Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    20deg Zepplin
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

insulation for Clarks

Hi there, I have been using my CJH all summer and sleep fine. This fall,however, I would like to continue to use when the weather gets cooler. I have read several complaints about Clarks Z-liners system from the forums. Because of that I have looked into quilts, as this seems to be the choice of most posts. I am looking at a KAQ "New River" quilt from arrowhead equip. I have a NX-250 hammock and a 15 deg. bag to use as a top quilt. Does anyone have the New River that they use on the NX-250 specifically? If so, does it attach easily? Also, how well does it stay in place when one wiggles around?

Thanks in advance
    B.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I use my New River on my NX-250 all the time (I really want to spring for a down underquilt, but the New River works so well it's hard to justify the price differential). I take 4 Dutch Biners (mini carabiners work equally well) and clip the four corner loops on the UQ to the four stake-out loops on the Clark, snug up the end bungees and you are good to go for all night my friend!
    It never moves when rigged like that. If it gets too hot, simply loosen the ends so there is a breeze space between the Clark and the UQ. I'm telling you, those KickAss Quilts really do kick "it".

Go for it, you won't regret it.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I use my New River on my NX-250 all the time (I really want to spring for a down underquilt, but the New River works so well it's hard to justify the price differential). I take 4 Dutch Biners (mini carabiners work equally well) and clip the four corner loops on the UQ to the four stake-out loops on the Clark, snug up the end bungees and you are good to go for all night my friend!
    It never moves when rigged like that. If it gets too hot, simply loosen the ends so there is a breeze space between the Clark and the UQ. I'm telling you, those KickAss Quilts really do kick "it".

Go for it, you won't regret it.
    How cold have you taken it Waddy? Says 30, but I sleep warm, wondering how low I can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchego View Post
    How cold have you taken it Waddy? Says 30, but I sleep warm, wondering how low I can go.
    Me too, I'm interested in one of them as well.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I have been to 19 F, with medium weight underwear drawers, lightweight t-shirt with a fleece pullover, a wool skull cap, and an Arrowhead Owyhee winter weight top quilt. I was completely comfortable, even to the point of having to uncover my arms at times. I had a few items in the pockets, but minimal. I hope this helps, I am still testing out various cobinations of nothing but pockets, Z-Liners, Z-liners with UQ (somewhere around 2 degrees), and I still don't have a standard go-to formula. I tend to lean toward a little extra insulation rather than minimal. I can always cool off (we're talking high altitude Colorado cool to chilly nights here), but cold butt syndrome is not my cup of tea.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    20deg Zepplin
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks waddy, I found that so far only my legs get cold around 40-45 and have to put feet in bottom of bag. Usually all I need is a bag used as a blanket and I am good. With the clark and that under quilt I think I could be fine for what we have here in MN till late Nov. I am curious how the pockets will work with clothes as insul. I have also heard to stick gallon ziplock bags w/ air into the pockets to creat an air space b/t oneself and outside. Don't know if these work yet, but will find out this fall. I am going to see how I do this fall w/o the quilt. Then I will know what to get.

Thanks again

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I have been to 19 F, with medium weight underwear drawers, lightweight t-shirt with a fleece pullover, a wool skull cap, and an Arrowhead Owyhee winter weight top quilt.
    Thanks, I might have to look at one of these. I was down to 35ish with a 45 deg bag in a HH this spring, unexpected cold. All I had was a HH reflector pad under me, and a sweatshirt as a blanket on top of me. I was cold on top, but under was fine. Figure if I combined that reflector with a zero degree bag and some kind of underquilt I could probably be good to a rather low temp in the Clark with the weather shield zipped.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I suspect the second layer of fabric on the bottom of our Clarks, as UNSTRESSED loose layers, make the UQ lying over it more effective. Ridges still form but the portion of the complementary furrows under the pocket does not admit any cold air between the UQ and the hammock bottom.

• + New Posts