DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images

Material Comparisons for Bug Nets

Hello forum,

I just got in some material to make a DIY bug net for my gathered end, 1.1 DL. I ordered from Mosquito Curtains their toughest netting, wide enough to cover my hammock end to end, and long enough to make a few extra nets. (123" by 13' was $78, and the package feels like it weighed about 5 pounds...) http://www.mosquitocurtains.com/home...o-netting.html

This stuff came in yesterday, and I tell you, it is tough enough to make a trampoline out of it, it should stop dive bombers! It cuts pretty easy with scissors, and I stitched a rolled hem with a zigzag stitch. It didn't seem necessary for durability, as the website claims you can't tear it from the raw edge...

It is definitely not lightweight, but the piece I am using should be packable and definitely durable. My intentions are for a bug net that goes end to end, over the ridgeline, and gathers underneath using shock cord, or other methods.

I apologize for no pictures, but when my kids get back from camp, I can get them to do the photos, as they are more technically inclined.

The other material I am using is this stuff that comes in a package, Cabin Creek Mosquito Netting, 48" by 72". (Sort of a polyester gossamer) Right now they are sold out, but I have two in hand and one more on the way to stitch together and see how it works. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=742705

This material is the total opposite of the mosquito curtain material, it is OD, which will better match my ACU ripstop hammock, very lightweight, and should be easy to sew. It is definitely more cheaper, as that is my purpose with going DIY I have some concerns about breathability, and the durability. If it ever touches the ground, or a tree, or velcro, (or gets hit by a dive bomber) I am afraid it might snag.

Do any others have experiences with using either of this material? I will try and post pictures and finished results later. By the way, the wife saw the mosquito curtains, and wants me to make a sun shade for the west side of the house with the leftovers!

Take it easy,

gmcpcs

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    You have my interest piqued with the underside shockcord, I'm trying to picture the design in my head. Keep us posted on how that works out, and designs if it does. I'd like to have one like that myself considering I am stationed in Guam and would like to ward off bugs with a cool bugnet like that.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    You have my interest piqued with the underside shockcord, I'm trying to picture the design in my head. Keep us posted on how that works out, and designs if it does. I'd like to have one like that myself considering I am stationed in Guam and would like to ward off bugs with a cool bugnet like that.
    Take a look at the stickies for the Fronkey Bug Net. He runs a channel along the bottom perimeter and runs shock cord through it to cinch the bugnet up to the bottom of the hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Netting materials vary greatly as you have discovered.

The most common one used by DIY folks weighs 1.0 oz/sy and is plenty tough for any backpacking trip and it's pretty cheap at less than $4 per yard.

There is a lighter netting sold by thru-hiker and by outdoor wilderness fabrics that weighs 0.7 oz/sy and is still durable enough for all but a scout troop.

Lighter still is tulle at 0.33 oz/sy. This stuff is fragile at best and suited only to ultralight hikers that are used to babying their gear. Also 90% of tulle sold isn't even that good - "fashion tulle" from JoAnn Fabrics is the only suitable one that I have found. Consider this material somewhat disposable.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on the fashion tulle. It is great stuff, but isn't great in no-see-um country. I use it for all my sewn-in bugnets.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    +1 on the fashion tulle. I needed it quickly, so I went to JoAnn Fabrics and made my Fronkey bug net in a couple of hours. So far I have had no durability issues. I have 7 nights using it with the last 5 over a patch of wild raspberries (prickers). The net got caught on them almost every night, but I knew they were there so I was gentle in handling. I have had no tearing so far. It was great to wake up to the whine of a mossie in my ear and turned my head to see him outside desperately trying to get in.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I really like this ... .7 oz/sq.yd .. http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

• + New Posts