Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Dutch, if you have food supply lists you've used to hit your target written up, I'd be really interested to see them . If you add to that post that you shouldn't eat crackers in hammocks, then it would be on topic.
    I bet my food bag isn't going to give you any revelations of culinary treats. When I am at home I try to eat whole foods and non-processed foods. I also eat vegetarian twice a week. I throw that completely out the window when I hike. If the weather is cool enough I prefer not to cook my dinners. When I thru'd I kept walking into town with my dinners because I would push on rather then stop and hassle with cooking. I found myself taking more lunch food and preparing lunch for noon and dinner. By central VA I shipped my stove, olive oil, fuel, and pots home. The Lipton type meals I was eating wasn't giving me much nutritional benefit anyhow. I also think that society has trained us to have a hot meal in the evening. Breaking free of that allowed me to hike until night, then hang my hammock not worrying about camping at a shelter or near water. There are downsides also to packing fresh food. It is heavy leaving town until you eat your food bag down a little. Cheeses, salami, pepperoni, fresh fruit and veggies are not light and also have a stronger odor attracting bears. I always had to worry about spoilage and the thought that I had food poisoning was often on my mind when I had gas. Whew it was just air again . Although I never got as much as a cold when I thru'd. Having fresh foods also meant that I had to resupply more often and really craved restaurants. I rarely would hike more then 3 or 4 days without resupply. The rest of my food is what I call bar food. Food that is empty calories and can be simply unwrapped and eaten on the fly. Candy bars, granola bars, breakfast bars...ect.

Now I usually follow the same philosophy only my hiking trips are for the most part only 2-3 days so it is just like a "between the resupply" of a thu. On the first day I have real good fresh food that is pretty heavy and very tasty. Never cook the first evening, instead I pack in cheeseburgers. They will keep for about 24 hours in cool weather and I try to eat them within 8 (hold the mayo please). The next morning I try to have a good breakfast. Apple fritters are often on the menu, but I will often get nice big fresh muffin or two. It is a shame but I can only keep them fresh and unsmashed for a day or so. I have taken Gladware containers, but for the most part they take up too much space when my pack is the fullest. For lunch I like to have a salad or fresh veggies. This stuff is heavy and it is why I eat it first plus it doesn't keep well. Dinner I will have a bagel with cheese and salami or pepperoni on it. That is my base and then I will fill the gaps with "bar food" until I get about 2600 calories a day. The third day I will have a bagel with cream cheese (when I can find individually sealed non-refrigerated kind) or maybe peanut butter in the morning. And for dinner I again have yet another bagel with some processed meat and cheese again or maybe a pack of salmon. If there is a forth day, it will either be a short day or a resupply day. My usual bagels in the morning mixed with bar food until I can get to a pizza shop. It is a good thing I like bagels. Thomas’s bagels will keep the freshest and pack well.

Sometimes I do cook because the weather is too hot to keep meats and cheeses for more that a day. In which case I prefer to start with a Lipton type meal and add dehydrated veggies and a pack of tuna or salmon parmesan cheese. I also like to dehydrate spaghetti sauce into fruit rollup and rehydrate it with olive oil served over noodle with lots of dried garlic, dried mushrooms and parmesan cheese. If it is really cold I like a hot meal at night and will pack in frozen shrimp and scallops to have with a pasta for my first night. (This is making me hungry). Making my fellow hikers envious is one of my goals so I will make sure it smells good with lots of garlic.

I always try to keep a good supply of backpacking food on hand. I dehydrate veggies and spaghetti sauce and freeze it. I buy bar food in bulk along with freeze dried meals. Dgrav turned me onto inertial meals at trail days and I prefer them to Mountain house.

Like I said I am sure this menu doesn't come as any revelation.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-08-2008 at 15:05.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I kinda challange that an under q. is heavier than a pad, ....
    I use two Gossamer Gear 3/8" pads. One cut in half and arranged as a 'T' with the 3/4" padding/insulation under my torso. That gives me lots of insulation for my torso and 3/8" from my butt down to my heels, so my legs are fully protected. Also, my shoulders and arms are protected with 3/8" insulation in addition to the top quilt wrapped around. If I need more for my torso, I figured I could fold the length-wise pad in half and gain another 3/8" insulation and stuff clothes under my legs and feet - haven't had to do that.

Combined the 2 weigh 8.15 oz.

Gossamer Gear lists the pad weight as varying between 5.3 oz to 5.7 oz which works out to 7.95 oz to 8.55 oz. So mine are about in the middle - average I guess.

All temp ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt and can only be determined by the individual, but mine have proven adequate past freezing with merino wool long johns.

Also, the pads are impervious to water and take up no pack space.

The pads cost $30.00 sans shipping and handling. Think you can find a down uq for $30.00 ?

Now you said under a lb, how much under - say half a lb????

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    What special tricks do you do?
    i saved some weight over a standard bridge hammock, by making my own custom to fit style bridge. Its 6' long. about 42 tapering to 33 in the middle. Weight came out to 15.6oz. including the tree huggers with ring buckles and stuff sack.
    I also have a big tarp for it at 11x10' that is 19.5 oz. Too bad its not cuben!
    us UL'ers are accused of some pretty silly practices, I mean nobody really trims the handle off their toothbrush, which is a comment that I see popping up on a regular basis. Seems like an urban legend?
    The real way to save weight is reduce the big 4 -
    pack
    pads/uq's
    shelter
    bags/tq's
    I started out with a 6lb pack years ago, then went lighter, and lighter, until my 3 season (mostly summer, but not limited to) pack is 3.9oz but mostly use my golite jam modified to 16oz.
    1/2 uq and diy tq are a bit tricky but save weight. because of my smaller Bridge, I made a 2/3 quilt recently that uses my sitting pad/pack support (at 1.2oz) for under my ankles and feet. The 2/3 uq is 13.4oz and has 3" loft.
    as far as hammocking goes, i lost over a pound just by making my own stuff over my old commercial UQ and hammocks.
    in sunny skies with no threat of rain, not unusual here, my base pack weight is 3lbs and 6oz. I feel confident to use this gear, much of which doubles/triples for other uses, down to 40 degrees. All thanks to the DIY'ers and mucho great info of this here site. Thanks guys! (and gals )
    Last edited by te-wa; 09-09-2008 at 22:53.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    While we weigh the pros and cons of a gram weenie subsection, I thought I'd start a thread on how everyone saves weight for their kits. What special tricks do you do?

Here are some things I do:
    - Use cord instead of webbing for hammock supports (still use tree huggers)
    - Use insulated hammock to eliminate a full layer of DWR
    - Use torso-only insulation for underquilt/insulated hammock, with a CCF pad for the feet insulation (since CCF under my torso is not comfortable to me, and I like carrying a sit pad now anyway)
    - Use a hammock w/o bug net in winter
    - Use zip-ties instead of tying a knot on Speer-types (whipping is about the same)
    - Thinking of sewing loops onto the hammock to attach the underquilt to...would eliminate a lot of shock cord.

Of course, I've started adding things back into my pack to compensate for the weight I've saved...like ring buckles for the garda hitch, biners for the tree huggers, etc. But that means I get extra functionality for the same weight I was carrying before...fair trade for me.

So what do y'all do? Let's hear some ideas!
    my gram weenie set up rocks netless travel hammock less than a lb,my 9 x 9 silnylon tarp is 14 oz.my pad oz.my 15 oz summer quilt good for mid 30's
    my winter quilt 24 oz good for 0.i love my jrb summer quilt and old rag mountain quilt.and my preachers wife tabernacle tarp and cheap pad.neo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456