Smokies / AT second week of August

A few friends and I are planning a 2 night backpacking trip in the Smokies. We might get on the AT, or just hike around GSMNP. Two of us (including myself) will be sleeping in hammocks. This would be my first backpacking trip with my hammock. I have a DIY 1.1 double, and I am in the process of making a bugnet. I also have a 12' Kelty Noah for me and another hammock.

What can you guys tell me about the weather? Would my 20 degree bag be cool enough to be comfortable at this time of year? That's the only type of insulation I have. I could also put my thermarest into my hammock and use a blanket on top. Got any tips for sleeping comfortably this time of year in the Smokies?

And any suggestions on where to go? We would probably like to do less than 10-12 miles per day, and it would have to be a round trip.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    A few friends and I are planning a 2 night backpacking trip in the Smokies. We might get on the AT, or just hike around GSMNP. Two of us (including myself) will be sleeping in hammocks. This would be my first backpacking trip with my hammock. I have a DIY 1.1 double, and I am in the process of making a bugnet. I also have a 12' Kelty Noah for me and another hammock.

What can you guys tell me about the weather? Would my 20 degree bag be cool enough to be comfortable at this time of year? That's the only type of insulation I have. I could also put my thermarest into my hammock and use a blanket on top. Got any tips for sleeping comfortably this time of year in the Smokies?

And any suggestions on where to go? We would probably like to do less than 10-12 miles per day, and it would have to be a round trip.
    better check with the park before you go. I spoke to Christine Hoyer GSMNP trails and volunteer coordinator and she said a vast majority of the trails are closed or severally damaged
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    West Side of park is storm damaged, rest is good to go, except check GSMNP for campsite that are closed to bears and storm damage, click on link below.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    weather in the smokies,,click on link and check out various places for updates on weather.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/weather.htm
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post

We might be interested. It just depends on what is going on at that time and what trails we would be on. My son and I are slow hikers. Just FYI. Just let us know what the trip plan is and we may be in for this.

I dont think you'll need your bugnet, but I would bring it just in case. Sept can be cool but you never know. The weather has been really odd lately. As far as the 20 degree bag, yes it will be good enough. The thermarest will be good and help out. I also went to Walgreens and bought a car window sun shade for $2. It will help keep the body heat in. I dont have an underquilt yet but I plan on making one. So I'm kinda in the same boat.
    Last edited by Oper8or; 07-15-2012 at 21:26. Reason: verbage!!
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

• + New Posts