Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I assume that you've seen the Turtle Dog Stand. It does not depend on counterforces outboard of the set up but connects the tripods by a rigid pipe to make it an intrinsic system.

The rigid connector prevents the towers collapsing toward each other by using compression resistance to balance forces. Cool, huh?

Mike
    Yes, that is pretty cool. This is what I'm trying to build:

The only thing that looks like it might not work with the Kelty poles is the tripod connector. The Kelty tarp poles are probably too short, so I'd have to lash 2 of them together to get sufficient length, which may be problematic with the compression forces. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get something else that is hopefully equally lightweight and collapsible. I'll probably get those aluminum poles in the photo.

Since I plan to use my setup indoors, and maybe even in hotel rooms (I'll bring my own bed!), I can't have any stakes. It has to be totally self-supporting.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Check this out. It's modular so looks like one could put pieces together until you run out of money: http://www.luxurylite.com/ssindex.html.

There must be a source for carbon tubes and ferrules that is cheaper.

Mike

16 feet of it would cost $450! I bought 8 Kelty tarp poles (66 feet) for around $250. I think it's safe to say those carbon fiber poles are out of my price range - at least for the quantity needed in a tripod stand. It might be reasonable for the guyed pole stand (1 pole at each end of the hammock). Thanks for the research though. Like you said, it might be possible to find carbon fiber poles cheaper. Or, maybe there are bamboo versions out there somewhere.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've hung from two poles that were 42" long. Granted I was only 8" off the ground, but I was off the ground. The poles were 2" dia. sapling sections; not the lightest for hiking with.

I also did one experiment with my Walmart telescoping hiking poles. I figured busting a pair of $20 was worth the test, but the poles didn't break. They didn't hold my weight (21- lbs) either, but collapsed. They almost held. The locking mechanisms weren't strong enough. It got me to wondering that if I inserted some fiberglass rods into the hiking pole sections, would it prevent the poles from collapsing? It also made me wonder how much the poles would weigh with the rods.

The Kelty tarp poles worked great for the tripods, but not so good for the top tripod connector thing:

The Kelty tarp poles are just too thin, and they tend to bend. I tried to support them better with paracord, but then they just bend in the other direction. I couldn't put my full weight into my hammock without risking damage to the 2 top poles. The only way those could work is with a disc in the center and guy lines to both ends for 360 degree stiffening all the way around. Paracord is too stretchy for that, and I don't have a suitable disc. If I had several more Kelty tarp poles, they might be stiff enough all bundled together like fasces, but that's too expensive for poles like these, and defeats the purpose of their light weight. I might have to get the military surplus aluminum poles:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/pole-...es-p-1476.html

But those are long and heavy, and not shock-corded. I did a quick google search for something in titanium, but nothing came up. It doesn't look like I'll be able to find anything as light and compact as the Kelty tarp poles, which is kind of disappointing.

The Kelty tarp poles are pretty much ideal for a project like this. There was no problem with lashing 2 of them together to get sufficient length. I plan on taking this whole setup with me when I travel, for use in hotel rooms and things like that.

Maybe somebody else will have a better idea. I haven't considered PVC yet. The Kelty poles are plenty strong, they just need to be a larger diameter to keep them from bending. They don't need to be heavier.
    Last edited by crundo; 10-02-2012 at 03:34.

Hello 2.ooohhh
    I am very impressed with your write up on hanging with your Kelty poles.
    These poles are on sale now: http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/KLTAP.html
    They say they are Kelty Tarp Poles but they do not mention the type of aluminum.
    I certainly want to get the strong stuff, so please tell me where you purchased yours for single pole hangin (one pole on each end) I am tiny by comparison to lots of folks here,
    only 6'4 and 235, so these should work very well for me. Is there a part number for these specific ones?
    Kelty makes lots of stuff, and I want to be sure I get the right ones.
    Thanks,

Peter
    PoleHangin everywhere

This is where I bought mine, for $27.99 each:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...Tarp-Pole.html

I used my free $60 in eBay bucks to buy these brand new poles to use as my tripod connector top pole:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300782439762

I only need 3 or 4 out of the 12 for my top pole, so I might buy more kelty poles to make more hammock stands. I want one of those huge Mayan hammocks too. That will be a lot easier to handle than a big stinky couch when it comes time to move to a new home.

By the way, I had a friend lay in my hammock while I held onto the top pole made from 2 lashed-together Kelty tarp poles. The tarp poles are plenty strong, and it took no effort whatsoever to hold them to keep them from bending.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I could probably use a few sections of cardboard mailing tubes to keep the kelty poles straight. Or, I could make some shoddy paper or plastic guy rings so I could use my paracord to keep the Kelty poles from bending.

There are fancy steel guy rings for the military surplus poles:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150910589847

But they weigh almost as much as the Kelty pole itself, and there is no need for that much strength. Seriously, only about 20 ounces of force was required to push the Kelty pole back into an unbended center position. Hmm, I might be able to use my Kelty poles for the tripod top connector after all.

I could make a PVC "spider" that serves the function of a the compressive equivalent of a guy ring. Now that I've got the military poles on the way, I can still use those with the either the steel or DIY PVC guy rings for my big Mayan hammock so a whole group of people could pile into it without risk of breaking the pole. I'll use the Kelty top pole for my light weight setup.

Tensegrity comes to the rescue! The guy lines will just connect to the ends of the top pole.

I've been doing this daily for a few months now. I ended up not doing anything with tensegrity, which is kind of a joke. All of its advantages are wasted in just keeping the structure rigid. It has its place, but it's rare.

I used 3 of the military surplus aluminum poles for my compression pole tripod connector (12 feet), and it works perfectly! I also figured out that with 4 kelty tripods, it's possible to hang 5 hammocks, and increases quickly with more tripods. It really beats the pants off of tensegrity in every way, including safety.

I haven't tested a maximum load on the Kelty poles, but I figured out the maximum possible practical loading is one end of up to 6 hammocks. I think that would probably be too close to the safe limits, so I decided not to put more than 3 or 4 hammock ends on a single tripod to ensure sizable safety margins with up to a 300 pound person in each hammock. With women or kids, I think it would be safe at the full maximum of 6 hammock ends on 1 tripod. That would make it easy to have a hammock farm for a scout camp or something like that.

...Until I realized trees are free

So, for now, I just use my Kelty poles for myself and for guests, indoors. I can set up 3 more hammocks in a triangle of tripods in my living room in a few minutes, and all 3 "beds" store very compactly in a closet corner. If I add 1 more tripod, I can hang 2 more hammocks for a total of 5!

Hammock
    Handy Hammock
    Insulation
    Bespoke
    Images
    Sounds like a job for Handy Hammock. The beach pegs will be back in stock on Monday/Tuesday
    Handy Hammock: The Worlds lightest portable hammock stand (54 ounces inc hammock)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast