so I would venture to say I would take a look at the size of extenders you would need (or size of straps)?

Wood stove- Can absolutely be done with proper planning! Nimblewill Nomad and many others have done it. I think though I would carry an esbit stove and a couple tabs as a back up if you experience nasty ongoing weather.

I agree with WV test, test, test to make sure you have your stuff down so when the nasty weather (nasty times) hit it's not such a steep learning curve.

As far as temps go, I have no idea, I would check on some of the other Hiking site's like BPL and WhiteBlaze and other blogs for info on temps then plan accordingly.

Will you be carrying a pad? Like part of your packs frame or something? I carry a torso length pad with me everytime I go out, it functions as my packs frame, sit pad for rest stops, foot pad in the hammock (in quilts footbox) when needed, also as extra butt/torso insulation if it gets colder than expected.

Just my thoughts, feel free to ignore...
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Yeah. It's about 50/50 ... I've done the water bottle trick (without sock insulation) once before. Kind of just invented it on my own. Just didn't use boiling water.

I'e tested about 50% of this setup... I can't test the rest without purchasing and field testing it obviously.

Which is why I posted here for feedback

And I agree 100% that I should have a full test of everything and all my gear upgrades before I go...

I'm squeezing a lot of 3 day trips before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    It sounds like you've put some thought into this, and I agree it's a good plan, but I'm not sure how much weight you'll save. How much of your research is based on personal testing and how much on reading? Both are good, but before you hit the PCT you need personal experience with everything you mentioned - 30 degree temperatures, hot water bottle in the hammock, and cooking with wood - not just insulating layers for your sleep system. I'd say you're off to a good start, planning early and collecting information. Let us know how your testing goes.

(Tendertoe types - or thinks - faster than I do.)

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    +1 on the esbit or supplemental stove. I am an impatient coffee drinker. No way I could deal with a wood stove to start the water for my coffee.

I would suspect, after about day 3 of the torrential downpour (at least if I were there you would have it), you may appreciate the ease of just lighting the supplemental stove just to have a cup of hot tea or coffee.

Not all of Cali is the desert ... the Sierra Nevadas are literally solid forest.

For ongoing cold weather and rain I was just going to stay in my hammock and read and wait it out... I have plenty of food that I can eat without cooking.

It just means that I have to cook during the day sometimes once the rain is gone.

I haven't thought TOO much about using a torso pad. It might be a good idea though especially when I swap to a lighter pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Can you hang in Cali? Not sure if there is any spots to do that in the desert??? Then once you get north of Cali there could be some pretty big trees so I would venture to say I would take a look at the size of extenders you would need (or size of straps)?

Wood stove- Can absolutely be done with proper planning! Nimblewill Nomad and many others have done it. I think though I would carry an esbit stove and a couple tabs as a back up if you experience nasty ongoing weather.

I agree with WV test, test, test to make sure you have your stuff down so when the nasty weather (nasty times) hit it's not such a steep learning curve.

As far as temps go, I have no idea, I would check on some of the other Hiking site's like BPL and WhiteBlaze and other blogs for info on temps then plan accordingly.

Will you be carrying a pad? Like part of your packs frame or something? I carry a torso length pad with me everytime I go out, it functions as my packs frame, sit pad for rest stops, foot pad in the hammock (in quilts footbox) when needed, also as extra butt/torso insulation if it gets colder than expected.

Just my thoughts, feel free to ignore...

Honestly... my plan is matcha.

Ditching coffee.

1. 100% of the matcha is used... no spare grounds to discard and burn (or pack in).

2. I can make the matcha the night BEFORE and have it sit the whole night and ready in the AM before I even get out of bed.

3. It's super easy to make...

Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    +1 on the esbit or supplemental stove. I am an impatient coffee drinker. No way I could deal with a wood stove to start the water for my coffee.

I would suspect, after about day 3 of the torrential downpour (at least if I were there you would have it), you may appreciate the ease of just lighting the supplemental stove just to have a cup of hot tea or coffee.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast