While we weigh the pros and cons of a gram weenie subsection, I thought I'd start a thread on how everyone saves weight for their kits. What special tricks do you do?
Here are some things I do:
- Use cord instead of webbing for hammock supports (still use tree huggers)
- Use insulated hammock to eliminate a full layer of DWR
- Use torso-only insulation for underquilt/insulated hammock, with a CCF pad for the feet insulation (since CCF under my torso is not comfortable to me, and I like carrying a sit pad now anyway)
- Use a hammock w/o bug net in winter
- Use zip-ties instead of tying a knot on Speer-types (whipping is about the same)
- Thinking of sewing loops onto the hammock to attach the underquilt to...would eliminate a lot of shock cord.
Of course, I've started adding things back into my pack to compensate for the weight I've saved...like ring buckles for the garda hitch, biners for the tree huggers, etc. But that means I get extra functionality for the same weight I was carrying before...fair trade for me.
So what do y'all do? Let's hear some ideas!