Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    20deg Zepplin
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Continuos loop and whoopie setup

Hi There, I joined this forum a little over a year ago and have gone from knowing nothing to enough to be dangerous. I have learned everything from reading forums here. I have successfully made Opie's adjustable tarp lines out of 1.75 zing it w/ silicone tubing at the end for stretch and wanted to try my hand at 7/64 amsteal loops and whoopies. I have purchased several sets from whoopeslings.com and thought id try my self. My question is, if I made 12'' loops its been stated in a thread to use a 6'' bury, if I wanted 8'' loops would I do the same and half it to 4'' burys or keep the 6''. I am 300lbs and don't want an accident Lol… I was just curious for a guideline for different loop sizes. The second question is on the whoopies, for the fixed eye how long of a bury is safe for me and on the working/adjustable end the same question? I want to make 6' whoopies and am trying to figure how much line to order. Im sure this has been answered somewhere but I got tired of reading. I understand about accounting for the taper, bury, the loss you get from the bury (25% of the bury length) and the actual length you want all added together for the loops. Does it work the same way for the whoopies? Sorry for the super long post, just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks so much
    Brian

I may be mistaken, but I think bury length is a function of the line diameter rather than the size of the loop or eye you're making. I believe minimum bury lengths are expressed as a multiple of splicing fid lengths (which are determined by line diameter).

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I am 275. I just made 24 whoopies for 12 hammocks I am giving to my cubscout leaders. I used 25' to make 2'-6' whoopies. Meaning they are adjustable from 2' to 6'. I use 5" bury for the fixed loop and 9" for the adjustable section. Most of what we do is overkill. As sgt rock said "your going to die". I think its best to keep an eye on your whoopies to make sure they are holding up. I have been hanging for the original set of whoopies I got with my bias camper. The whoopies have 5 or 6 inch bury for the adjustable and 3 or 4 on the fixed loop. The straps have a 3/4 inch box with an x in the center. Both well under the standards most diy'ers use.
    In case you need the info I cut the 25' in half. Splice all 4 ends about 3/4 of an inch. I measure out 5"'s and 11 from one end. Idont use a marker because all you have to do is grab either side the the mark and push and circle around and it holds the mark. I then make the fixed end and then measure out 10" from the fixed end and mark, then mark 9" from there. I then run the end thru the and finish by pulling about 2-3 inchs back thru. I also put a bead thru the adjustable loop to stop it from pulling in on itself. Any questions send me a pm.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yes, the bury length is dependant on rope diameter, not the length of the finished product.

Here's Samson Ropes splicing directions for whoopie slings made out of Amsteel blue. A "fid" is 21 times the rope diameter.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    20deg Zepplin
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Ok thanks to those of you who have responded.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Yes, the bury length is dependant on rope diameter, not the length of the finished product.

Here's Samson Ropes splicing directions for whoopie slings made out of Amsteel blue. A "fid" is 21 times the rope diameter.
    So... 7/64 = 9.14 x 21 192. 192 x2 384 ÷ 64 = 6 inches for bury on the locked brommel. And if I am going I the right direction 192 x 3.5 = 672 ÷ 64= 10.5 for the adjustable loop. Is my math correct? I have not taken a math class since high school.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    So... 7/64 = 9.14 x 21 192. 192 x2 384 ÷ 64 = 6 inches for bury on the locked brommel. And if I am going I the right direction 192 x 3.5 = 672 ÷ 64= 10.5 for the adjustable loop. Is my math correct? I have not taken a math class since high school.
    7 / 64 = 0.109375 x 21 = 2.296875 x 2.25 = 5.17". It use to be 3 fids and they now call for 2 1/4 fids. I still use a 6" bury including the tapered section.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    20deg Zepplin
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks, I think to play it safe I will use 6" bury including taper for all burys on my loops since Im not making any bigger than 12" and using 7/64. I will make my fixed eye bury 6" as well on the whoopies.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    7 / 64 = 0.109375 x 21 = 2.296875 x 2.25 = 5.17". It use to be 3 fids and they now call for 2 1/4 fids. I still use a 6" bury including the tapered section.
    it has been almost 20 years since I took a math class. I had the right concept but divided the wrong way. Thanks again gmcttr. BTW I use a 5" bury on the brommel and 9 on the loop. I was over an inch on the loop and under on the brommel. which is 8.0390625.

• + New Posts