Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I think there is a real "fad" issue with hammock buyers. Wanting the latest thing is a powerful influence.

Rain Man

Amen to fad chasing. The hottest hammock fad in my two years on the forum is the WBBB, hands down. It attracts the most newbies because of the outstanding buzz on the forum.

Other hammock makers have gotten the buzz lately - DreamHammock, the WL Snipe, and BIAS come to mind. With all the wonderful hammock choices among hammock vendors, the choices are mind-boggling. You can look at this as a plus or a minus, but I consider it a real plus.

I loved my HH Expedition Asym Zip from day one, but I also love discovering other hammocks, their strengths and weaknesses. What a great hobby we have here that there is so much to explore!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    If you go to a used car lot, you'll see lots of Fords and Chevys, but not near as many Volkswagons.

That's because there are more Fords and Chevys in the country than there are Volkswagons. It doesn't mean that Volkswagons are better cars, although you would have people argue on both sides of that opinion.

Same same with the Hennessy.
    That about sums it up in a nutshell.

My Explorer UL with a Potomac underneath is hard to beat for comfortable, fiddle free hanging.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I'm not saying anything other's haven't already said but when I wanted to try hammocks, I found the HH to be the optimal compromise between...

Price, Quality, and completeness. I liked that I didn't have to buy components. I could get one relatively inexpensive setup that was complete and had a good quality reputations. If I liked it, the HH would serve me well, if I didnt' I could sell it and recoupe most of my money.

I was seriously tempted with the BB but I think more will go with the HH. Since getting mine I did buy a warbonnet Edge tarp to have a bit more area under it for those rainy afternoons. I also upgraded to whoopie slings and use martin hitches on tree straps for ease of set up but the basic unit is a solid quality complete unit at a very reasonable price.

If I could get my sons interested I could buy myself that BB and let them use the HH. I find mine wonderfully comfortable and of the highest quality!

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I think the fiancee is wanting to start doing some overnight hangs with me and I am considering recommending the HH expedition to her because it is an all-in-one system at a reasonable cost. She doesn't want to put near as much money into it as I do so I feel like HH offers the best deal for hammock, bug net, and tarp. Also hard to beat the free snakeskin offer right now.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Get the free hex tarp upgrade, and ditch the ropes for whoopies ASAP.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Without Hennessy Hammocks I would have never found this site, I would most likely have given up on trying to put together a system of my own or piece together a complete system from Eno and decided a bivy isn't so bad.

I had decided on my own to camp in a hammock and when I started researching found Hennessy right away, it truly was an "easy button" moment. The design of his system just made sense and it also made me realize I wasn't the only one out there thinking hammock camping which brought me to this site.

That said I absolutely love my HH, it sleeps better than the $2,000 mattress in the house and blows away any tent I've ever slept in, and because it's easy and convenient to obtain I doubt I will ever switch to one of the cottage hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Thanks for the tarp tip. I make my own whoopies so I know that's a definite must.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I got mine tonight, took it for a short (20-minutes up-time*) test, installed the included snake skins and checked out the hex-fly (yep, very nice upgrade). So far I'm very happy but didn't like the way the ropes are done. I'll do my own tinkering there or, as others, just go whoopies.

I bought an Eno single nest with the idea of going one-link. The Hennssy is MUCH more comfy even in just a short random hang!

*-why only 20 minutes? It seems the tornado's last year decided that anything remotely resembling a usable tree next to my place was in the way and thus displaced them. That meant grabbing the kayak, tossing the new stuff in it and paddling out after I got off work at 8pm to a local camping spot. The neighbor was curious and joined me. He and his son have started looking into them ever since I mentioned I was ordering one. They also flopped in it for a few minutes and his first reaction was 'wow!'

The first pic is the Eno and the Kelty tarp (which has yet to come out of it's sheath since getting it Sat) and the nice white bag of nifty niceness that came from Hennessy today. A couple random shots including the smallest of the boats (14' is lightest and easiest to just toss and go), a couple 1st-time newbie shots, and the requisite flopped shot.

Hopefully I will have a chance to get some adjustments done (the ridgeline was way too tight for instance) before the dual-sport camping trip this coming weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    did not see an option for a free hex tarp upgrade.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I got mine tonight, took it for a short (20-minutes up-time*) test, installed the included snake skins and checked out the hex-fly (yep, very nice upgrade). So far I'm very happy but didn't like the way the ropes are done. I'll do my own tinkering there or, as others, just go whoopies.

I bought an Eno single nest with the idea of going one-link. The Hennssy is MUCH more comfy even in just a short random hang!

*-why only 20 minutes? It seems the tornado's last year decided that anything remotely resembling a usable tree next to my place was in the way and thus displaced them. That meant grabbing the kayak, tossing the new stuff in it and paddling out after I got off work at 8pm to a local camping spot. The neighbor was curious and joined me. He and his son have started looking into them ever since I mentioned I was ordering one. They also flopped in it for a few minutes and his first reaction was 'wow!'

The first pic is the Eno and the Kelty tarp (which has yet to come out of it's sheath since getting it Sat) and the nice white bag of nifty niceness that came from Hennessy today. A couple random shots including the smallest of the boats (14' is lightest and easiest to just toss and go), a couple 1st-time newbie shots, and the requisite flopped shot.

Hopefully I will have a chance to get some adjustments done (the ridgeline was way too tight for instance) before the dual-sport camping trip this coming weekend.
    I'd also be interested in seeing your Kelty tarp set up. I'm assuming it's heavy. Did you go 12' by 12'? I'm wondering if it would be good for setting up two hammocks under

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast