WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    No better time for a mass hanging than Halloween!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Heard this today in Indy.

The predicted forecast that the weather bureau put out today for the months of Aug, Sept, and Oct..are the same as what we have right now,,the drought will prolong that long,,above normal temps thru Oct, and below precipitation. DNR put out another water warning along side this for people to keep their pets, and to watch the lakes/ponds, for green algae and red algea blooms as it will kill pets and harm humans. DNR is also considering another warning for EHD disease again in our deer heards,,like 4-5 yrs ago when we lost as much as 50% of the herd from musty water they drank..I just wanted to post this as that pond may not be worth drinking out of. They also stated for the drought to break,,it would take in most places of Indiana, between 9 and 12 inches of continuous rain and that is not going to happen by no means in the next 3 months. Might have to pack your water this time around, as we will just have to wait and see.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Very good information to have Acer....thank you.
    The site is about a 45 minute hike back to the car, so fetching water should not be a problem. Let's just hope we get rain.
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Forcast is not looking good at all for the next 3 months,,I really hope they are wrong. This fireban has lasted longer than I can remember and getting dryer all the time,,I am starting to clear underbrush in woods away from the house,,not that I want to,,just think its necessary in case of a fire.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    The predicted forecast that the weather bureau put out today for the months of Aug, Sept, and Oct..are the same as what we have right now,,the drought will prolong that long,,above normal temps thru Oct, and below precipitation.
    We're just saving all the precip this year until it's in the form of snow

But seriously, I hope things start to level out...it's bad out there. We're finally getting a good soaker in Ft Wayne right now, and got a good 2 inches recently. I broke out the lawn mower for the first time since May, mostly to mulch up the dead leaves - it looks like fall!

On the water issue, what about chlorine dioxide? I trust that stuff 100%, even with these stagnant ponds. I know you should normally choose the best water available, but should I reconsider it's effectiveness? For instance, the water holes in Deam Wilderness would normally kill my Vario almost immediately...after prefiltering. I couldn't imagine what they're like now, if there's any water in them at all.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

Water

One solution to the water issue while hanging on Browning Hill, for the Halloween Hang. Would be to cache water at the bottom of the hill. Place it off Combs Road near the intersection of the trail south off of the hill. Or in a vehicle left with permission on the property of the gentleman that lives there. A couple young sets of legs could then retrieve the cache for everyone. Or just hike it up from the intersection and cache it before the event.
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Things could change between now and then, but in the past I've always planned on carrying water into Browning Hill. We will sometimes cache, a liter or two on the way in, to be picked up on the way out.

I try not to drink out of stagnant water sources, so the pond is out for me. I will filter from the small branch on the backside of the ridge there, but it's dry now, and is seasonal enough to stay out of play, unless the weather patterns change for the better.

If it's everyone for themselves this year, and you elect to go BIN, considering all the rest of the "beverages" that seem to find there way to the hangs, water weight shouldn't play into that much of a factor.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    I was out there about 4 weeks ago, and the pond is downright dreadful. I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely dried up, or at least a pool of muck now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Reckon View Post
    One solution to the water issue while hanging on Browning Hill, for the Halloween Hang. Would be to cache water at the bottom of the hill. Place it off Combs Road near the intersection of the trail south off of the hill. Or in a vehicle left with permission on the property of the gentleman that lives there. A couple young sets of legs could then retrieve the cache for everyone.
    Anybody want to throw some gear into the pot for a 4 gallon water race up the hill? That's a pretty brutal climb; would be good motivation for some fast water.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Just FYI - I changed the thread title from '3rd Annual Halloween Hang' to '3rd Annual Hoosier Halloween Hang'. There are quite a few hangs that time of year...best to be a bit descriptive in the thread titles.

Hangout tshirts are a fun idea. Please remember to send a copy of your design to one of the mods if it uses the HF logo. Some folks have an interesting take on the term 'in good taste', so we just need to review where it gets used.

Have a great hang guys.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by crashvandicoot View Post
    I was out there about 4 weeks ago, and the pond is downright dreadful. I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely dried up, or at least a pool of muck now.

Anybody want to throw some gear into the pot for a 4 gallon water race up the hill? That's a pretty brutal climb; would be good motivation for some fast water.
    I just hope there will be some off track betting sanctioned, if this actually happens
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast