Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One Hammock for Dad and Son?

I'm a longtime camper, but have just started trying hammock camping (loving it, but still have a lot to learn). I've got an Eno Double hammock with bug nest, fly, etc.

I want to take my 8-year-old son camping and have been considering the possibility of using just this one double hammock, with each of us on either end. From my solo sleepouts, it's not clear to me whether this will work, or whether we'll spend the night getting annoyed at each other!

I'd like to hear whether others have successfully used a hammock to sleep two (adult and child). If you have, can you offer an insights into how to do it elegantly and comfortably?

Thanks! I've really been enjoying all the info on this forum--keep it up!

One more thing: I've been reading about putting in spreader bars. Would that help us both lie comfortably?

Andrew
    Last edited by ahess; 07-13-2012 at 09:13.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Haven't had the chance as of yet but when the time comes I will be hanging two separate hammocks either side by side or stacked aboce one another. Two people in one, tried it just lounging was too much over extended periods.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    it works. my daughter and her hubby napped in yard that way. but after hiking i would not want to be him with his nose at your foot end ps my hammock is 12'-60"
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If both of you want a good night's sleep, get him his own hammock. It is possible to hang two hammocks, side by side, from the same two trees. A spreader bar is required at each end of the hammocks to hold them apart. It makes life a bit more tricky and requires a huge tarp to cover both hammocks.

If he's an independent minded kid, I would hang the two hammocks from three trees, like a 'V' wedge, each with it's own tarp.

But the important thing is to spend time with your son, no matter how you do it!
    Last edited by MAD777; 07-13-2012 at 15:18.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    +1 on what Mad777 is telling you. Napping together in a hammock is one thing but trying to get a good nights sleep with 2 people in one hammock is going to really be trying on one of you or both. My hammock is 12' x 7.5 feet and I wouldn't want to do that all night, let alone in a Eno DN. Throw him together a "tablecloth" hammock and practice different set-ups using these separate set-ups.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've gone hammock camping with my young sons and daughter (ages 3, 6, 9, and 11). At one father/son outing all three ended up in my hammock before the night was over. Each had their own hammock, but between midnight bathroom breaks and getting cold, etc., they all ended up with me8.

ZERO SLEEP for me. I loved spending time with them, but I crashed when I got home.

This has happened several times to me when I bring my young kids. We have a great time, but I plan on losing a few hours of sleep taking care of them in the night. Over the years it has become much better. My kids really enjoy the hammocks and are better at sleeping in them. The major problems have been staying warm and Mother Nature.

STAYING WARM
    At first I thought quilt-style sleeping bags would be better, but the quilts easily fall off or get pushed off and then the kids get cold. I found that sleeping bags work better with my kids because they can't get wiggle out and then they sleep warmer and don't wake me up in the middle of the night.

Under quilts are also a HUGE blessing. When I started with pads, we all used them, but the kids roll off the pads easily, getting the them cold. When I first discovered under quilts, I couldn't afford them, so I made the Poncho Liner Under Quilts (PLUQ) and those have been splendid. Again, the kids stay warm and don't wake up as much.

BATHROOM BREAKS
    I haven't solved bathroom breaks yet, although I found that simplifying the bug netting makes a huge difference. I've had near accidents when I couldn't get out or couldn't get my kids out fast enough from the hammock. The simplified HUG/half bug net has been amazing for quick exit and recovery of the child. In the shoulder seasons if/when bugs aren't a problem, I never bring bug nets for my kids because it's that much easier.

I always hang close. Either stacked hammocks or side-by-side (the "V"). I've grouped as many as 4 hammocks without a problem under one large tarp. One advantage for me (and having boys) is that I can stay in my hammock, pull the kid out and point them in the right direction to pee. I can then throw them back in the hammock without having to get out myself. My daughter is another matter, but she's old enough now (11) to handle Mother Nature by herself.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My Son an I have done a few campouts. He is 10 and I got him his own.
    so far I've been able to set them up close together with both tarps in porch mode and zippers facing. had a few glow sticks in his the first night we were in the backyard and he was fine.

we did 2 nights car camping and ended up setting up the hammocks, he was tired the first night and went to his hammock (about 40 feet from the fire) and fell right asleep - I did have a head lamp as a night light until I went to my hammock a few hours later.

Last week we went on a serious hike - 14 KM in 3 days - he was fine in the hammock - he ended up chilling out in his and watching a movie on my iPhone before falling asleep. I stayed up and enjoyed the stars and fire for a few hours after that.

I say start him on his own setup - if you are close and they feel safe (use lots of glow sticks for night light the first few nights) all should be good - and kids sleep VERY well in a hammock --- at least my son does..I've had to wake him up so he doesn't sleep in too much.

this is how I had them set up last time we were out.....

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Here's how Detail Man & Tweaky do it with their kids.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPiQ-kO-D8&feature=plcp
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Love the mini hammock on the ridgeline for the stuffed bunny int he video

Agreed. I don't see my son's Hulk figure sleeping in a mini hammock, but my daughter would definitely love to sleep out with her puppy doll when the time comes.

Two questions: how long would you make the spreader bar, and what would be the lightest material for it? Also, do you have any info on the bungee bug net? (I love it!) I guess that's three questions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast