Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_ray_ray View Post
    I made a double layer of IX with 1.1 nylon for a summer's UQ and TQ ... they are light, and will do the job in the warmer days. Problem is that IX doesn't compress that well, and you wind up consuming a fair amount of space in your pack because of it. It's also a bit on the clammy side for an UQ, but it will keep the breeze off of you for sure.
    That's what I'm after, something light that works in warmer weather. I'm not too worried about compression, I have room in my pack. What I don't have room in my pack for is useless weight.

Is an outer shell necessary or can i get by with just the IX? If so how would I rig the suspension?

Has anyone used just one layer?

I'm guessing since no one's said anything contradictory that it is the lightest option?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I know that a two layer 3/4 length with suspension and all comes in at about 14 oz or so... And a 3 layer comes in 16-17 oz range... I haven't heard of anyone doing a single layer yet but give it a shot, you can always sew on another layer...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I know that a two layer 3/4 length with suspension and all comes in at about 14 oz or so... And a 3 layer comes in 16-17 oz range... I haven't heard of anyone doing a single layer yet but give it a shot, you can always sew on another layer...
    Really? Molly Mac 2 layer 3/4s are 8.5oz. I figure I can do a single layer full length with M50 for a shell, if any, and be a lil lighter than that. Then I can add inserts as temps dictate. That combined with my 7.5 oz Thermolite TQ conversion will give me a sub 1lb summer TQ/UQ combo. At least in the hottest parts of summer. And when I have to add an insert and switch to my Thermolite Extreme TQ conversion I should still be less than 1.5lbs. And that will hopefully get me down around 50*. I just really like being able to add and subtract from it so that I'm only carrying as much insulation as I need.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Post #40 here is where i got my info...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23881

I read through that whole thread and that's all the knowledge I have... No first hand as i haven't gotten enough info for me to personally do it yet... And money hasn't come open...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Was there a small gap between the layers or were they up against each other?
    Well, I certainly made an attempt to get a small gap between the 2 layers, as well as a small gap between the 1st layer and the water bottle. But after all, I was attempting to wrap a water bottle in one layer and then 2 layers of an IX UQ. So, who knows? All I can say for sure is I got about 16F dif on 2 dif tests using one layer, and for some reason I only got an extra degree or so with the 2 layers. So the result with 1 layer was encouraging, I am assuming I did something wrong with the 2 layer test. I can't see why 2 layers would not appx. double the insulation unless I did something wrong.

In a real word scenario, HF member TeeDee was plenty warm at 11F with a differential cut 3 layer IX/ with nylon shell UQ custom made for his bridge hammock. I always thought that was very impressive. Which would work out to 19.6F per layer of IX assuming starting comfort level at 70F. Counting whatever small effect the nylon shells might add.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-13-2012 at 21:40.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Post #40 here is where i got my info...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23881

I read through that whole thread and that's all the knowledge I have... No first hand as i haven't gotten enough info for me to personally do it yet... And money hasn't come open...
    That's the thread that got me interested in this material. His was with 3 layers and and an inner and outer shell.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, I certainly made an attempt to get a small gap between the 2 layers, as well as a small gap between the 1st layer and the water bottle. But after all, I was attempting to wrap a water bottle in one layer and then 2 layers of an IX UQ. So, who knows? All I can say for sure is I got about 16F dif on 2 dif tests using one layer, and for some reason I only got an extra degree or so with the 2 layers. So the result with 1 layer was encouraging, I am assuming I did something wrong with the 2 layer test. I can't see why 2 layers would not appx. double the insulation unless I did something wrong.

In a real word scenario, HF member TeeDee was plenty warm at 11F with a 3 layer IX/ with nylon shell UQ custom made for his bridge hammock. I always thought that was very impressive. Which would work out to 19.6F per layer of IX assuming starting comfort level at 70F. Counting whatever small effect the nylon shells might add.
    11* is extremely impressive! But like i said originally, I'm not worried about taking it low. That's why I spent the big bucks on a JRB. But if 3 layers can get down to or below freezing then I see no reason why one layer won't keep me comfy in the 60s and 70s. Especially if it has an outer shell that's windresistant. Although I'm still waiting to hear just how important an outer shell is, other than for wind protection, or if I can get away without it and save a couple ounces.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    That's the thread that got me interested in this material. His was with 3 layers and and an inner and outer shell.

11* is extremely impressive! But like i said originally, I'm not worried about taking it low. That's why I spent the big bucks on a JRB. But if 3 layers can get down to or below freezing then I see no reason why one layer won't keep me comfy in the 60s and 70s. Especially if it has an outer shell that's windresistant. Although I'm still waiting to hear just how important an outer shell is, other than for wind protection, or if I can get away without it and save a couple ounces.
    From my research (not first-hand experience), a shell isn't needed for wind-blocking. IX is pretty wind resistant all by its lonesome. That's actually the primary complaint that folks have with it: it doesn't breathe as well as other synthetic insulators (and nowhere near as well as down). Which causes issues with condensation (and then the transfer of heat through the condensed water's convection, which is much greater than air's).

The outer layer seems to be needed to avoid picking up every pine needle and piece of leaf debris within a ten-square-mile area centered on your campsite. The scrim backing is apparently somewhat delicate and catches small debris very handily. If you're willing to try and avoid letting the quilt touch anything out in the field, you could probably get away without using an outer layer. But...test it in your yard first to see if it's worth the hassle.

Again, this is from reading the various threads here in the stuff, not from personal use. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey, you may be on to something there with that way of interpreting the rating of minus 13F, which has always seemed preposterous. But I ran some tests one time. I am sure they were not very scientific tests, because there were so many things I could have done wrong and variables not accounted for. For some reason, my tests with 2 layers did not add much. But 2 different times, I put 2 water bottles side by side in the deep freeze starting with room temp water. One bottle was completely surrounded with either 1 layer or 2 layers of IX. I forget how long I left the bottles in the freezer. Maybe an hour or more, not sure. I was trying to leave them as long as possible without freezing them solid. Then I would take them out and measure the temp difference.

Two different times I measured ~ 16F difference with one layer. When I tried 2 layers, I did not find it to be much better, but I attribute that to I probably made some error doing the test. Someday, I will get the energy to repeat these tests.
    Huh. Interesting. Perhaps air intrusion into the space between the two layers caused the lack of differential? That'd be my first thought, but I've not played with the stuff...

Well, if you do get back around to messing about with the stuff, let us know! Thanks for sharing your test results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12