DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    In addition to the advice everyone else has given, you said you used 1/16" shock cord? It looks like 1/8" in the last photo, but I could be wrong on my ID there.

If you did use 1/16", that may be a little too narrow and not offer enough "pull" against the cord locks. I had issues with that with my first PLUQ attempt, and it definitely made a difference when I shifted over to 1/8".

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I had used 1/16 on the short ends to cinch up the ends, and 1/8 on the long ends / suspension. I took lofty and demostiX's advice and it worked beautifully.

I took out the 1/16 from the ends, replaced it with 3' of 1/8" shock cord the cut little "windows" and pulled the shockcord through, adding a second line of suspension. It fits pefectly. However, I've now lost the ability to slide the UQ higher or lower down my body because of the fixed 2nd suspension line.

This isn't an issue right now, as it's set in the perfect spot for me, on this hammock. But I would like to figure out a better solution for when I make a 3/4 length down filled UQ for this falls hunting season.

I'll post pics tonight if I get home before dark.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    I had used 1/16 on the short ends to cinch up the ends, and 1/8 on the long ends / suspension. I took lofty and demostiX's advice and it worked beautifully.

I took out the 1/16 from the ends, replaced it with 3' of 1/8" shock cord the cut little "windows" and pulled the shockcord through, adding a second line of suspension. It fits pefectly. However, I've now lost the ability to slide the UQ
    If you insist on that fore-aft adjust-ability, then the ridge-line is what you want to use to support the middle, per Shug (here or numerous times elsewhere.)

Then, there's the possibility I have written up elsewhere: A line that runs from one end of the UQ out to one hammock end, where it pivots, then back across the length of the hammock to the other end, where it pivots again, then attached to the other end of the UQ. Together with Shug's up-over-the-ridge-line somewhere in the middle, you will have an UQ which slides fore and aft, with tensions auto-adjusting. The total length of line + UQ is constant.

Gives me a fever with the temp outside of 95 just to describe it.

More helpful: You'll get a little more warmth with a non-differential -cut UQ if you are sure to be hanging it from the top side, letting it loft more. That may mean moving the attachment points as little as 1/4" to top-side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12